Southwest floating idea of dropping free bags

4,450 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Bayou City
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Petrino1 said:

Do customers really enjoy the cattle call boarding system of SWA? I purposely avoid SWA because of that. Its not like SWA is any cheaper than the major airlines either, I cant recall many times in the past 10 years where SWA was cheaper than United or AA flying out of Houston. Even their mileage redemption options arent that cheap compared to the other major airlines. I also prefer flying out of IAH vs Hobby because of the IAH lounges and food options.

Not sure what competitive advantage SWA has these days that would cause someone to choose them over another airline with similar or cheaper prices. Sure, I would choose them if they were significantly cheaper than the competition, but they typically aren't cheaper at all.

Yeah, it's not cattle call boarding. You board with your group, which is usually about 30 other people. You line up orderly, and the line usually forms parallel along the windows facing the tarmac, so the line doesn't end up snaking out into in the main aisle/walkway for all airport traffic.

I've maybe seen someone "skip" the line twice in 20 years of flying SW. Usually when passengers line up, they ask the people around them "what number" they are to make sure they aren't jumping ahead. SW also doesn't call for the next boarding group until everyone in line for the previous boarding group is checked in and in the jetway. It's an extremely orderly process.

SW got the shaft at IAH and was assigned a very small boarding area, but even that was a better situation than some other experiences I've had.

I fly American and United, and have had much more chaotic boarding experiences with both. American is the worse of the two. The last time I flew American, the majority of the plane was in groups 7+. They also called for "groups 7 and above" before everyone from the groups 1-6 had boarded. So it was total chaos, with people pushing ahead of each other, with no one really knowing what group anyone was in and people yelling that others cut in line.

The boarding line also ran perpendicular to the podium where agents were scanning boarding passes, which meant it also ran past the customer service desk (and out into the main path of traffic for the terminal). Our plane was delayed by 6 hours so a lot of passengers were being called up to the desk for seat assignments. The boarding line impeded access to and the lines for the desk, and when people finished at the desk, they just jumped in line, ahead of everyone else who was waiting. Boarding was a total mess.
jh0400
AG
Petrino1 said:

Do customers really enjoy the cattle call boarding system of SWA? I purposely avoid SWA because of that. Its not like SWA is any cheaper than the major airlines either, I cant recall many times in the past 10 years where SWA was cheaper than United or AA flying out of Houston. Even their mileage redemption options arent that cheap compared to the other major airlines. I also prefer flying out of IAH vs Hobby because of the IAH lounges and food options.

Not sure what competitive advantage SWA has these days that would cause someone to choose them over another airline with similar or cheaper prices. Sure, I would choose them if they were significantly cheaper than the competition, but they typically aren't cheaper at all.

Until an airline figures out true back to front boarding with reserved bin space, all boarding will suck. Southwest has its issues, but United boarding is just as bad. I usually board in group one and still get the privilege of getting hit with overstuffed backpacks from the later group pax.
Petrino1
TXTransplant said:

Petrino1 said:

Yeah, it's not cattle call boarding. You board with your group, which is usually about 30 other people. You line up orderly, and the line usually forms parallel along the windows facing the tarmac, so the line doesn't end up snaking out into in the main aisle/walkway for all airport traffic.

I've maybe seen someone "skip" the line twice in 20 years of flying SW. Usually when passengers line up, they ask the people around them "what number" they are to make sure they aren't jumping ahead. SW also doesn't call for the next boarding group until everyone in line for the previous boarding group is checked in and in the jetway. It's an extremely orderly process.

SW got the shaft at IAH and was assigned a very small boarding area, but even that was a better situation than some other experiences I've had.

I fly American and United, and have had much more chaotic boarding experiences with both. American is the worse of the two. The last time I flew American, the majority of the plane was in groups 7+. They also called for "groups 7 and above" before everyone from the groups 1-6 had boarded. So it was total chaos, with people pushing ahead of each other, with no one really knowing what group anyone was in and people yelling that others cut in line.

The boarding line also ran perpendicular to the podium where agents were scanning boarding passes, which meant it also ran past the customer service desk (and out into the main path of traffic for the terminal). Our plane was delayed by 6 hours so a lot of passengers were being called up to the desk for seat assignments. The boarding line impeded access to and the lines for the desk, and when people finished at the desk, they just jumped in line, ahead of everyone else who was waiting. Boarding was a total mess.
Yea I get that, I guess I just prefer picking my own assigned seat ahead of time and knowing where I'll be seating, versus having to remember to check-in 24 hours before with SWA and hoping I can get a good boarding letter. I also like the option of being able to upgrade to premium or first class.

I still don't understand the competitive advantage that SWA has these days when their flights cost as much as everyone else's.
TXTransplant
They def don't have the cost advantage anymore. Their prices are up significantly, and their flight times are sometimes very limited and/or terrible.

I don't mind not picking a seat, because I know if I board in groups A or B, I will get an aisle seat. And if I really want to, I can pay $20 to upgrade to A (and prob get an exit row seat). That's still usually cheaper than the seat selection cost on other airlines.

But their overall ticket prices are not the savings they used to be. The last time I flew SW, it was out of IAH to Fresno (visiting Yosemite) through Vegas. That was a much better and cheaper option than anything United offered. But SW pulled out of IAH, and HOU is a farther drive for me than IAH.

With that said, everyone's prices are way up. I've made several of the same trips over the last few years on SW, AA, United, and West Jet. Based on my anecdotal experiences, prices are up about 30% over the last 2-3 years.

Air travel is just miserable right now.
Sea Speed
AG
txags92 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Anybody want to dump their Southwest points let me know……

How much you offering for them?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sea Speed said:

txags92 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Just checked and Southwest has a "deal" going for buying points at 50% off.
Looked up a flight to Atlanta that costs $400 out of pocket or I can buy 28,000 points to cover the flight for $420.
What a deal.
Sea Speed
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Sea Speed said:

txags92 said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Just checked and Southwest has a "deal" going for buying points at 50% off.
Looked up a flight to Atlanta that costs $400 out of pocket or I can buy 28,000 points to cover the flight for $420.
What a deal.
Bulldog73
AG
Outright buying points for any airlines is rarely a good idea.
Sea Speed
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Agreed but a while back I believe Hilton has something like 75% off which essentially gave you a 5 day vacation at a top property for the price of 2 nights because of you stay 4 nights on points the 5th night is free. I still look out for that one occasionally.

ETA I understand Hilton is not an airline
Diggity
AG
About the only time purchasing miles makes sense is when they're "on sale" and you need to top off your balance to have enough for a flight.
Bulldog73
AG
You're right, and there are exceptions to the rule. Once you hit 70%+ it's worth actually doing the math. Hyatt is another points program sometimes worth buying.
62strat
AG
txags92 said:

Petrino1 said:

Their cattle call system is no different than all the "boarding group" lineups for United or any other airline. At least southwest gives you your place in line ahead of time so you can just walk up right before boarding starts and get in your spot in line.

cattle call is very different, because I can be in the united club when everyone is fighting to board, then just walk up and on the be on the plane a bit before the door closing. I do that even when I'm group 1 or 2. I don't want to sit on a plane for 20-30 min. longer than I have to.

I don't mind my backpack being underneath seat in front of me.. it's usually underneath the one next to me where one of my kid sits anyway.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I understand and I'll have A list preferred through next year so I'm set. Was just posting to show the " deal".
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sea Speed said:

Bulldog73 said:

Agreed but a while back I believe Hilton has something like 75% off which essentially gave you a 5 day vacation at a top property for the price of 2 nights because of you stay 4 nights on points the 5th night is free. I still look out for that one occasionally.

ETA I understand Hilton is not an airline

That is a good one. I got a 100% points bonus on Hilton a few years ago so I bought 160,000 points for $1,600 then was given another 160,000 points. Rooms at the Homewood Suites in Jackson, Wyoming were going for $850 per night or 80,000 points per night but for $1,600 I used the fifth night free award and used points on that stay. Saved a lot on that one.
Sea Speed
AG
That's what it is, bogo. Great deal.
Ag CPA
AG
austinag1997 said:

Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Southwest Airlines Polls Customers on Changing Free Bag Policy

I bet they miraculously find out "80%" of customers don't like free bags either.

They're on the fast track to becoming Spirit.

SWA is being pushed by new investors to maximize revenue by:

1. Paying for checked luggage and,
2. Moving to assigned seating.

They will lose market share with these moves.
I have not flown SWA in 20+ years primarily because of the boarding process and seating nonsense (don't care about checked bags) but I personally would probably fly them again if things changed.
Bulldog73
AG
No surprises here, but more changes are coming.

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/southwest-airlines-shakeup-board-chairman-gary-kelly/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2GQ2avjdrz_YjgZGwm5-vtwD54oHyua0UI6ySfXuT_UeOJzGVLNdHTAlA_aem_JsIFW3JsMOvlyA7cC0MwRw&ai=#m0wrmsg1tsbudphf2mj
txags92
AG
Flew SW to Spokane and back over the weekend. Pretty uneventful overall. Did have the unfortunate experience of sitting in an aisle seat (wife had the window seat) with a guy in the middle with a build best described as "Wreck'em Ralph". His shoulders were giant and he was easily 3 bills (no travel scrabble or Taco Bell bag). He actually sat down and admitted that he was unaware SW didn't have assigned seats and had waited to check in until he arrived at the airport. As somebody in his text conversations said..."How could you not know that?!" My wife and I got about 1/2 a seat each and he was miserable all the way from Spokane to San Jose.
Bayou City
JetBlue announces they will be opening travel lounges. $20 says Southwest follows suit.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened."

Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.