Can't miss things in Grand Tetons/Yellowstone

5,212 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scotts Tot
aggieman00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to book a 7 day trip to the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone area in September

1) What are the things we can't miss, and have to see?
2) We enjoy hiking - any recommendations for best hikes?
3) Best place to stay? It looks like just about everything inside of Yellowstone is already booked up. Surrounding areas look like they have space for now

Thanks!
Scotts Tot
AG
I have not spent as much time in the Tetons as I have Yellowstone, but taking the Jenny Lake Ferry over to the trailhead and hiking up from there is always a favorite.

In Yellowstone, if it's your first time I assume you will do the geothermal stuff, which everyone should at least see once. There is more of that in the southern portion of the park, but I prefer the north because it's less crowded and more scenic. Also go over to Canyon and see the canyon and falls.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the most scenic areas around Yellowstone are actually not within the park itself, namely the Tetons to the south and the Absaroka/Beartooth mountains to the north.

If I was planning a trip to the area and wanted to see as much as I can in a week, I would look at flying into Jackson, spending a few nights there to explore the Tetons, then drive up through Yellowstone, seeing the geyser basins along the way, and stay somewhere in Paradise Valley for the rest of your trip, and fly home from Bozeman. Paradise Valley is a good place to access the park, and is also a good starting point for doing the Beartooth Pass drive (have to check if it's still open when you're going). A couple of places to look at staying are Sage Lodge or Chico Hot Springs (especially if you have kids with you).

Edit: sorry for the emoticon...oops
chick79
AG
We did this trip back in September. I would reserve no more than two days in the Grand Teton. Yellowstone is much bigger, diverse and more things to see. We stayed on the Idaho side in an Airbnb.
AggieZUUL
AG
For an amazing photo op, venture off road to the The T. A. Moulton Barn.
Mathguy64
AG
The best 15 minute hike on a trail in Yellowstone is up the Angel Falls trail to the Grand Prismatic overview. You cannot really grasp the size and beauty from the walkway at eye level.

And OF at dusk with the alpenglow and no one around and a bourbon in your hand is really tranquil

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Dope.
htxag09
AG
I didn't really get to hike Yellowstone, we just hit it on a one day tour from Jackson. But think that'd be a blast.

Second the Jenny Lake recommendation. You can take the ferry (or hike) across the lake. From there they have several trails ranging from like a mile roundtrip to over 10. When we went my entire family (including my mom with breast cancer, dad with a bad knee, and two nieces under 5) did the smaller inspiration point and hidden falls trails. Then they took the ferry back and my brother, my wife, and I did the cascade canyon trail.
BrazosBendHorn
If you feel up to an all-day hike, I highly recommend doing Sepulcher Mountain. The trail up & down is a loop (one side is easy, and one side is rugged), 11.2 miles round trip, elevation gain of 3,517 feet. Be prepared for the possibility of rain and hail.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wyoming/sepulcher-mountain-trail

We took the easy way up

And the rugged way down

If you go to Mammoth Hot Springs, the best time to go is right after daybreak on a cloud-free morning. MHS is beautiful and dramatic in the early morning hours.

Same comment applies to the Norris Geyser Basin.

StEdsCOOG
I hiked Delta Lake in September. So rewarding once you get to the end.
Pro Sandy
AG
Jenny Lake in Grand Teton is good. Hike around it, then take the boat back. That way you have the easy part last.

Yellowstone. Chuckwagon dinner at Roosevelt was my wife's favorite. Ride in a wagon, eat steaks, hear bad jokes, sing songs, see buffalo. The good life.

For both though, the cant miss is the wildlife. Sure, you will see stuff driving around whenever you hit the traffic jam, but get up early and go for a drive. Grand Teton, Mormon Row seems always good. Yellowstone, the Lamar is my favorite, but little harder to get to than the Hayden.

My favorite? At Old Faithful Lodge, there is a bar on the 2nd floor. Grab a drink, go out on the balcony, sit back and toast old faithful while you watch her erupt for the 4 time in a row.

Mathguy64
AG
I've done that exact picture. Except mine was a barrel aged Old Fashioned that I toted with me all the way for that precise spot on the rail.
BrazosBendHorn
One other thing: Wilcoxson's Moose Tracks ice cream. (An excellent regional brand.)
HalifaxAg
CanyonAg77
AG
Our trip was 8 years ago, but some photos that might give you some ideas

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2314784
Dorm 15
AG
I am a seasonal worker in Yellowstone. Plan your lodging now. Be prepared for cool weather. It snowed every month last year.
aggieman00
I've made note of all of these suggestions, thank you!

I've got planned:
4 days in Yellowstone
2 days in the Tetons
1 day for Jackson + anything else

We're staying 1 night at the Old Faithful Inn
3 nights at the Lake Lodge Cabins in Yellowstone
2 nights in Jenny Lake Lodge in Grand Teton Park
1 night in a Jackson Air B&B
Pro Sandy
AG
Dining Room in Old Faithful Inn is good. Rooms aren't much to look at though. We tried for a room with a view, got the parking lot. I was not impressed with the lodging.

Didn't stay at Lake, but Canyon lodges were great.
Mathguy64
AG
If you stay at OFI stay in the rooms in the original Inn. Yes it's a dorm style shower and restroom but it's history. Dining there and at the Lake Hotel are both very good and reservations are strongly recommended.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I did this trip last fall. We only spent one day in Tetons but since you're getting a lot more suggestions for Yellowstone, I thought I'd tell you what we did that was definitely great.

Take the ferry across Jenny Lake. Get the 1 way ferry, make sure you leave no later than noon so you have ample time, its just about $12-15 per person. On the other side of the lake, there are some nice falls to hike to, and a hike up to "Inspiration Point" for some great photos overlooking the lake, as well as spectacular views right at the base of Grand Teton.

Then hike back rather than ferry back across the lake. It's about 2 miles, easy terrain mostly right on the rim on the lake. There are a couple of little pull offs where you can see a few things, most notably a look over to Moose Lake, where there was, right on cue, a beautiful Moose and her baby moose.

Dorm 15
AG
Good advice by all here. I work on the west side of the park so I have some bias. At OF, take the hotel tour if Ruth Quinn is still working. It's about an hour long and she is fantastic. Around OF there are many geothermal to see not just OF. Going north from OF there are several geyser basins and to get the best view of Grand Prismatic take the Angel Falls Trail. The cutoff to the overlook is about a mile in. Norris Geyser Basin, while the parks most active, probably can be skipped unless Steamboat Geyser will be going off. It's the tallest geyser in the world and for the past two years quite active so you could get lucky. Lone Star geyser just south of OF and about an easy 2 mile hike(4 mile in and out) is great. It erupts reasonably on schedule so you won't have to wait long.

From Lake the hotel tour is supposed to great. Going east Grant Village and the walk around there is ok. There is a Natural Bridge just east of Bridge Bay and a short easy hike. Following the Yellowstone River and going west are many sulfur (stinky) geothermal and the Hayden Valley. Should be several bison herds and perhaps a grizzly. This will take you to Canyon and do not miss the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. From Canyon(if they have finished the road project) you can go to the Lamar Valley. In September it will be where the large herds of bison are. Given your limited time you may have to decide (if the road is not finished) whether going to Norris and Mammoth then to the Lamar Valley is something you want to do.

Be prepared for slow driving. Speed limits are low and if someone sees a chipmunk 5 miles off the road they will stop in the middle of the road for a picture. If my summer goes as planned I will be leaving around Labor Day. I hope to catch our Aggies on 9/11 in Denver. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. We all hope the NPS Visitor Centers open this year because they are all fantastic. Have a great trip.

McNasty
AG
Pick a morning to wake up early and hit the Lamar River Valley (NE corner of Yellowstone). You will see more diversity of wildlife in that one morning than the rest of the trip combined.

At Tetons, rent a kayak and get out on String Lake. Words cannot describe.
EMY92
AG
In Grand Teton, if it's got moose in the name, you'll see a moose.

Like above, I saw one in Moose Lake. Then, I drove down Moose-Tillitson Road, sure enough, there was a moose right off of the road.

Therefore, if moose is in the name, you'll see a moose.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Hey, that's where we saw our second moose, too. I think you are on to something!
Mathguy64
AG
I have seen moose all over GTNP. I have never seen one in Yellowstone. How about that.
Dorm 15
AG

Quote:

I have seen moose all over GTNP. I have never seen one in Yellowstone. How about that.

Not surprising at all. The rangers claim the moose habitat in YNP has been pretty much been eliminated by fires.
I have seen moose in the far northeast end of the park close to Cooke City. Like you I have seen many in GTNP and the most in Jackson proper.
Dorm 15
AG
The road between Canyon and Tower Junction is still closed this season.
aggieman00
Dorm 15 said:

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what does that mean? The road closures I've seen looking in the area say they are supposed to re-open April 15th. Are there some roads that will be closed in September?
Dorm 15
AG
Not dumb at all. The road mentioned will not be open for traffic until 2022. To get to the Lamar Valley you will have to go to Mammoth. Plowing of the other roads should have begun this week. At this time the NPS is not anticipating any other road closures for this season.
Mathguy64
AG
aggieman00 said:

Dorm 15 said:

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what does that mean? The road closures I've seen looking in the area say they are supposed to re-open April 15th. Are there some roads that will be closed in September?

The issue is time. If that side of the figure 8 is closed it will be a 2.5-3 hour one way trip from the Lake Hotel area to the Lamar valley.
rwtxag83
AG
There's a ton to see at Yellowstone, but to be honest, I began to get bored with it after the 2nd day. The hot springs and geyser features are very cool, but they began to look like repeats after a while.

We went to Glacier National Park on the same trip and enjoyed it at least twice as much. Glacier is the place we wished we could have stayed longer. I've been all over the world and I consider it the most beautiful place on the planet. It's a good drive to get there from Southern Montana, but more than worth it.
Scotts Tot
AG
The main appeal of Yellowstone for tourists is the geothermal features and the opportunity to drive through the biggest mostly in-tact native ecosystem in the lower 48. After having been there many times myself, I agree that the geothermal stuff loses its appeal but I do still get a kick out of all the wildlife.

For anyone who likes to fish, the area in and around Yellowstone probably offers more quality trout water than anywhere else in the US, some of which are real bucket list type places for fly fishermen. And that never gets old...
An Ag in CO
AG
Grand Tetons - the best hiking is up through the canyons. The scenery at the top and the wildlife along the way are absolutely amazing. Most people fortunately only hike the easy bits so taking the time to hike up to Lake of the Crags gets you away from people and into the park in an awesome setting. Paintbrush Canyon and Cascade Canyon loop is another fantastic hike and much easier than Lake of the Crags. Taking the tram up to the top and then hiking down through Death Canyon is also a must-do hike. Basically the top of all the canyons are unreal in their beauty. You will see bear and moose, though so be prepared.
Dorm 15
AG
Quote:

For anyone who likes to fish, the area in and around Yellowstone probably offers more quality trout water than anywhere else in the US, some of which are real bucket list type places for fly fishermen. And that never gets old...
That is why I go back and work every year.
Scotts Tot
AG
Mind if I ask what kind of work you do up there?
Dorm 15
AG
I work at the Madison Campground
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.