Travel Attire for Men

5,602 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by MouthBQ98
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let me rephrase since I left it vague. What do y'all wear when you are overseas? Not on the flight. For instance, my wife and I are going to be in Italy in early August. Its gonna be hot. Normally I'd wear some golf shorts and a dri-fit t-shirt. My wife wants me to dress up a little nicer than that for this trip.

I guess its mainly what type of shirts do y'all wear while traveling abroad. Linen button down? Golf polo?
90 bull
AG
Bluffworks pants are great. I took one pair of pants and a pair of their shorts for 11 months in a backpack.
OilManAg91
AG
No wrinkle golf quick dry pants in a darker color. They look nice enough to go to a nice restaurant, museum, etc. Keep you warm on the plane but cool enough for sight seeing. And dark colors so when you spill something they are easy to keep clean and quick dry. if you are not traveling for business and wearing a sports coat then I also recommend wearing a light pull over to stay warm on the plane and it also looks more professional which can get you the occasional upgrade or otherwise avoid long lines, etc.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Also depends where you're going and what you'll be doing on your trip.

If you're going to need hiking boots, I'd probably wear those. Put your snow boots in the checked luggage.

If you want to stand out looking like an American, wear a graphic t-shirt with some regional logo, or sports team and Nike shoes. A baseball cap tops off the look perfectly.

If you want to blend in, dress as bland and non-descript as possible with minimal branding visible. As mentioned, dark colors, long sleeve, short sleeve as appropriate.

If you're changing climates/seasons, you'll want to layer. They will have blankets available on the aircraft but it's good to bring your own light jacket onboard.

I've got a Marmot jacket that I wear the inner liner as a "puffer" jacket by itself, or wear the outer shell by itself if it's raining. If I'm going to Boston in January, I'll zip them together and wear the whole jacket. For most situations, just the inner liner by itself is good and if I don't want to wear it, I just attach it to the out side of my backpack.

Personally, I wear dark blue jeans always. Rare exceptions, I'll wear Dockers or something like that. Back to my American comment, I spent a lot of time in Australia, SE Asia, Japan, etc. Nobody wears khakis in those markets. I don't think they wear them in Europe either. If you want them to think you're French, wear something ridiculous looking like red pants.

For me personally, traveling to Australia, I felt comfortable in a graphic t-shirt. Traveling to Asia or Europe, I always wear a collared shirt. And try really hard to make that NOT a work related logo shirt. If you want to wear a golf/polo style shirt from your favorite F1 Team, Man U, Bayern, Real Madrid, that's fine but super-mega-computer corp, definitely not (I mention this because corporate logo shirts are half of my wardrobe).

As mentioned, if you walk in like you are somebody, you'll get treated like you are somebody. If you walk in looking like you just came from the gym, you're probably not going to get those little extras - whether that's a better hotel room, a free drink, help in the taxi line, etc.

On the extreme side, I've got a friend who wears the same jeans for 2 weeks and washes out his backpacking underwear in the hotel room sink every night but... that's not for me. I check luggage like a normal person.
HoustonAg926
AG
Hard to go wrong with anything Peter Millar. It is pricey but worth it
ATM9000
AG
wangus12 said:

What do y'all wear when going overseas?

I'll be the first to admit my "style" is terrible. I wear scrubs all day and workout/dri-fit stuff at home. Its basically all I own. In the past, I typically just wear golf shorts and a dri-fit shirt when we travel. Wouldn't mind upgrading some stuff before our next trip, but I don't really know what to get. I just try to avoid cotton at all costs.

I'm confused by the question? If on an overseas flight… to me all bets are off. I dress for comfort. If I'm trying to sleep the flight, it's not about style… I wear basketball shorts, tshirt and carry a pullover on and do my best to sleep.

Talking about just dressing nicer if in Europe? If in the cities, you don't have to do loads different relative to America.

Biggest thing is get nice comfortable walking shoes that aren't your running or workout shoes.

Next biggest things is shorts. They aren't completely nonexistent in Europe in the summer… but they are a lot less prevalent and in cities like Madrid, no man wears them unless it is ridiculously hot outside. Unless you are off to a coastal town, doing some hiking or things outside of cities or visiting during a heat wave, just plan to wear long pants if you want to dress like the locals. I personally don't love jeans on vacation… I like lighter travel chinos because they are more comfy when you are out and about walking (even in cooler weather) and easier to pack.

Shirts, I'd say anything with any logos that aren't brands of the clothes you are wearing is pretty rare. Don't wear soccer jerseys and stuff unless you are going to a match… not many people do that. Wear shirts and pullovers well coordinated with your trousers and shoes. I personally like t-shirt/overshirt combos. The right overshirts are fine to wear for pretty much anything but uber high end dinners and are usually more flexible for climates and temps than a jacket or pullover. Obviously that falls apart in the dead of winter.

Ball caps are much more prevalent than the internet lets on though not near as common as in the States. Don't wear them inside is the big thing. You'll see not as many wearing ball caps or hats in general outside and absolutely nobody wears them inside.
FancyKetchup14
AG
In warm weather in Europe, I pretty much only wear linen shirts or t-shirts, and shorts. If we go get a nicer dinner I'll put on a pair of chinos and a nice cotton shirt. I'm not the biggest golf polo guy.
barbacoa taco
AG
for Mediterranean countries in the warm months, button down linen shirt or henley shirt. Polos look a bit too American. Casual shorts or chinos. Loafers.

for being active during the day, dry fit shirt, compression shorts, and active wear shorts.

for the flight, sweatpants, t shirt, and light jacket.
NoahAg
MAGA hat
cargo shorts
White calf socks and slides
Alternate b/t Affliction, No Fear, and Big Johnson t-shirts
Naveronski
AG
Can y'all post brands that work well?

Are we talking Vuori/Athleta/Arc'teryx for active/casual wear, or higher brow?
Cobra39
NoahAg said:

MAGA hat
cargo shorts
White calf socks and slides
Alternate b/t Affliction, No Fear, and Big Johnson t-shirts
My long lost bro!

Except I need Bigger Johnson t-shirts.

Cobra39
malenurse
AG
Naveronski said:

Can y'all post brands that work well?

Are we talking Vuori/Athleta/Arc'teryx for active/casual wear, or higher brow?
90% of my wardrobe comes from Academy
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Neutral colors. Not bagg-y. Avoid logos. Typically pants vs shorts unless hot.

Lululemon ABC 5 pocket pants in nomad (brown) and obsidian (dark gray) are extremely lightweight, comfortable, pack extremely well (small and don't wrinkle). Neutral colored polos work as long as not b**** or prominently logo'd, button downs, nice plain vneck or henley tees. Black adidas boost type tennis shoes - comfortable, neutral, and roll with the above well. No flashy colors or bulky looking trainers
dcbowers
AG
Blue or grey collared shirt. No logo.
Dark (black, grey, or navy) pants
Dark or white (subtle or no logo) comfortable shoes

For travel pants, you may want to consider zippered (or otherwise concealed) pockets to thwart pick-pockets. Several relatively cheap, non-wrinkle, lightweight options available online.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Logos Stick
Get lightweight dri fit everything, shorts and shirts. Check out Walter Hagen or Nike golf shirts.

You will be walking your rear off and its gonna be blistering hot.

Do not wear anything pure cotton!

Dressing up is dumb with all due respect. Unless you want to have something nice for a dinner, forget that.
Logos Stick
The advice about shorts above is bunk. I went to Italy in October last year and at least half the population was wearing shorts. It was blistering hot, brutal. Rome, Venice,and Florence. Ignore the incorrect advice on shorts. I read the same nonsense and only took one pair. I washed and wore those shorts the entire trip. You will thank me.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I certainly can appreciate on hot days when you're going from spot to spot to dress comfortably, but it's a nice feeling to put on a nicer shirt and a decent pair of pants for dinner if you're traveling. Especially when you're hitting a trattoria in Rome (or elsewhere in Italy).
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, i think the basics of neutral everything including shoes, no/minimal logos, and well fitting vs bagg-y is plenty to blend in. Mix in a lightweight collared shirt if you want to dress it up some. You'll look fine, shorts or not. Italy in August crossed the "hot" line where you'll regret not wearing shorts
Danger Mouse
AG
Depends on the destination, the climate at the destination, and the overall nature of the trip.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
eiggA2002
AG
For Europe in particular dress for comfort and climate. Lightweight pants and a longsleeve/sweater for dinner, casual and comfortable during the day. Shorts are absolutely fine in the Summer. It doesn't matter, you will not blend in. They already know you are a tourist.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We planned to dress nicer when we visited Rome for the first time last year. That last 1 day. It was miserable F'ing hot, our feet hurt, and you still scream tourist. We both bought some comfy cushy gawdy AF sneakers, wife some shorts (she'd only brought 1 pair), and more socks. Spent the rest of the trip in comfort.

Because of this we each could have gotten by with 1 nice pair of loafers/sneakers and 1 pair of nice jeans for dinner. We'd still dress nicer for dinner each evening.

You're going to look like a tourist. The only people that won't look like tourists are the people that work wherever you're at, sans the occassional professional carrying a briefcase.

Edit: one exception - if you know you're going in churches, wear pants. Don't try to skirt the rules and hope your shorts are considered long enough. They specify they must reach a certain length for men. Just wear pants to guarantee you show the appropriate respect. You can get some very comfy convertible pants from Kuhl that will look sharp but can turn into shorts in 30 seconds.
Staff - take out the trash.
94chem
Merino.tech (sold on Amazon) for low-cost shirts (Smart wool also good). Short sleeve for hiking/touring, and a black or gray LS for evening out.

Smartwool (zero cushion) or Darn Tough merino socks (ultralight) - I let my shoes provide the cushion

Black Nike Pegasus 40 shoes

Gray Columbia Silver Ridge pants (the only nylon packables that actually have a waist AND and inseam)

David Archy briefs (Amazon - bamboo; run 7 marathons with no chafing)

Full zip hoodie with zipper hand pockets.

Mountain Hardware or Columbia shell; rain resistant. Athletic cut in case you have to go somewhere nice-ish.

Don't even need a carry-on.

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
HollywoodBQ
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Edit: one exception - if you know you're going in churches, wear pants. Don't try to skirt the rules and hope your shorts are considered long enough. They specify they must reach a certain length for men. Just wear pants to guarantee you show the appropriate respect.
And if you're going into churches, remove your hat.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I was 7 y/o and went to Cologne Cathedral in West Germany for the first time. The nuns gave me and my 5 y/o brother a little tune-up and I've never worn a hat in a place of worship since.
94chem
HollywoodBQ said:

Garrelli 5000 said:

Edit: one exception - if you know you're going in churches, wear pants. Don't try to skirt the rules and hope your shorts are considered long enough. They specify they must reach a certain length for men. Just wear pants to guarantee you show the appropriate respect.
And if you're going into churches, remove your hat.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I was 7 y/o and went to Cologne Cathedral in West Germany for the first time. The nuns gave me and my 5 y/o brother a little tune-up and I've never worn a hat in a place of worship since.
Should hire them for the MSC.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Was in Italy last fall... I had a sense like your wife that it was more dressy there, and it is, but not as much as I thought. Not a lot of shorts and t-shirts but other than that, sounds like you'd be fine (and my advise is just with regard to Italy... how you respond to your wife is between you and her!)
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
eiggA2002 said:

They already know you are a tourist.
They all say they can tell American's because we are nice to people. We make eye contact and smile at strangers. I don't find that terrible.

94chem
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

eiggA2002 said:

They all say they can tell American's because we are nice to people. We make eye contact and smile at strangers. I don't find that terrible.

And as a rule of thumb, if you look like a dork over there, you probably look like one here too.
94chem,
Logos Stick
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

eiggA2002 said:

Or the the fact that they are holding cell phones and taking pics and selfies of everything.
Spore Ag
I generally dress sharp on planes and feel it has paid off when there has been an issue with flights. Not afraid to dress down when needed. I really do not understand the no cotton thing. Most of the tropical world wears cotton and I feel quite comfortable in a loosely fitting cotton, preferably old batik shirts. Agree about kakis however I rarely if ever bring jeans. Too hot and take a lot of room. Have gravitated towards Kuhl Products which is about the only branding I will do.
94chem
Nice lightweight Charles Tyrwhitt cotton is good. I also have taken a liking to con.struct. Nice, cool, wrinkle-free polyester dress shirts. However Rayon (bamboo) is also a very underrated fabric for travel.
94chem,
ATM9000
AG
Logos Stick said:

The advice about shorts above is bunk. I went to Italy in October last year and at least half the population was wearing shorts. It was blistering hot, brutal. Rome, Venice,and Florence. Ignore the incorrect advice on shorts. I read the same nonsense and only took one pair. I washed and wore those shorts the entire trip. You will thank me.

Because it was blistering hot… yes. This is not inconsistent with what I said. When it isn't blistering hot, people from Europe simply wear shorts way less than Americans do still. I'll also say that yeah… touristy places you'll tend to see them more than not touristy places.
Apache
AG
Italy? Let me help you:
Shoes:

Pants:

Shirt:

Shades:

Optional Scarf:

You'll blend in. Disappear. They may never see you again.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Apache said:

Italy? Let me help you:
Shoes:

Pants:

Shirt:

Shades:

Optional Scarf:

You'll blend in. Disappear. They may never see you again.

And to complete the Italy starter pack

dreyOO
family of four going to Italy this month for the first time. I don't care if we blend at all...I just don't want to melt or have aching feet all trip.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
dreyOO said:

family of four going to Italy this month for the first time. I don't care if we blend at all...I just don't want to melt or have aching feet all trip.

My wife and I walked about 20k steps a day in Rome. But we ate cannolis and gelato and lost weight.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.