Anyone been to Paris for Christmas?

2,251 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by davido
Crocker91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our new house isn't going to be ready on time, so we've decided this is the best year ever for a vacation at Christmas. I think we've settled on Paris. Anyone here been at that time of year? Any thoughts? All of my trips there have been in the summer. Thanks in advance.
OilManAg91
AG
Yes about 5 years ago. I love Paris but it is not a great place for Christmas as it is very subdued. There are much better cities in Europe that go all out for Christmas. Paris is a great city, but way way down the list for Christmas. Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, London in that order for great Christmas markets, totally decked out town squares, outdoor ice skating rinks, holiday decorations, etc. Many towns in the UK are also good, as I'm sure others will also have good recommendations. But Paris would be last on my list if you are looking for a European Christmas environment.
Crocker91
AG
Thanks very much for the info. London was high on the list, but everything is closed on both the 25th and the 26th (Boxing Day). We're planning on being there from the 21st/22nd through the 28th, and I don't want to be stuck without things to do during that time. We will definitely take your recommendations and look east.
OilManAg91
AG
If you are up to it definitely do Prague. It is truly amazing at Christmas…like a fairy tale. And then you are a short train ride from Vienna / Salzburg / Munich which are each great in their own way and are also great places for Christmas.
OilManAg91
AG
And if you go to Salzburg then you are a very short day trip to beautiful winter snowy mountain towns of Zell Am See and Hallstatt.
Wicked Good Ag
I also heard Croatia is a great place for Christmas as well
SwissAgg
AG
Paris has a Covid 19 restriction whereby you can only go in restaurant if your vaccinated. I am not sure if they accept the American vaccination certificates.

Also, I agree with others that Paris is not a Christmas city.
wessimo
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I also heard Croatia is a great place for Christmas as well

The Zagreb Christmas market is amazing (assuming they are doing it this year).
ATM9000
AG
SwissAgg said:

I am not sure if they accept the American vaccination certificates.

They are.
agmom95
AG
My wedding anniversary is on December 18 and we have done Europe twice during that time. Here is another vote for Salzburg/Southern Germany during that time frame. Although a little touristy,Rothenburg ob der Tauber, in Germany was really cool at Christmas.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

Although a little touristy,Rothenburg ob der Tauber, in Germany was really cool at Christmas.
Very nice little town. Terrific Christmas market.
Txsodpro
Any hotel recs in Prague?
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Prague hotel
davido
AG
Sydney.

Weather is awesome (summer). City is decorated. Solid, maybe not as over the top as some options. Zoo is open, as is McDs, on Christmas. Boxing Day kicks off the Sydney to Hobart race. Cool watch from the cliffs above Watsons Bay.
Here4Beer
AG
My wife and I did Brussels and Ghent, Belgium for Christmas/New Year. It was phenomenal. Agree with everyone saying Prague as well.
OilManAg91
AG
For Prague hotel this place is fantastic...unique character in each room, great location a few blocks from the square and reasonably priced
https://www.hoteljewelprague.com/
EMY92
AG
davido said:

Sydney.

Weather is awesome (summer). City is decorated. Solid, maybe not as over the top as some options. Zoo is open, as is McDs, on Christmas. Boxing Day kicks off the Sydney to Hobart race. Cool watch from the cliffs above Watsons Bay.
Australia is so locked down that now residents must download an app and use it to take selfies within 15 minutes of getting the notification to prove that they are at home.

I don't think it will be a good tourist location for a while.
Petrino1
EMY92 said:

davido said:

Sydney.

Australia is so locked down that now residents must download an app and use it to take selfies within 15 minutes of getting the notification to prove that they are at home.

Lol yeaaaa, was going to say I dont think Australia is a good recommendation at the moment.
Crocker91
AG

Quote:

Quote:

davido said:
Sydney.

EMY92 said:

Lol yeaaaa, was going to say I dont think Australia is a good recommendation at the moment.
Australia is now off my to see list--maybe forever. They've lost their minds. We were planning on doing a full country tour sometime in the future. At least a month all over the continent. Can't see that happening now. Maybe if the Chinese take them it would be better.
TXAggie2011
AG
Crocker91 said:

Quote:

Quote:

davido said:
Sydney.

EMY92 said:

Australia is now off my to see list--maybe forever. They've lost their minds. We were planning on doing a full country tour sometime in the future. At least a month all over the continent. Can't see that happening now. Maybe if the Chinese take them it would be better.
That seems like an overreaction to something that doesn't really affect you other than not being able to go right now, but hey, your choice. And the last sentence is very confusing.
Furlock Bones
AG
Prague is a disaster zone at Christmas. There's just too many people crammed in to enjoy it.

Vienna is amazing. I've heard Bratislava is still great.
OilManAg91
AG
Totally disagree. Vienna is nice at Christmas but boring compared to Prague. I never thought Prague was overcrowded, and certainly won't be this year given Covid.
Furlock Bones
AG
OilManAg91 said:

Totally disagree. Vienna is nice at Christmas but boring compared to Prague. I never thought Prague was overcrowded, and certainly won't be this year given Covid.

I'll just compare to the first time I went to Prague in 2005. It was crowded but fun. My wife and I went in 2018. Christmas market crowds were like being in a crush. Shoulder to shoulder everywhere. They were shutting down streets and stopping more people from entering the squares because it was too packed.
JM04
AG
What is everyone's thoughts on Rome? Thinking about a family trip the week leading up to Christmas.
OilManAg91
AG
I have been to Rome multiple times and it is an all time great city regardless of the time of year. I can't speak to how Christmassy it is, but if you have never been then you can't go wrong.
Sully Dog
I love Venice at Christmas too. Not a ton of tourists, plenty of great deals, and none of the those hot muggy temps you get is summer.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
JM04
AG
Perfect! That is what I was hoping to hear. Going because we hope it isn't too crowded.
davido
AG
Crocker91 said:

Quote:

Quote:

davido said:
Sydney.

EMY92 said:

Yeah, forgot about lockdowns, sorry. I really just don't think about it much on a day to day.

We went for a month, kids and all. Brisbane, Sydney, Cambra, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Perth. Great trip. Flew to Perth and still put over 5,500 km in our rental. Many great memories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.