Durango, CO alternatives?

3,280 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 94chem
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

The pic is from above so I think it flattens everything out quite a bit. Those rocks are bigger than they look, as is the grade. It's also narrow as **** in that part along the waterfall (biggest hinderance if you're in a full size pick up). At the start of the trail coming from CB there are few big rock steps that will serve as a good test on if you should continue. I went down it after doing Black Bear pass, engineer pass, and Imogene pass a day or two before and devil's punch bowl was by far the gnarliest and only one we said we wouldn't drive down again, unless we were in side by sides or something. Definitely worth a hike at least though.

This is truth. I would have never gone down in something not a legit lifted jeep or something. And experienced driver AND spotter.

There are sections with only 1 tire placement.

We were on ATVs and I wouldn't suggest without an experienced driver that understands camber and big rocks.
Catag94
AG
Make a stop in little Cuchara, CO especially on the fourth. It's 9 hrs for DFW and little known place but beautiful. Plenty of fishing, hiking, live music (Dog Bar and Grill or Monument Lake), a surprisingly decent golf course and fun for the whole family without the major tourist draw. From there, you could head for CB(3.5 hrs), Pagosa/Southfork/Creede (2-3hrs), or Salina/Buena vista (3hrs) and stop at the Sand Dunes on the way.
If you decide to try it, send me a PM and I can offer a lot more tips and RECS.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

The pic is from above so I think it flattens everything out quite a bit. Those rocks are bigger than they look, as is the grade. It's also narrow as **** in that part along the waterfall (biggest hinderance if you're in a full size pick up). At the start of the trail coming from CB there are few big rock steps that will serve as a good test on if you should continue. I went down it after doing Black Bear pass, engineer pass, and Imogene pass a day or two before and devil's punch bowl was by far the gnarliest and only one we said we wouldn't drive down again, unless we were in side by sides or something. Definitely worth a hike at least though.

A few more. The second pic is from the top. That's maybe 150 linear yards. Looong way down.

94chem
The past 3 summers I've been to Cloudcroft, Taos, and Leadville. Red River is great, too. From Fort Worth, you're only 530 miles from Cloudcroft. I'm jealous.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.