Is airfare generally insane right now?

10,172 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JMac03
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm booking a trip to SEA in June and DAMN! airfare across pretty much every carrier is nuts. Some carriers aren't even below $1,000 for economy. Hell, Frontier wants $860.
JMac03
AG
Yes. It is killing most of my clients budgets. Some just can't afford to go or are having to step down in resort quality. More are turning to cruising (although that's high too right now).
Ryan the Temp
AG
I guess my saving grace will be that my accommodations will be a tent on the side of a mountain.
TXTransplant
Yes. I'm trying to book round trip to Sicily. $4k right now if I book through United. They are totally gouging on the code share flights. I will prob have to book a RT to Frankfurt or Munich and book the fights to Italy separate. Even then, I'm expecting tickets to be over $2k. RT to Frankfurt, Munich, and Amsterdam are all sitting at about $1700 right now. I have fare watches set up on my cc.

Also priced a trip to Bangor, ME for July. Sat to Sat with July 4th in between is $900. Later in the month is $500+. That same ticket last year was $400-ish.

Hotels are crazy expensive, too. We are going to Sedona for Spring Break but need to stay the last night in PHX to catch an early flight. I had a heck of a time finding anything that wasn't a roach motel for under $200. I saw Hampton Inn and Holiday In. Express for $300+ per night.
I Am A Critic
It's almost as if this is the first full summer since 2019 without any significant Covid restrictions and there is significantly higher demand for travel compared to the last three years.
Username checks out.
TXTransplant
I don't think it's just a demand issue. My experience has been that there aren't as many flights. I think the airlines are keeping seats limited, both with fewer flights and smaller planes.
JMac03
AG
Message or email me if you want. I can many times save $$$ on Europe fight. Email in profile. No worries if not
TXTransplant
JMac03 said:

Message or email me if you want. I can many times save $$$ on Europe fight. Email in profile. No worries if not

I will do that later this am!
TriAg2010
AG
Seattle - Houston always has ridiculous airfares. The most expensive domestic ticket I've ever bought was IAH-SEA for about $1,100 last summer even with several weeks advanced purchase.
AgCPA95
AG
Airfares are up 25.6% YOY in the latest inflation report.
JMac03
AG
Also, try looking at two one-way tickets. My clients were recently able to get cheaper flights doing it this way. I know that is not the norm.
EMY92
AG
I finally used my flight credit from my canceled trip in Spring of 2020. The cost was the same for the flight to Dublin as it was then. I did book this in November, so that may have something to do with not getting hit by the increases.
TXTransplant
Prices were up last fall, but not as bad as they are now. It's been getting progressively worse since fall 2021. I've purchased several routes multiple times since then, and seems like every time I book it's up 20-25%.

And a lot of it depends on where you're flying from, where you want to go, and whether or not there is a layover. I've gotten a couple of good/decent fares as well, but it's been for specific circumstances.

For example, Southwest is still trying to build their routes from IAH, so I've gotten some really cheap fares booking from that airport instead of HOU. But then options are pretty limited.
Irish 2.0

Southwest just opened their bookings into October and has a Spring sale
TXTransplant
I find it interesting that this is the second time in a row (the other being when they opened bookings through early August) that I have NOT gotten an email. Usually they let RR customers know that the schedule is open or will be opening soon.

Also, their sales have been poop lately. I can maybe get a flight to somewhere else in the state of TX for $59, but nowhere else. And as one would expect, the sales typically excludes flights on Fri-Mon. Your best chance to get a decent fare is to book Wanna Get Away as soon as their calendar opens. They only sell so many of those, and they have been booking up fast.
Irish 2.0
Check your email notifications settings. You may be missing the toggle on one of their marketing hightlights.
TXTransplant
I've got two RR accounts linked to my email. Settings on both are set to receive promotional emails. I just figured they stopped notifying people when calendars opened.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Southwest just opened their bookings into October and has a Spring sale
Travel has to be March 7, 2023 through May 17, 2023.

I checked my RR account and had enough points to knock $400 off the price of my flight.
Irish 2.0
Ah...Damn fine print
Ryan the Temp
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Ah...Damn fine print
Those dates work for me to visit my mom during Spring Break. I haven't seen her in almost two years.
62strat
AG
Not sure your window of 'now', but we bought flights DEN-CUN late last year for a trip a few weeks ago, 4 people round trip, non stop for under $800 total
62strat
AG
TXTransplant said:

I find it interesting that this is the second time in a row (the other being when they opened bookings through early August) that I have NOT gotten an email. Usually they let RR customers know that the schedule is open or will be opening soon.
They publish these dates on their website fyi.

https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html
TXTransplant
Yes, I know. I didn't need to buy my usual June ticket, so I didn't check the website. But they used to send out emails giving a heads-up. I think the low fares are selling so quickly now that they don't need to do that extra step.
barbacoa taco
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I'm booking a trip to SEA in June and DAMN! airfare across pretty much every carrier is nuts. Some carriers aren't even below $1,000 for economy. Hell, Frontier wants $860.
I feel like flying to Seattle in the summer is always insane. I went last summer and it was almost like flying to Europe price-wise. And I booked well in advance.
Yesterday
AG
Was going to do a family trip to Cancun this summer. Driving to 30A instead due to flights. Wages are up, fuel is up, more people wanting to travel.

In Cancun now but did a Monday-Wednesday flight just for better fares.
Ag CPA
AG
Same boat, going to Cancun on Friday using AA COVID-era credits that were about to expire and it may be our last trip there for awhile. Not paying $800 for a two-hour flight in coach that was maybe $400 during the holidays before COVID. SJD and PVR are just as bad from DFW.
62strat
AG
Ag CPA said:

Same boat, going to Cancun on Friday using AA COVID-era credits that were about to expire and it may be our last trip there for awhile. Not paying $800 for a two-hour flight in coach that was maybe $400 during the holidays before COVID. SJD and PVR are just as bad from DFW.
geez is it really that much?

I just posted above, we flew to Cancun from Denver a few weeks ago. Round trip nonstop was under $200 ea. I used points though, it was like 20k ea round trip.
RC_57
AG
JMac03 said:

I'm in the same boat ("plane"?) as TXTransplant.

We're taking the family to Italy (Sorrento) in Sept and the prices are up there (no pun)

I'll drop you an email too if you don't mind
JustPanda
AG
Same here. DIA to Cancun for 21,000 miles.
JMac03
AG
Happy to check tomorrow.
Ag CPA
AG
Yah, we don't have the competition that Denver has, I think that four airlines fly direct from there. Miles are still around 60-70k round-trip on average plus the crazy fees and taxes that Mexico adds on.
TX04Aggie
AG
Mexico is insane right now from IAH and even Hobby. United is makin a killin off those 1.5-2 hr flights.
62strat
AG
Ag CPA said:

Yah, we don't have the competition that Denver has, I think that four airlines fly direct from there. Miles are still around 60-70k round-trip on average plus the crazy fees and taxes that Mexico adds on.
yeh the international flight fees are $100 per person round trip to Mexico. 'Free flights' were actually $400.

United, SW and frontier def do nonstop, not sure what else.
Ryan the Temp
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ryan the Temp said:

I feel like flying to Seattle in the summer is always insane. I went last summer and it was almost like flying to Europe price-wise. And I booked well in advance.
I've always had flights in the $400-ish range when I've gone over the summer. I guess paying a lot for a flight is less to feel bad about than paying $80/day for a rental that's going to sit at a trailhead for three days.
TXCityAggie
AG
United is out of control at this point. I've given up on trying to maintain loyalty and keep my status with them. It's just not worth it. They are charging nearly $1,300 for a flight from Bogota to Houston. I was paying half that last fall. For reference, I bought a round trip ticket on Singapore Airlines in Premium Economy from Houston to Bangkok for the same price that United is charging for a roundtrip flight from Bogota to Houston (5 hours). Ridiculous.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.