Costa Rica, Puerto Vallarta, or Los Cabos

2,161 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Agilaw
country
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which would you go to? All three are options for family trip next month. Family is active and is open to doing pretty much anything. Cost is not an issue and we aren't really concerned with all inclusive.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
Of the 3, I have only been to Costa Rica (once). I love that little country and hope to visit again soon.
I co-led a travel study for college students so it was a unique situation. We (3 faculty, 10 students) flew in and out of San Jose. We rented 3 Land Cruiser Prados and drove all over the country. I don't have my travel journal handy so I am pulling names from memory. Fortuna/Arenal region was gorgeous. Cahuita area and just south of there was nice (I had the best fish tacos in my life there!). Volcan Irazu was neat. Uvita was pretty. Monteverde cloud forest was beautiful.
People were friendly. Food was amazing. I miss the traditional rice and bean breakfast.
Have fun wherever you go!
tamc93
AG
If your family is active, I would suggest Costa Rica.

When we went (several years ago) we stayed at Westin Playa Concha.

Easy drive from the airport, ok beaches, and close to other excursions (zip lining, fishing, rain forests, etc).

Have no idea what COVID did and that may unfortunately limit your activity.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
JMac03
AG
Costa Rica hands down!
blackgoldag11
AG
Costa Rica, duh
jejdag
Yep, CR is the one. I can echo the vote for Arenal area (try the eco termales hot springs in the evening at dusk) and Monte Verde area too. We did the zip line in the cloud forest at Monte Verde and really loved it. If you get a chance, check out the Rio Celeste (do and image search) in north central part of the country. We went to the lesser acclaimed east coast and stayed near Coahita (?) and really liked it.
It is a really clean and friendly place.
Please come back here and give us your thoughts!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I will go against the trend here. I hate being hot on vacation. Go to cabo and stay north of the arch on the pacific. Not on the cortez. Stay at the hard rock.
cohibasymas
AG
Unless you want to sit in a all inclusive resort like an American and have nothing to do with the locals/actual location (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that), Costa Rica and it's not even close.
country
AG
Thanks for all the feedback. Probably leaning Costa Rica at the moment. Also looking at Zihuatanejo for a possible mixture of the two.
bigfooticus
Costa Rica

Browse Viator and Expediciones Tropicales (takes you to Costa Rica guides) for various day trips, I have used both.
Did the Tortuga island trip a few years ago.
Headed back in July to do the Pacuare River rafting trip and also the Poas volcano / Doka coffee/ La Paz waterfall combo

https://www.costaricaguides.com/one-day-tours/
91poohah
AG
Costa Rica- Arenas Del Mar near Quepos.
Leander - Ag
AG
CR
murphyag
AG
country said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Probably leaning Costa Rica at the moment. Also looking at Zihuatanejo for a possible mixture of the two.

Zih is one of my favorite places in Mexico. I would for sure go there over PV. Another place I really like is Huatulco.
Ag CPA
AG
You are going to sweat your arse off in CR in July and it's the rainy season.
JobSecurity
AG
What pacific beach towns do y'all recommend in CR? Booked a week at the end of September. Can't decide if I want to hop down the coast a day or two at a time or just pick one place.
AGBU94
AG
JobSecurity said:

What pacific beach towns do y'all recommend in CR? Booked a week at the end of September. Can't decide if I want to hop down the coast a day or two at a time or just pick one place.
Avoid Jaco. It is a tourist destination and there are much better choices. Last trip for me, I stayed in Matapalo. It is a small town about halfway between Quepos and Dominical. It is easy enough to take a day trip to Uvita, Dominical or Quepos (Manuel Antonio) from there, but still gives you a secluded beach.

In a few days, I will be in Tamarindo and surrounding area. I am not sure f I am heading north or south from there, but I will have to make that decision tomorrow.

Have a great time. PURA VIDA!
....Rememberin' the fallin' down and the laughter and the curse of luck from all those sonsabitches that said we'd never get back up!! (REK)
blackgoldag11
AG
Tamarindo was a fun little surf village, try taking some lessons, I had a blast doing it.
ETXAg05
AG
Been thinking about Costa Rica for a couple of years. Almost went January 2019 but another couple that was going to go with us had to pull out right as we were about to book it. Decided to postpone. Was possibly thinking about going this August but felt like January and February were better parts of the year to go. Would you wait to go a different time of year oe go ahead and pull the trigger for this August?
Agilaw
AG
Hands down, Costa Rica. Cabo was one of the hottest vacations I've ever taken. It also seemed pretty sketchy in the evenings. A military/police cruiser with armed men with faces fully covered regularly drove around the town. We talked to one of the locals at a restaurant and they said those are for you (tourists) to feel safe. The beaches aren't really for swimming. You can surf a little near Los Cabos.

I have been to Costa Rica multiple time in June and July. It gets hot but it rains almost every afternoon and evening to cool it down. The country is beautiful. There are many great surf locations and you don't have to worry about sharks - you do have to keep an eye out for a stray croc. The people/Ticos are some of the most friendly people I've ever met. Might someday live there part time.

Haven't been to Puerta Vallarta, but have been to Acapulco. Wouldn't go there again. Happy travels.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.