San Francisco vacation

1,960 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chet98
Tarleton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for some insight on things to see/ do in San Francisco later this month. The family and I will be there for a short 3 day stay.
Thanks advance
aTm2004
AG
Mama's on Washington Square is a great place for breakfast/brunch. It's small, so go early or plan on standing in line and enjoying the great weather.
DeadCiv
AG
Day One:
Walk downtown. Ride the cable cars. Eat lunch in North Beach. Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista at 4p after the fog rolls in. (make everyone bring a jacket so you don't have to buy the $75 fleeces at Fisherman's Wharf). Eat a late dinner in Chinatown. Can't beat the House of Nanking.

Day Two:
Rent a car and drive up to Marin. Breakfast in Sausalito. Fred's, Lighthouse, Bayside - take your pick. Drive up to Muir Woods for the redwoods. Feel free to get off the main trail. Picnic lunch at Stinson Beach. ( No need for a bathing suit. Too cold to swim.) I'd recommend visiting Tiburon for dinner, but Guymas is closed and I don't know what's moved in. Mill Valley will have good choices, and I always liked the Buckeye Roadhouse. The Mountain Home Inn on Mt Tamalpais would be a homerun, but can be tough to get into.

Day Three:
By now you're going to be tapped. Sleep late. Have brunch at Delancey Street. Wander down and buy tickets to the Giants game. They stink this year so tickets will be cheap. Enjoy the view of Oakland and the surprisingly good craft beer at the park. Food is good too. Walk back to the hotel and eat anywhere that looks interesting. I guarantee it'll be terrific.

Remember that SF is both hot and cold in September. It'll be 80 at 11am and 55 at 4pm, so wear a shorts and a bring a jacket. Leave your MAGA hat at home.

Great. Now I'm homesick.
DeadCiv
AG
aTm2004 said:

Mama's on Washington Square is a great place for breakfast/brunch. It's small, so go early or plan on standing in line and enjoying the great weather.
If the line is too long, go across the street to the Liguria Bakery. Buy some fresh focaccia and eat it in the park. Good times.
chet98
AG
Am heading to SF for a quick weekend with just the wife over weekend of Aug 24. We're not planning to have a rental car as its like $75 to park at our hotel (near Union Square). Any clue what Uber to Sausalito might run? Also is parking in North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf area, etc. just insanely difficult (use Uber instead of trying to park a rent car)?

Finally what's the haps on the homeless situation there? Rumors are its running rampant and that the panhandlers have gotten extremely aggressive.
John Francis Donaghy
You can take the ferry out to sausalito. From there you can walk around town and hop a shuttle bus to Muir Woods. Depending on the number of people you're traveling with, an Uber might be cheaper than all the individual tickets.

Homeless are bad in and around the Tenderloin. The touristy parts of the city are fine. Just be careful like you would in any major city.
chet98
AG
Thanks. Just the wife and me this time! Quick vacation without kiddos for the first time in ages.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.