We just got our kicks on Route 66…

1,753 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by twk
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mega trip as we drove Birmingham for a quick layover then on to Savannah for 4 days. Then up to Rehoboth Beach Delaware for a week at the Shore before driving to Chicago to do the first half of Route 66. Once we got to Oklahoma City, we headed home to Southlake. Will do the second half the first week of November during the Rt. 66 100 year Anniversary Month.



Many of my friends have asked about it and here are a few highlights, lowlights and recommendations.

First, there is no Route 66 anymore; it's been replaced or recovered or rerouted. What you're doing is ferreting out the original Route with the aid of Maps, Apps, and situational awareness. Like flying a Low Level: Road-Map-App. Rinse and repeat. It's intense. It's real time. You really have to be focused and make constant adjustments. Attention to detail is paramount.

You're trying to find the exact original road and the original stops along the way. Many times your navigation will take you across the new highway, zig zagging back and forth as you trace Rt. 66. There are markers along the way, but sometimes they are spaced out miles so you have to trust your nav skills to hit the next waypoint.

It's exhausting. It's exhilarating. It's pure fun and a real slice of Americana. The road takes you through countless small towns and many look like they did 50 to 70 years ago. So very very cool to slow down and see our country this way.

I did the driving and Cindy navigated. She was pretty much spot on in not only processing the information for 3 sources but also explains it to me as I drove and made adjustments. We had a few turn around, but we never got lost. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have had that level of focus and precision over 8 or 9 hours each day.

There are countless places to stop and wander, peruse, eat and sightsee. We selected our stops ahead of time but also made allowances for last second curiosity's; you can't rush this trip as there's too much to see and processing the information for you route is just too complex to be hurried.

We were pretty fortunate. Took my big truck which was powerful (Big V8) and had an elevated view. It also handles the the original sections of the route which could get very rough. In fact, one section near Pacific Missouri claims the highest number of tire failures - learned this from the AAA guy that came out and put my spare on when we had a blowout. We then put on 4 new tires at the Springfield Costco 130 miles down the road.

Most def make sure you have AAA or USAA roadside coverage. A simple call will have a mechanic out in less than an hour. 95 degrees on a crowded two lane with minimal room on the shoulder - you don't want to be fixing a tire in your Birkenstocks…

We're hitting the second half this November which is the exact month of the 100 year anniversary. Ok-Tx-Nm-Az-Ca.
Will take it a bit slower this time. I was always pushing and Cindy wanted to slow down and enjoy more sites. We're going to mark each day on the map instead of just driving until we just got too tired and elected to find a Route 66 retro hotel.
Langley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How much of a "crowd" are in some of these parts and do you talk to others along the way?

I guess my question is how popular is this
NE PA Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First, did you get Fisher's Popcorn while you were in Rehoboth? I'm not even a big caramel popcorn fan, but theirs is awesome.

Also, the western half of Route 66 in Arizona is a lot of fun.
Aggie87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the western half of 66 is better than the eastern half, myself. And the AZ portion is pretty cool.

We had dinner in Kingman last weekend driving home from Las Vegas to Scottsdale, at an old diner (Mr. D's). Food was average but the vibe was awesome.

Williams is also cool for it's Rt 66 vibe.
chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Super fun. Amarillo, Tucumcari and Albuquerque are all worth detours into town to see the vintage leftovers. Last month I was in Santa Rosa NM and rode my bike on the route. Here are 2 picks.

chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Langley said:

How much of a "crowd" are in some of these parts and do you talk to others along the way?

I guess my question is how popular is this


I've seen European motorcycle riders doing the whole route on a guided tour
Chet Ripley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How many days did you spend between Chicago and Oklahoma City? I'm looking at driving that portion in a couple months but wasn't sure how much time to allow.
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chico said:

Langley said:

How much of a "crowd" are in some of these parts and do you talk to others along the way?

I guess my question is how popular is this


I've seen European motorcycle riders doing the whole route on a guided tour

We had lunch with a bunch of rich Australian tourists - 21 of them driving high class BMW rentals and 3 Harleys at Gay Pariita. They started in Las Vegas and drove south join eastbound.

yes on the popcorn - and Dolly's taffy and of course Grotto and Niccolas pizza.

i was a bit surprised as the stops were not very crowded at all. We did it with 10 hour days over 4 days. Coukd have easily done it in 3 or 6 days. Depends on how slow you take it and what stops you make. A limiting factor is most places close at 5pm with another 3 hours of daylight left.
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honey cornbread muffins at Big Verns in Shamrock, TX.
Deerdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to do this on my Harley but need to research doing a group tour or some such.
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deerdude said:

I want to do this on my Harley but need to research doing a group tour or some such.

I ride too, but some of the stretches were pretty rough. We actually had a blow out on a chewed up bypass near Memphis Missouri.

YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a cool trip. I've actually been thinking about this more now that we've moved out west because you see R66 signage all over Santa Fe, NM. Never really see it in Texas like you do here.

I'm assuming that the western portion is easier to navigate than the eastern simply because spaces are more wide open and signage is more prominent.
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm probably going to do this someday. I drove the entire Pacific Coast from Seattle (went up to the Olympic Peninsula) down to San Diego driving US 101 and California 1, and that was fun mostly for the natural scenery. 66 is a little bit different, but I love the history of the old, abandoned routes.
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

What a cool trip. I've actually been thinking about this more now that we've moved out west because you see R66 signage all over Santa Fe, NM. Never really see it in Texas like you do here.

I'm assuming that the western portion is easier to navigate than the eastern simply because spaces are more wide open and signage is more prominent.

66 only goes(went?) through a small stretch of Texas compared to New Mexico. Unless you are in the tip of the Panhandle, I wouldn't expect to see anything about it. Now if it had followed the path of I10 or something, that would be a different story.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAG 05 said:

YouBet said:

What a cool trip. I've actually been thinking about this more now that we've moved out west because you see R66 signage all over Santa Fe, NM. Never really see it in Texas like you do here.

I'm assuming that the western portion is easier to navigate than the eastern simply because spaces are more wide open and signage is more prominent.

66 only goes(went?) through a small stretch of Texas compared to New Mexico. Unless you are in the tip of the Panhandle, I wouldn't expect to see anything about it. Now if it had followed the path of I10 or something, that would be a different story.


Yeah, I didn't think about that.
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You'll see the original Rt. 66 in Amarillo, there are signs along the route, it runs parallel to I-40.
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I-40 in Texas followed the original route pretty closely, so there aren't as many spots where you can find the character of the old, pre-interstate road, as you can in some other states.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.