Montreal and Quebec City

1,092 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by superunknown
aggies4life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a wedding in Vermont towards the end of September - being so close to the border of Canada…figured I'd make my way to Montreal and Quebec City.

How many days is sufficient in each of those cities for those who have been?

Also, since I'll probably have a rental - anything 2-4 hours away that i should visit?

Not sure if Ottawa is worth adding?

Will fly into Burlington, vt - rent a car and cross over in to Canada after the wedding stuff finishes.
TXTransplant
From my trip in May

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3460085
dmperch
AG
Just got back on Sunday. We flew into Montreal on a Saturday. Stayed until Tuesday and left for Quebec City. Left Quebec City on Friday to head back to Montreal and fly out Saturday, but the Crowdstrike delay pushed our flight home back to Sunday.

We liked Quebec City way more than Montreal. If we went back we would probably skip Montreal all together, but if you haven't been it's probably worth spending a day or two there. Check out old Montreal, Molson Brewery, Notre Dame, Olympic Park, World Fair Park/F1 Track. We also walked around the farmers market in Little Italy.

Quebec City was awesome. Mostly just walking around and checking things out. We're Catholic, so walked through the Holy Doors. Saw the Citadel, went to the big hotel, and hit some bars around the area. One day we went out and saw Montmorency Falls and then went to Ile de Orleans. We drove around and did wineries and cideries, you can probably spend an entire day doing the waterfall and driving the island. Beautiful houses and scenery out there. The countryside on the island reminds me of the European countryside and Quebec City reminds me of a European city, lots of restaurants and stuff in the streets. Very beautiful city.

If I did it again I think we would fly into Montreal, do an afternoon and then a full day there and then head to Quebec City the next morning. Probably spend the afternoon and an additional two full days in Quebec City and leave the next day around lunch.

I guess in summary 2ish days in Montreal and 3-4 days in Quebec City is probably enough. Ate at some awesome restaurants in both places, happy to tell you some of those too.

ETA: I've heard Montreal airport can be a nightmare to leave from, but we got there at noon for our flight at 5:00pm and walked straight through security. Took us maybe 5 minutes to get through US Customs at the Montreal airport
duck79
AG
My experience is the same as above. The wife and I went last summer and stayed in Montreal then rented a car and drove up to QC for the day. We loved QC and while Montreal had a few nice areas, it was just another big city. I would highly recommend spending more time in QC and just relaxing. If we were to go back we'd fly directly to QC and stay there.
TXTransplant
I also much preferred Quebec City over Montreal. I'm glad I visited both but Montreal was just too much - too big, too crowded, too much construction, etc.

I think my travel preferences have changed. I have come to prefer quieter, smaller city and countryside trips rather than big city adventures, and Montreal is def a big city.

If you can swing a night or two at Manoir Hovey, it is a real gem.
aggies4life
AG
Thanks to each of you!!
aggies4life
AG
Thinking of changing my flight back to Houston to leave from buffalo - so I could add Ottawa, Toronto and Niagara Falls….could I get enough in one day at each of these places?

Thoughts?
Random Ag
AG
That will be a LOT of driving. My boss lives in Ottawa, it's the capital so good architecture and history there but I'd pry just hit up more around Vermont.
superunknown
AG
Ottawa has a multi-story Ikea if that interests you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.