Road trip route… The Woodlands to Albuquerque

3,205 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Edit: Sorry, just realized a lot of this is rehash from earlier posts. But I'll leave it anyway

First, lock in flights and hotels in ABQ, if you haven't already. Balloon fest is a HUGE deal.

Second ABQ is relatively safe as far as violence, in the areas where tourists go. But property crime is rampant. Anything left in the car at the hotel will be taken

Also, are the kids flying home, or riding back with you?

Restaurants we enjoy Sadie's, Cocina Azul, La Salita, Church Street Cafe, and El Pinto. The last is huge, famous, and near Balloon launch, so I'm guessing a madhouse. There's a good Pappadeauxs if you tire of Mexican

Eat breakfast at one of the many locations of Weicks, and you won't need to eat lunch. Always one of our favorites

If kids are into history or love planes, National Nuclear Museum. The Zoo and Botanical gardens are good. The tram up Sandia Peak is cool, but you can see the same view by driving up the back side. My guess is that it is a madhouse during balloon fest.
CanyonAg77
AG
Hotel Settles was the happening place in Big Spring in the 1940s. Fun to see it brought back
Wicked Good Ag
tentative plan is for me to drive up and hit Palo Duro Canyon and such then get them in Alb airport. Next morning hit the ballon festival and see abq area then travel down to at least white sands carlsbad and then McDonald Observeatory on way back. Will likely hit up Fiesta Texas in SA on way back also as they love amusement parks
This is all in the just saw the school calendat stage and saw a huge 5 day weekend open during the ballon festival
Other options are welcome. Santa Fe? Ruidiso ? Alamogordo? Roswell?

They arent into hiking but will do it and the weather should be great for that so hoping that is an option.

CanyonAg77
AG
Finding flights and hotels wont be impossible, butit may be tough You might try to find flights and hotel berore planning too much

Keep in mind that your current plan to do ABQ and southern NM is pretty agressive Lots of driving across empty area

Heading to bed more later
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry, I'm helping with our twin 20 month old granddaughter, so having to sqeeze stuff in. So i may keep adding stuff

I've said before that one should do northern NM and southern NM in different trips Each has lots to see, and there is lots of driving from one to thr other, across 100s of miles of empty country

But some road warriors drive for 15 hours a day, so make your own decision

On the wa out, consider the 287route from Ft Worth to Amarillo. If you have never been to Palo Duro, consider turning off 287 at Estelline, and driva across to Quitaque, and Caprock Canyons

After rhat, take 86 through Silverton, but turn north on 207 to cross Tule Canyon by Lake Mackenzie, then the lower PD to Claude, then into AMA Maybe backtrack to Goodnight for the Goodnight home Go on to PD Canyon, and dont miss the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum at WTAMU

As far as other stops, lots to do in Santq Fe, Los Alamos, Valles Caldera Also adds 100s of driving miles Roswell, don't bother.Alamogordo, WhitevSands, of course, and a small spce museum in town Cloudcroft is a nice smaa mountain town

Ruiodoso just hd fires and flooding But they may be in better shape by then. I like Ft Stanton and Linoln for history
Wicked Good Ag
I am not a road warrior by any means but can drive late at night not problem to get from point A to B

You dont get a lot of five day weekends in a school calendar especially during a huge ballon festival

Neither of the kids have ever been to NM and I remember loving it as a child

Willing to do the drive just want to give then a good vacay filled with some history, some fun, some outdoors, some good food.
CanyonAg77
AG
Is part of your five days driving them home, or are they flying? If you don't need the time to drive, I would do ABQ first. Balloon fest, tram or drive up Sandia Peak, nuke museum, Old Town, Bio park. The Unser family has a museum if anyone is really into racing. I gave it a C, though fans would probably go more like A-

Then go to Santa Fe, tour the historic parts. Go to the museums at Los Alamos. Try to visit Valles Caldera, one of the more spectacular parts of northern NM Get croissants at Clafloutis. Meow Wolf is heavily recommended, I've never been.

Drive the high road to Taos. See the Pueblo if you've never been. Cross the high bridge over the Rio. Cross the low bridge.

If you need to drive the kids home, do the balloon fest, nuke museum, maybe bio park.

Head to White Sands, stop at The Owl Cafe in San Antonio, NM for a green chile cheeseburger. Maybe Space museum Alamogordo, then White sands, Cloudcroft, Carlsbad
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.