Yellowstone National Park in Mid-October

1,268 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Scotts Tot
rwhitlock3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are headed flying to Bozeman for a week in mid-October for her birthday and bringing our 2.5 year old daughter. We have flights booked but that is it. Any recommendations on places to stay, things to do, etc would be appreciated.

We definitely plan on doing some easy-to-medium level hikes.

Thanks in advance!
chris1515
AG
That's a wee bit late I think for Yellowstone.

The last few times I've been there in September I've seen snow.
Pro Sandy
AG
In Bozeman,

I've taken kids hiking around Fairy Lake and up Sacagawea Peak.

Also did Mystic Lake from Rosebud. No kids on that one, rented a national forest cabin.

Yellowstone will just be a game day decision. I've gone in December with no snow around Mammoth. Kids loved the boiling river.
barnacle bob
AG
Late September early October is my favorite time there. Mid October you should expect there to be no lodging or dining options in park, you will need to check.

Last year I was there through 10/2 and it was fine. Some light snow and rain here and there, but otherwise great temps and thin crowds.

YNP is doable that time, you will just need to plan and approach differently. Taking a cooler and expect to do lunch and dinner on your own in park and planning out bathroom stops. Be prepared for weather related road closures, there are some high passes, mainly south between old faithful and west thumb and north east between canyon and Rosevelt.

Are you planning on staying in one place or open to moving around that week?

If open to moving around I would target the gateway cities at north entrance or west for two nights then drive south through park and see tetons and stay in Jackson. Jackson will have more and significantly better dining options than the gateway cities, and other activities.

With a 2.5 yo for hikes you are probably looking for some quick hits. I'd target the geyser basins, and boardwalk around old faithful. Mammoth hot springs, and some walks around canyon, the brink is cool. There aren't as many quick (2mile or less) payoff hikes in YNP. Lots of animal spotting in the valleys. The drive along east side is great along river and lake. In my opinion you will have better bang for buck hikes in Tetons. They are all great.

Enjoy! It's hard to mess up, but go in having a plan that is flexible.

AgCWby90CS
AG
Me and the wife will be flying to Bozeman for a week drive and stay, the first week of September, Livingston, West Yellowstone, Missoula, Butte and a couple days in Helena. We've searched and watched on YouTube for ideas and recommendations.
Ideas: Bozeman - Palisade Falls(stroller accessible hike), Mountain Grizzly Encounter for rescued and rehabilitated bears & Museum of the Rockies.
Butte has World Mining Museum
Missoula has a fort museum and "Hike the M"
In Helena, there's a trolly ride around town and a Gates of the Mountains lake tour just north of Helena.
CWby '90
Drip99
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

Me and the wife will be flying to Bozeman for a week drive and stay, the first week of September, Livingston, West Yellowstone, Missoula, Butte and a couple days in Helena. We've searched and watched on YouTube for ideas and recommendations.
Ideas: Bozeman - Palisade Falls(stroller accessible hike), Mountain Grizzly Encounter for rescued and rehabilitated bears & Museum of the Rockies.
Butte has World Mining Museum
Missoula has a fort museum and "Hike the M"
In Helena, there's a trolly ride around town and a Gates of the Mountains lake tour just north of Helena.
I was just in Helena for work. Dinner at Marysville house up by Great Divide ski area was cool.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Thanks, I'll check it out.
CWby '90
Scotts Tot
AG
rwhitlock3 said:

My wife and I are headed flying to Bozeman for a week in mid-October for her birthday and bringing our 2.5 year old daughter. We have flights booked but that is it. Any recommendations on places to stay, things to do, etc would be appreciated.

We definitely plan on doing some easy-to-medium level hikes.

Thanks in advance!

October can be an incredible time. You will likely have bits of chilly weather, but daytime temps can be perfect unless winter weather rolls in.

I would recommend a couple of nights in Bozeman. The Hyalite area just south of town is a great hiking area with several waterfalls, including Palisade, which is paved. Also Bozeman itself is a cool town with a great downtown to explore if you've never been there.

Check on timing of hotel closures. If park lodging is open I would recommend going that route, as it makes exploring the park so much easier. If you stay outside the park, stay in one of the gateway areas…Paradise Valley or West Yellowstone. I personally would strongly recommend somewhere in Paradise Valley, as it's a beautiful area and you have easy access to Livingston and Gardiner, which are both great towns. Check out Chico Hot Springs Resort, which is a fixture of the area, and a lot of fun.

If Pine Creek Lake isn't snowed over by that time, it is probably the most beautiful hike in the Bozeman/Livingston area (located in Paradise Valley). It is more strenuous but the glacial lake at the top is spectacular.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.