tracking united flights redemption values

720 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Petrino1
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there an automated way/tracker to check for redemption amounts of reward flights?

Example; back in like Dec I saw flights for one leg of our trip to cancun in 10/24 for 15,200 points ea. Luckily I scooped them up since I knew it wouldn't get much lower. Since then every time I check it's avg 30k, right now it's 50k. (this is cun-den) So for whatever reason it just dipped at that time, nearly 12 months out.

I'm trying to get the other leg, it's been hovering in the mid 30ks. Is there some service/process like google flights that can track the miles redemption amount so I can get it when it momentarily drops? I don't know if it's tied to the $ amount necessarily, so not sure if google flight tracking will help.
Captain Winky
There is a site called Expert Flyer that lets you set an alert based on certain flights that will email when a saver award ticket posts. I haven't used it in a few years so I am not sure how it works with dynamic pricing.

https://www.expertflyer.com/free-program
Petrino1
Not sure if you have a card that lets you transfer miles to other airlines that are Star Alliance partners with United like an Amex or Chase Sapphire Preferred? I just checked, and Avianca Lifemiles and Air Canada have non-stop United one way CUN-DEN for 14k and 12.5k miles for a lot of dates in April.

The United miles required to book a flight are typically a lot less on other Star Alliance partner websites, and cheaper taxes/fees.
62strat
AG
Petrino1 said:

Not sure if you have a card that lets you transfer miles to other airlines that are Star Alliance partners with United like an Amex or Chase Sapphire Preferred? I just checked, and Avianca Lifemiles and Air Canada have non-stop United one way CUN-DEN for 14k and 12.5k miles for a lot of dates in April.

The United miles required to book a flight are typically a lot less on other Star Alliance partner websites, and cheaper taxes/fees.
Huh I've never looked into this... you're kinda speaking a foreign language to me.
I just hopped on air canada, I don't even see a non stop flight from den to cun, much less for cheaper than united. How are you checking this, what website?

This trip is for October though.
Petrino1
62strat said:

Petrino1 said:

Huh I've never looked into this... you're kinda speaking a foreign language to me.
I just hopped on air canada, I don't even see a non stop flight from den to cun, much less for cheaper than united. How are you checking this, what website?

This trip is for October though.
So youre able to book partner flights within the airline alliance. For example, you can book United flights via Air Canada or Avianca Lifemiles since they are all in the Star Alliance network and are partners. Same with American Airlines and British Airways and Alaska Airlines, they are one world alliance so you can book flights on all of their websites.

If you have an AMEX or Chase Sapphire, you can transfer those points to Air Canada, and then search for CUN-DEN on Air Canada Website, click "book with points Aeroplan", and itll show you United mileage reward flights on their website. Im seeing 12.5k one way CUN-DEN basically the entire week of Oct-14. You can do this same exact thing on Avianca Lifemiles, Im seeing 14k one way United CUN-DEN for many dates in Oct.

You typically have to sign up for all of these airlines rewards first and then do the search. Hope that helps explain it.
62strat
AG
Interesting. I have an amex (Marriott bonvoy) and chase united club card, wife has United explorer.
Can I do that any of these cards?
Petrino1
62strat said:

Interesting. I have an amex (Marriott bonvoy) and chase united club card, wife has United explorer.
Can I do that any of these cards?
You can transfer Marriott Bonvoy points to several airlines, but its not worth it since its a 3:1 transfer rate. Your points will be significantly devalued. The United cards you are not able to transfer miles o other airlines.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/travel-rewards/how-to-transfer-marriott-points-to-airline-partners/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.