Best Animal Experiences?

1,537 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
setsmachine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started a tradition a few years ago with our oldest that when you turn 12 you get a special trip with just mom and dad. That will be happening for kid #3 early next year, so I'm trying to make plans. She is a huge animal lover; likes animals way more than people.

Anyone had any good animal encounter experiences in the U.S.? Been looking at some of the special experiences at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (separate entity than the actual zoo) -- something like that with some sort of behind-the-scenes experience with vets or keepers etc, especially learning about animal care, would be awesome. So SD is the leader right now, but curious about other options.

Anyone have any personal experiences? Trip will be in February so will have to take weather into account as well.
Spore Ag
Observing wolve pack in the dead of winter at Yellowstone Park. The wolves there are darker in color and stand out in the snow. Whale watching in San Diego or Sea of Cortez
streetfighter2012
AG
February is prime whale season in Maui. Is this the favorite kid?

A couple other experiences worth looking at are the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Georgia Aquarium has few other spots right there like World of Coke and College Football Hall of Fame. Might not be great in February, but another spot could be the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago with the Field Museum.
murphyag
AG
There is a dolphin sanctuary in the Florida Keys that has options for dolphin experiences. The dolphins are rescue dolphins. It is in Marathon (Grassy Key). I believe it is named The Dolphin Research Center. Their website lists all of the different dolphin and sea lion encounters available. One of the experiences is Trainer for the Day and you get to help the trainers. So, I assume that would include feeding and caring for the dolphins as well.

You could stay in Islamorada, where you could also go on a snorkeling trip, head down to Key West and go to the indoor butterfly sanctuary there, etc.

ETA- If you want to stay closer to home, you might try calling Fossil Rim Wildlife Park in Glen Rose. If I'm remembering correctly, they offer some specialty tours.
fka ftc
setsmachine said:

Started a tradition a few years ago with our oldest that when you turn 12 you get a special trip with just mom and dad. That will be happening for kid #3 early next year, so I'm trying to make plans. She is a huge animal lover; likes animals way more than people.

Anyone had any good animal encounter experiences in the U.S.? Been looking at some of the special experiences at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (separate entity than the actual zoo) -- something like that with some sort of behind-the-scenes experience with vets or keepers etc, especially learning about animal care, would be awesome. So SD is the leader right now, but curious about other options.

Anyone have any personal experiences? Trip will be in February so will have to take weather into account as well.
I think it would be hard to beat the SD Zoo for an animal encounter. We did one of the VIP zoo tours 5 or so years ago and it was excellent.

We did not go to the Safari Park, but it is also supposed to be excellent. I really cannot imagine another place outside of maybe Disney that does VIP better.

That being said, been looking into wolves for this next winter. Lots of options in the Yellowstone area for those and more popping up.
TXTransplant
We did a "Breakfast with Pandas" tour at the San Diego Zoo a few years ago. They don't have pandas anymore, but it was a fantastic experience. Definitely worth the extra money (and it wasn't crazy expensive).
Lavender Gooms
AG
We just got back from a week in south Florida and the Keys and the amount of wildlife there is fantastic. Went to Everglades, Biscayne Bay, and Dry Tortugas National Parks. Everglades and Big Cypress National Preserve (just north of Everglades) are packed with wildlife. Went to a turtle hospital in one of the Keys (can't remember which one), fed the tarpon at Robbie's in the keys, saw so many different animals. Crocodile and alligators (only place in the world you can see both essentially together), manatees, sea turtles, dolphin, birds galore (Anhinga, osprey, heron, etc), turtles, and more than I can name I'm sure. February weather would likely be ideal. We were there 1st week in March, a bit on the warm side with the humidity, but not bad.

Everglades has tons of ranger programs, and lots are centered on wildlife.
setsmachine
AG
Thanks y'all, this is very helpful. Great to know that the VIP tour at San Diego Zoo was a good experience and worth the money, the Safari Park also offers a similar experience.

Florida Keys also sounds like an awesome option! Fyi we are in Atlanta so that would be easier travel, but really anywhere in continental US is good (unfortunately no Hawaii)

She is pretty crazy about wolves, sleeps with a giant stuffed one every night in bed. Is Yellowstone accessible in February?
Spore Ag
I did Yellowstone in mid January but suspect February to watch the wolves is doable. You need to dress for it with good footwear for standing in the snow or frozen ground. I think traveling Aggies has a tour which will have good transport to get you to the sites where the wolves will be observed. Actually saw a pack surround and attack a Bison. Fascinating with the Bison escaping.
billyjack2009
Another vote for the San Diego zoo. We did the cats behind the scenes tour for our daughter and she loved it. You get there early and get to see the keepers feed them, etc. Not crazy expensive and you get it done before the zoo gets crowded.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Another vote for Yellowstone. There's such a wide array of wild animals you can see. Wolves, bears, bison, elk, moose, coyotes, foxes, birds, rodents. You can look for them on your own or get a guide/tour. I went as a kid and have very fond memories, but also went recently with my wife and we had a great time.

Plus there's tons of landmarks and sights you can see too. If you can do the Tetons or Glacier NP too, it's well worth it.

But for February that may not be ideal for a 12 year old so SD zoo might be better
boozer93
Thought this would be about your goat.
double
AG
We love to stay in La Jolla, which is about halfway between the San Diego Zoo and the Wildlife Park. Both of them are wonderful and have great "animal encounters". And in La Jolla you can go and see the seals at the cove. It's just a great beach town in general. Some of our favorite trips have been in this area. There are a million things to do!
HollywoodBQ
AG
+1 for SD Zoo

If you ever get a chance, I recommend - Amboseli in Kenya, or take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez, Alaska.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.