Carry on Bags - Southwest

1,702 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
Bayou City
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How many spaces for carry on bags are there on most Southwest flights? I'm B55 and trying to decide if I bring a carry on if I'll be asked to gate check it.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened."

Mark Twain
CanyonAg77
AG
I'd say C boarding is almost assured check bags. So you are close
TXTransplant
I've had a boarding position similar to that lately and have not had any issues having space for my carry on. But if you are worried, pay the $20 to upgrade to an A position.
redaszag99
It all depends on how many people are continuing through from the previous flight

If it is the first flight of the morning with no thru passengers you will be fine.

Bayou City
I don't expect any. The flight goes from IAH to MCI to start the day and then MCI to CUN. It's also a 737 8 Max. I think I'll be ok.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened."

Mark Twain
Matsui
AG
I think you will be fine.
iisanaggie
AG
We just flew back and forth to Hawaii with one stop and plane change each way. We were late B/Early C on all but 1 leg and had no problem finding carry on space.
txags92
AG
Southwest flights are not typically as insane with people bringing a bunch of carryons because they don't charge for the first two checked bags. I think you will be fine with a B boarding group.
Bayou City
Made it w no issues except the awful smelling person next to me and a developmentally challenged woman that decided to watch her iPhone on full blast sound the entire flight. Now I remember why I never fly SWA. It's like a metro bus in the sky. The flight was 11,000 miles round trip so hard to complain but ufff. Seriously considering cashing in my remaining miles for cash back on food purchases after this ordeal.

Mark Twain
TXTransplant
Your experience is not unique to Southwest. All domestic airlines have become metro buses in the sky. Air travel is more accessible than ever, so unless you fly private you gotta expect to encounter idiots when flying. And you truly do not realize how many people have awful personal hygiene until you fly.

I am surprised the flight attendants didn't tell the woman not using headphones to turn her sound off. As of late, every airline I've flown has had flight attendants make announcements about using headphones and they have enforced it.

If you politely told the FA about the disturbance, one of them probably would have told the woman to use her headphones or turn the sound off.
Bayou City
We all did and the care taker had little no interest. It was the old "we're sorry" then back to full blast in less than 5 minutes.

I've never had that experience on United.

Mark Twain
txags92
AG
Bayou City said:

We all did and the care taker had little no interest. It was the old "we're sorry" then back to full blast in less than 5 minutes.

Because United would charge you $8.99 per passenger to converse with the flight attendant unless you had Premier 1K status.
Bayou City
Flying United on the flight back and yes I'm 1k. Took the SWA flight because it was 1/3 the miles (3800 one way) I have several hundred thousand SWA miles that I had not used in years. I think it's been since Hurricane Harvey that I flew them. Maybe once during COVID. Now I remember why I never use them. If I can get 1c per mile, I'm going to cash them in and use those funds on the kids.

With that said, my last United flight was diverted mid air because of an unruly passenger that was arrested and banned from flying United forever. However, we were all comped our ticket for that flight and given a $200 travel voucher plus 10,000 miles for the issue. Overall, I'd of taken her crazy antics and the diverted flight along w the compensation to the experience on SWA. Their WiFi didn't work for the entire flight either which was super annoying.

Mark Twain
txags92
AG
I am in the same boat. We have over 200k miles on SW and we hardly ever fly them anymore because they have become completely unreliable to get us where we are going on time. They have stranded us 3 out of our last 4 trips, causing significant extra costs that they will not reimburse us for beyond a minimal voucher for more money to spend on flights with them.

What we have started doing is giving away the SW points to our nephews to let them fly places they want to go. I mostly fly United now and while their extra fees for everything annoy me, their overall service, reliability, and customer service experience is just better, which is not something I would have said pre-Covid.
Bayou City
100% agree.

Mark Twain
TXTransplant
Bayou City said:

That stinks. I'm really surprised the FAs didn't enforce the rule. My experience is they have been much more strict with passengers as of late.

With that said, I've encountered rude passengers and lazy/apathetic FAs on every airline I've ever flown.
txags92
AG
Fake but hilarious…

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.