Argentina - Recommendation aside from BA

1,013 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by wingshoot93
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm taking my elderly parents and family to Argentina for a little over a week.

Does anyone have strong recommendations for towns aside from BA?

Salta
Mendoza
Cordoba

I'm thinking the amount of walking / tour would be somewhat limited, so I was unlikely to go to Patagonia region.

TIA!
90 bull
AG
Iguazu Falls
Random Ag
AG
I agree that I would not do Patagonia with elderly, they are definitely not accessible-friendly towns.
Spore Ag
Mendoza is a great little town with developed restaurants and amazing wineries.
Bariloche is nice with cooler weather. Mostly a tourist spot for Argentinians.
This is mostly with BA but I would caution about wearing jewelry or expensive watches.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Look into Rosario and San Miguel de Tucumn
CBarrett12
AG
Mendoza for sure if y'all are into the culinary and/or wine scene. Countryside scenery is beautiful as well.
evan_aggie
AG
thanks for all of the recommendations.
MasonB
AG
I spent quite a bit of time in Argentina in my younger days. Not much tourist time. I was there for work.

So I can't give recommendations on sightseeing - though I loved everywhere I went. Catamarca, Resistencia, Avelleneda. Pretty much anywhere they grow cotton.

What I can recommend is to order the surubi - it's a species of catfish and it was incredible.

Loved the people, too.

Have a great trip!
I bleed maroon
AG
We have done a side trip each visit, to Iguazu Falls, Colonia de Sacramento Uruguay (by water taxi), and Mendoza, and are planning Patagonia for our next BA trip. Colonia is just a simple day trip, but you could extend it to include Montevideo and/or Punta del Este for a few days. I'd say that Iguazu involves a LOT of walking, as well, so it may not meet your needs. Mendoza is great, so I'd highly recommend it, especially if you like wine. We had a sommelier trainee as our private tour guide, and she was GREAT (and inexpensive, even with a well-deserved huge % tip).

One trip, we just did an in depth private car tour of all the BA neighborhoods over several days. It helped that our guide was supermodel-level beautiful, and she commanded respect everywhere, whether it was street tango in San Telmo, the barrios and soccer stadium of La Boca, or the shopping and dining in Retiro and Recoleta.
Harry Stone
AG
One of my bucket list places is San Carlos de Bariloche. Google it as it looks amazing.
Random Ag
AG
Bariloche is amazing AND not limited mobility friendly. It's very hilly with lots of cliffs, thus lots of stairs.
wingshoot93
AG
If you've done BA already … I would say Lujan de Cuyo part of Mendoza could be a good option or a small Patagonia town like San Martin de Los Andes. To me, Cordoba, Tucuman, Catamarca and others don't offer that much wow factor at the end of the day.

This is all season dependent - for elder travelers, I would recommend each from December to mid-March.

I lived a few years in San Martin de Los Andes - and the town itself is charming and easy strollable and other activities can be lined up with a simple drive. Bariloche is not a good fit because of congestion and topography.

If you have questions - if you search my profile, my contact is earlier posted. Suerte
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.