Memphis this weekend - suggestions?

803 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scd88
HelotesAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Arriving Saturday around 11 and staying at the Peabody. Planning to do Beale St for music and food in that area. Going to Graceland on Monday. Wife wants to hit Sun Studio too. Don't have a car but are there are there any "must do" spots in that area. Have a few places from old TexAgs travel thread but was looking for current info. On our list is (in no particular order)
Marlowe's
Ghost River Brewery
Central BBQ
Gus's famous chicken
Old Dominik Distillery
Silky O'Sullivans
Tamp & Tap
The beauty shop
There Bar-B-Q shop
Garibaldi's pizza

Thoughts on these? Other places we should see?

Thanks!
Wicked Good Ag
Lorraine Motel and Civil Rights museum

Beale Street is fun...plenty of bars to hop in and out of...we saw Foo Fighters at the Arena basically at the end of Beale Street area

Food

Flight for dinner is a great place.....not the best food ever but pretty damn good and the concept is outstanding

Germantown Commissary is excellent

Brother Juniper for brunch or breakfast loved their cinnamon pancakes

TXAG 05
AG
If y'all are even half way interested in music, definitely go to Sun Studio. Super cool to hear the songs in the room where they were created. Keep in mind you have to get tickets for a certain time, I think the tours start every hour or so.

Silkys is my favorite bar on Beale
HelotesAg
AG
Thanks - yes, we plan to try to get into Sun records.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
Central BBQ is my favorite. Stick with their ribs (get some dry and some wet), pork, and turkey. Don't get the brisket. It is just okay and will leave you disappointed (assuming you are used to good Texas brisket). Go to their location by the Civil Rights Museum. One block down is a cookie shop: Butteriffic Bakery. It smells like butter as soon as you go in. Go there. Get butter cookies. Enjoy your butter cookie coma.

The Pyramid and Bass Pro Shop is fun. It is also worth the elevator ride to the top.

Have fun!
Mathguy64
AG
If you do The Rendezvous for ribs (and I'm not saying you shouldn't, it's an institition) be forwarned it's not any kind of dry rub rib you have ever had.
scd88
AG
Sun Studio was my favorite spot in Memphis. The Lorraine Motel is also a worthwhile experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.