Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Ags?

2,842 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
HTXAG19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Highly considering taking a position in Cincinnati. Any Ags up in that area? I'd be moving there fresh out of college in January. Just curious on what it's like living up there, recommendations on where to live, things to do, etc.
John Francis Donaghy
There is a pretty active A&M group in the area. Check out the SW Ohio A&M Club on Facebook.

Cincinnati is a very nice mid-size city with a good amount of young professionals. Climate is very temperate. All seasons last almost exactly 3 months. Summers are low to mid 90s. Winters are usually 30s and 40s. You'll get some snow, usually a few inches worth at a time, and it melts within a few days. Heavy snows are rare and the roads are well taken care of. Spring and Fall are damn near perfect.

I've been gone a while, and from what I hear some neighborhoods that were no-go's when I was there are pretty desirable now, so I won't comment too much on where to live. But in general, east of downtown is a good direction. Hyde Park/Oakley is a phenomenal area if you can swing it. Thats where a lot of the city's old money is, so it's very stable and full of great shops and restaurants. Similar to Highland Park and University Park in Dallas. Expensive though.

TONS of great breweries if you're a beer drinker. Be sure to check out Mad Tree if you make it up, their beer is fantastic and one of the founders is an Ag.
(removed:10EA24-2)
The Museum of Art there is a Must See
FancyKetchup14
AG
Lived there until a year and a half ago.

Oakley/Hyde Park is arguably the most desirable for young professionals. If you want to ball out, try and find a place up on Mt Adams, but wintertime is a b*tch cause of the hills. Over the Rhine (OTR) used to be super seedy but has gone through lots of gentrification. That's where the most popular brewery is (Rhinegeist). It's way safer than it used to be, but I still wouldn't leave any valuables in my car when I went. The Cincinnati Oktoberfest is a blast too.

You'll want to sh*t on Skyline chili, but go in to it with an open mind and you might like it.

As commented, summers aren't bad. They'll get humid occasionally and in the low 90's. Really great fall and spring time though. I loved fall in Ohio.

Winter can be tough. FWIW I spent a year in Cleveland before transferring to Cincinnati and the milder winter was seemingly a godsend.

It won't be super mild, but it won't be a brutal winter either. You'll get some snow and cold temps but overall the state of Ohio is great at clearing roads.

One thing to consider, if you want to avoid state income tax, live across the river in kentucky.
HTXAG19
Does Kentucky not have state income tax? I've heard mixed things on taxes for Ohio and Kentucky, but I found a tax calculator online and it says Ohio has lower state income tax.
John Francis Donaghy
HTXAG19 said:

Does Kentucky not have state income tax? I've heard mixed things on taxes for Ohio and Kentucky, but I found a tax calculator online and it says Ohio has lower state income tax.

Kentucky does have a state income tax. 5% flat rate, I think. Ohio has been cutting its state income taxes pretty dramatically to be more attractive to new business growth. It wouldnt surprise me at all if Ohio has the lower overall state tax bill now. But be sure to do you research based on your expected income. Amd be on the lookout for wierd one-off taxes on things like your car, I seem to remember Kentucky having something like that.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Huh I guess they do? I'm a dumbass. For some reason I always thought they didn't which was why a lot of the athletes lived over there.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Also, lots of awesome hiking in Ohio and northern Kentucky. Red River Gorge in Nor Kentucky is awesome. Make your way up to central Ohio for some hiking in the fall. I really liked going to Hocking Hills state park, which was near Athens.

If you want a weekend trip, Pittsburgh isn't far and is worth your time. There's an awesome music festival in louisville every summer called Forecastle. Nashville is a 4.5 hour drive away.

Lots of good golf and public courses in Hamilton County. My favorites were Sharon Woods and the Vineyard. Out by Oxford (where Miami University is located, a really cool little college town) you can play at Miami Whitewater.

Try the buckeye candies. Loved Dewey's pizza (a Cleveland original). Also Graeters Icecream will make bluebell taste like it was made out of a trash can. Arguably the best ice cream I've ever had.

"THE" Ohio State fans suck by the way. Hopefully they get humbled now that their daddy Urban Meyer left.
HTXAG19
Thanks a bunch for the info! I think I finally found a place to live near East Walnut Hills and Hyde Park. I will definitely be checking out those golf courses and hikes, since that's something I can do while I won't know anybody up there.
CrottyKid
AG
I live in Lexington, KY, and I ditto everything about the seasons. Late Spring, all of Summer, and early Fall are absolutely magical weather. My family is outside for hours everyday during that stretch.
AgEng98
One word: Goetta

Plus you're close enough to Lexington and Louisville for bourbon, horses, hot browns, Ale-81, and basketball if you can get tickets. I went to grad school at UK and I'd move back to that part of the world in a heartbeat.
MeatDr
AG
An early welcome to the area! My husband and I have lived in Milford for two years now. We're the current co-presidents of the Southwest Ohio A&M Club. Look us up on Facebook and join the group if you haven't yet (or if you don't do Facebook, just make sure your address is current with the Association so you get our emails), and feel free to message me if you need anything!

We're actively working on increasing how active the club has been and engaging all sorts of Ags that hadn't been involved previously, so it's a good time to join our group! Hoping to schedule a few happy hours in addition to Muster next spring, so hopefully we will see you at one of those events!
Shooz in Katy
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.