Is airfare generally insane right now?

10,163 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JMac03
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What dates? I'll check on my end. But yes it's pricey.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Oh thank you! Dates are very flexible, in-laws will watch the kids so just a 5-day spread when school is out (Memorial Day thru first week of August)
JMac03
AG
Not looking so great. I can get it cheaper on WestJet, but they would have a super long layover in Calgary and Canadian travel agents hate them so its prob best to steer clear. Around $3k (should be same as direct pricing)

Jet Blue on 8/1 - 8/6 - $3500 (should be able to get that price direct)

Flight prices just stink all the way around right now.

*If I bundle flight and hotel, I can get flights and hotel starting under $4k, but for something closer to the city center it would be more. But essentially the hotel is free in this case.
jorgerr96
Way too late but planning to go Austin-Barcelona May 28 - June 5. I figure it's too late to hope for a price dip? About $1500 right now
TXTransplant
That sounds like a steal to me! I didn't see any routes from IAH to Europe for less than $1500 (I priced all sorts of itineraries trying to get to Sicily). Wound up paying over $2k by the time I paid seat fees on Lufthansa. And I had to spend almost $150 ($300 for two tickets) on top of that to get from Catania to Milan to get home.
CREAg87
AG
I'm planning a trip to Germany right now (looking at early September) and the cheapest airfare I can find is around $1,100 unless you take a crappy layover.

Not sure why, but once you get to the end of September/early October, airfare drops by anywhere from $250-$500 depending on the airline. Makes me wish my MBA didn't start October 2nd.
Ragoo
AG
Flights to midland from IAH have doubled in the last week.
CoolaidWade
AG
Just got back from Aruba and a couple from Boston said they paid over 2k for a round trip.

So stupid. No way it stays like this.

In retrospect I have flown to Europe several times on close to empty planes during Covid so this is obviously some sort of short term correction.
metrag06
AG
Oktoberfest is 9/16-10/3. Prices probably dropping as you get to the end of that event.
country
AG
I'm not sure prices will drop. Seems there are plenty of people buying at current prices. What incentive is there to lower unless planes are empty?
Hincemm
AG
Going dfw to Kauai around new years and flights start at $1,500 pp. any expectation that this could go down?
Lavender Gooms
AG
I would think yes. We went to Kauai in early February 2022. Bought tickets in October 2021. Southwest and they were $300 each. We had looked again late last year and tickets were still in the $300-$400 range. Flights weren't from Dallas, but our airport is typically similar or higher priced than Dallas. Didn't go, but not because of the price. Southwest still hasn't opened up their schedules for next year. Not sure about other airlines.
The Lost
Lavender Gooms said:

I would think yes. We went to Kauai in early February 2022. Bought tickets in October 2021. Southwest and they were $300 each. We had looked again late last year and tickets were still in the $300-$400 range. Flights weren't from Dallas, but our airport is typically similar or higher priced than Dallas. Didn't go, but not because of the price. Southwest still hasn't opened up their schedules for next year. Not sure about other airlines.

You also went in peak off season, not when schools out/around a holiday
jorgerr96

Trying to go to LAX july 8 come back the day after but thats a $400 RT via Delta . I booked 2 roundtrips for the second week of August and last weekend for less than that.
Lavender Gooms
AG
Reading comprehension fail. I don't know why, but I was just thinking January vs actual New Years. January tickets hadn't seemed so bad when I've looked. New years is definitely a whole different story.
murphyag
AG
Hincemm said:

Going dfw to Kauai around new years and flights start at $1,500 pp. any expectation that this could go down?

It has always been expensive to fly to any island in Hawaii during that time period. Mid December thru January 3 is probably one of the most (if not most) expensive times to travel to Hawaii.
JMac03
AG
It's the most expensive time to travel anywhere, period.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.