Maui Tips

1,768 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Straight Talk
Straight Talk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Maui in October, asking for your experiences there. What is on the "must do" list for you?

If you have experience with Uber/taxies I would appreciate your input.

Staying at the Sugar Beach Resort, anyone been there?
Aggiemike96
AG
Haleakala sunrise. Lahaina side, but not sure much has been repaired since the fires from last year. Road to Hana.

IMHO - Haleakala is a must.
Lavender Gooms
AG
Here's my trip report from Maui this past January.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3445729/replies/67015538#67015538

No experience with Uber as we had a car rental.
Haleakala is by far the most "must do" thing on the island. We got tickets for the sunrise, which was amazing!
Straight Talk
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Haleakala sunrise. Lahaina side, but not sure much has been repaired since the fires from last year. Road to Hana.

IMHO - Haleakala is a must.
Thanks!
Straight Talk
AG
Lavender Gooms said:

Here's my trip report from Maui this past January.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3445729/replies/67015538#67015538

No experience with Uber as we had a car rental.
Haleakala is by far the most "must do" thing on the island. We got tickets for the sunrise, which was amazing!
Thanks!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I give the same advice for every island... get a rental car, and drive the road circumnavigating the island. Get a good mile by mile guidebook for your trip. It has been full of highlights for us on Maui, Kauai, and Oahu. We have found so many hidden treasures and tucked away spots that we had to ourselves. It made me feel like I really saw and got to know those island in a way that staying in one spot never could.

Matsui
AG
Get a car and explore the island. We did the loop. And hiked around at stops.
JT05
AG
I would echo the "get a car" crowd. Went to Maui last summer and got a jeep. Wasn't really necessary to have a jeep but we enjoyed it. You'll appreciate the freedom it provides and I don't think it was crazy expensive either. I can't imagine trying to Uber all over the place. We had many days where we left the hotel in the morning and had a loose plan and just went with it. Had a great time.

If you aren't a morning person (we aren't really) I would suggest the sunset versus the sunrise on Haleakala. It was great!

Snorkeled Molokini. I'd also suggest exploring the different beaches. We had a great time doing that, I think Napoli bay was one of our favorites. We stayed at the Fairmont which was on Polo beach which we also loved.

The kids tired of the road to Hana so we made it halfway and turned around.

We took the Maui Revealed book and found it helpful kept it with us most of the time.

You guys will have a great time!
1988PA-Aggie
Lavender Gooms' link to their review is excellent.

My two cents or emphasis (wife and I were in Maui in April);

The sunrise at Haleakala is cold. Plus it is a very dark drive on winding roads. Dress with hat/gloves, layers, and bring a blanket or two for each person. You will be outside your warm car for 30-60 minutes. So worth it though.

Road to Hana was excellent. A LOT of driving time. You average about 20 mph, probably 6-7 hours in the car if you plan to do the whole road. Yes, the locals drive like maniacs. The road gets worse in terms of smoothness the farther you go. Not sure if the last 10 miles from Hana to the NP is worth it? Anyone with motion sickness chance needs to take something. Chatted with a store keeper who said tourism is down 80% (so the road should not be busy). They are annoyed at the gov't telling everyone to stay away from Lahaina but people are taking that to mean stay away from Maui. Since tourism is down so much, some food trucks are open infrequently. There are only a few on the whole road, Hana has a collection of them and some restaurants. So if you need food, don't pass open ones by thinking you'll grab something else soon. Make sure you have snacks and water with you. It is a pretty remote road.

Other food trucks around the island are good, plentiful, and worth it.

We stayed outside of Kaluhui (north central shore), Maui Coffee Roasters is a ridiculously good coffee shop.
aggiederelict
We just got back from Maui yesterday after spending 9 days there. We had a great time. We stayed in Haiku near the north shore at a friend's house which was amazing. Exploring the island with a car is a must as there is so much variety from one part to the other.

1. Haleakala- we didn't do the sunrise but did drive up there during the day which was great.
2. Honolua Bay- we snorkled there one morning and it was awesome. Saw just about everything you could see in the water. The forest leading to the bay is amazing. The beach is rocky and we did see an old man hit his head hard on the rocks so be careful. Plenty of boat options that will take you right there.
3. Baby Beach- there is a great spot in Baldwin Park that has an easy place to swim that you can bring kids to. We went a few times.
4. DT Fleming Beach- we went during the week and it wasn't busy at all and had such a nice day playing in the water. Also a good spot for snorkeling depending on the conditions.
5. Twin Falls- also on the north side with on the road to Hana but not too far in. Amazing waterfalls with great swimming options. If you go later in the day you don't have to pay for parking. We went multiple times because it was close to the house we were staying at.
6. Waihee Ridge Trail- great 5 mile hike up in the high country. Can get muddy at times depending on rain so bring good trail shoes.
7. The Road to Hana- I think this is personally overrated. The roads are crazy and it takes up a lot of time.
8. Mama's Fish House- great spot for a meal. Old classic Hawaiian feels with amazing decor in the place. Need a reservation way in advance but there are people who just show up and get a table.
9. Merriman's- gorgeous restaurant with amazing views in Lahaina. Food is good but not great. Pricey like Mama's.
10. Lahaina- it is still closed off so you have to take the bypass around the town.
McNasty
AG
https://guidealong.com/tour/maui/
Counterpoint
AG
As many have mentioned, Haleakala, and do sunset if you can't get tickets or aren't morning people. I don't know if sunrise is better (although it must be since you need tickets for it), but if it is... holy crap. Because there aren't enough words to describe how incredible the sunset was.
Also, Mama's Fish House!
McNasty
AG
Sunrise is totally worth it. Just make reservations to go on your first morning. Your body will not gave adjusted away from CDT, so waking up early will be easier.
HECUBUS
AG
In Maui now. Get your reservations to Mama's fish house and a luau today. Haven't used our rental car other than to drive from the airport to Mama's and onto where we are staying. Got a driving guide for the road to Hana. It was awesome. Without a guide, it would not be fun. Crazy traffic and parking is not obvious. Going to Molokini tomorrow, have been snorkeling the reefs at the beach. Didn't think much of Maui at first. The airport and North shore are more like West Texas than Hawaii. The road to Hana is more like Kauai and the snorkeling is better. Lots of turtles, octopuses, squid, and all the other expected reef dwellers. Had 9.5/10 snorkeling conditions yesterday and 8.5/10 today. 18 & 22 year old kids are loving it. Going back in the water now.

Little sea turtles everywhere.
Straight Talk
AG
1988PA-Aggie said:

Lavender Gooms' link to their review is excellent.

My two cents or emphasis (wife and I were in Maui in April);

The sunrise at Haleakala is cold. Plus it is a very dark drive on winding roads. Dress with hat/gloves, layers, and bring a blanket or two for each person. You will be outside your warm car for 30-60 minutes. So worth it though.

Road to Hana was excellent. A LOT of driving time. You average about 20 mph, probably 6-7 hours in the car if you plan to do the whole road. Yes, the locals drive like maniacs. The road gets worse in terms of smoothness the farther you go. Not sure if the last 10 miles from Hana to the NP is worth it? Anyone with motion sickness chance needs to take something. Chatted with a store keeper who said tourism is down 80% (so the road should not be busy). They are annoyed at the gov't telling everyone to stay away from Lahaina but people are taking that to mean stay away from Maui. Since tourism is down so much, some food trucks are open infrequently. There are only a few on the whole road, Hana has a collection of them and some restaurants. So if you need food, don't pass open ones by thinking you'll grab something else soon. Make sure you have snacks and water with you. It is a pretty remote road.

Other food trucks around the island are good, plentiful, and worth it.

We stayed outside of Kaluhui (north central shore), Maui Coffee Roasters is a ridiculously good coffee shop.
Thank you for this. Great info. Appreciate it.
Straight Talk
AG
aggiederelict said:

We just got back from Maui yesterday after spending 9 days there. We had a great time. We stayed in Haiku near the north shore at a friend's house which was amazing. Exploring the island with a car is a must as there is so much variety from one part to the other.

1. Haleakala- we didn't do the sunrise but did drive up there during the day which was great.
2. Honolua Bay- we snorkled there one morning and it was awesome. Saw just about everything you could see in the water. The forest leading to the bay is amazing. The beach is rocky and we did see an old man hit his head hard on the rocks so be careful. Plenty of boat options that will take you right there.
3. Baby Beach- there is a great spot in Baldwin Park that has an easy place to swim that you can bring kids to. We went a few times.
4. DT Fleming Beach- we went during the week and it wasn't busy at all and had such a nice day playing in the water. Also a good spot for snorkeling depending on the conditions.
5. Twin Falls- also on the north side with on the road to Hana but not too far in. Amazing waterfalls with great swimming options. If you go later in the day you don't have to pay for parking. We went multiple times because it was close to the house we were staying at.
6. Waihee Ridge Trail- great 5 mile hike up in the high country. Can get muddy at times depending on rain so bring good trail shoes.
7. The Road to Hana- I think this is personally overrated. The roads are crazy and it takes up a lot of time.
8. Mama's Fish House- great spot for a meal. Old classic Hawaiian feels with amazing decor in the place. Need a reservation way in advance but there are people who just show up and get a table.
9. Merriman's- gorgeous restaurant with amazing views in Lahaina. Food is good but not great. Pricey like Mama's.
10. Lahaina- it is still closed off so you have to take the bypass around the town.
Great info, thanks for this! Can't wait till September 25th!
myags8215
We stayed at the Grand Wailea back in February. We used Lyft to get from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to a grocery store and back, from the hotel to the Maui Ocean Center and our whale watching excursion and back. Our next to last day at the resort, we took a Lyft to the airport to pick up a rental car from Avis, which we used to explore "up country" (toward Haleakala) and the beginning of the Road to Hana. Our last night we relocated to the Marriott Courtyard by the airport to catch an early morning flight on Southwest. We had no trouble getting Lyft rides, all of the drivers were really nice and some were very entertaining. The resort also had a shuttle service available in the Wailea area, which we used to go to dinner a couple of times. This approach worked really well for us and I am confident that the Lyft rides were significantly less expensive than the combined cost of a rental car, gas, and the exorbinant parking charge at the hotel.

Some other tips:

Our favorite meal was at Matteo's Osteria in Wailea. https://www.matteosmaui.com/

We also really enjoyed Bistro Casanova in Kahului. https://bistrocasanova.com/

Our whale watching excursion with Triology was awesome. https://sailtrilogy.com/
(I think October is too early for whales, but they offer other excursions)

The Maui Ocean Center was interesting and it is right across the street from the harbor where Trilogy is based. https://mauioceancenter.com/
Straight Talk
AG
myags8215 said:

We stayed at the Grand Wailea back in February. We used Lyft to get from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to a grocery store and back, from the hotel to the Maui Ocean Center and our whale watching excursion and back. Our next to last day at the resort, we took a Lyft to the airport to pick up a rental car from Avis, which we used to explore "up country" (toward Haleakala) and the beginning of the Road to Hana. Our last night we relocated to the Marriott Courtyard by the airport to catch an early morning flight on Southwest. We had no trouble getting Lyft rides, all of the drivers were really nice and some were very entertaining. The resort also had a shuttle service available in the Wailea area, which we used to go to dinner a couple of times. This approach worked really well for us and I am confident that the Lyft rides were significantly less expensive than the combined cost of a rental car, gas, and the exorbinant parking charge at the hotel.

Some other tips:

Our favorite meal was at Matteo's Osteria in Wailea. https://www.matteosmaui.com/

We also really enjoyed Bistro Casanova in Kahului. https://bistrocasanova.com/

Our whale watching excursion with Triology was awesome. https://sailtrilogy.com/
(I think October is too early for whales, but they offer other excursions)

The Maui Ocean Center was interesting and it is right across the street from the harbor where Trilogy is based. https://mauioceancenter.com/
Thank you so much. Great ideas!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.