Camino de Santiago

6 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 2wealfth Man
A New Hope
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone done it?

I'm planning to do it summer 2022. Figure 35-40 days. I'm 57. I'm reaching the end of my time to do it. Bucket list item.

Any advice is appreciated.
Apache
AG
No, but it's on my bucket list as well.

There is a movie starring Martin Sheen called "The Way" that is about the Camino... worth a watch.
breezecustomtravel
AG
My husband's boss did it a few years ago, when I asked her about it and if she had any advice she said:
1. Start training early
2. And train with what you're going to wear/carry so you don't get blisters and you get used to the weight.

She said it was definitely a life-changing experience.

Good luck!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
A New Hope
Saw 'the way' few days ago. That's what got me hooked. Seen a few other documentary type shows as well. Friend of mine did the whole thing a few years ago. But he's 15 years younger than me.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Oh and it took her 38 days and she was 56 when she completed it.
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
SkiMo
AG
Recently listened to the Camino de Santiago Sleep Story on the Calm App and now I wanna go
UglyScientist
It's on my list! My brother and his wife (late 20s) did part of it for their honeymoon. They had basically the same advice Breeze shared. They were gone about 3 weeks. Did it mid November and they ran into less than pleasant weather, so maybe pick a different month
2wealfth Man
AG
Wife and I doing the Camino Primitivo in September (pushed back from am originally scheduled 2020 trip). We start in Oviedo, walk through the Northern Mountains in Asturias and Galacia, and end up in Santiago. I think time of year is critical as the Camino Frances can get really really crowded these days. July and August in the summer is obviously going to be the peak. If you any have flexibility, I would try for early June or September.

We chose the northern route and September to avoid the crowds.

Aside from logistics, this is a religious and/or personal pilgrimage for most people; so you may want to think how you can get "something" personal out of doing it. Some want to unplug and reflect; some are overcoming disease, personal issues or personal loss and many just want to connect with their faith on a higher level. For me, I want to use the time to reflect on how I want to spend my retirement years and get some renewal time with my spouse. There is also the aspect of getting in better physical shape as well.

ETA: For Catholics; 2021 is a special year on the Camino as there will be an indulgence granted for those completing the way and then walking through the Holy Doors of the cathedral in Santiago. Because of that and the pent up demand due to no pilgrims in 2020 (COVID) I expect this year to be really really busy.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Yep, husband's boss went in September as that's when she was advised as the best weather wise.
Lauren K '07
@breezecustomtravel
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

ETA: For Catholics; 2021 is a special year on the Camino as there will be an indulgence granted
Indulgences are still a thing?
2wealfth Man
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

ETA: For Catholics; 2021 is a special year on the Camino as there will be an indulgence granted
Indulgences are still a thing?
all depends on your personal faith
A New Hope
Maybe I'm nuts but my main concern weather wise is rain. Anyone know which months are best to avoid rain? I don't like the cold either so the winter, early spring, late fall months are definitely out for me as well.
craigernaught
AG
My wife and I walked the Camino in May/June 2015. It was a fantastic, although sometimes a painful, experience. I highly recommend it. Weather was good. Some rain. Not so bad but unavoidable. Warm days and cool nights.

We used this book as a guide. It was the most popular English language guide used by the friends we made on the trip. Take it with you and read before for planning. It's fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1912216108/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1912216108

Some random advice:

Pack light. Very light. There are places where you can store items at the beginning or ship them to Santiago awaiting your arrival. Every pound matters. Some people even ripped pages out of their guidebooks for reduced weight.

Make friends along the way. It's incredibly helpful and one of the joys of the experience. That's not usually our thing, but it's easy when everyone is taking on the same challenge and journey together. Best to make friends at the albergues (pilgrim hostels) along the way, especially early on. Dinner is often served communally. And you sleep, often quite literally, right next to each other.

Wear knee braces from the beginning. I also recommend a hiking stick or poles. Your knees will thank you. Uphills are hard at first, especially over the mountains if you start on the French border in St Jean. After a week or so, uphills are a relief. Downhill is worse. Hiking sticks and poles help.

Leave early, early in the morning. Hostels and hotels fill up if you're late and you may not be able to find a place to sleep or use washing facilities.

Some places are cold at night, even in the summer but get hot during the day while hiking. Prepare to layer. A challenge when packing light.

Get a pilgrims passport and ask for stamps everywhere. It's fun. And it helps you remember. Lots of stops at churches and historical sites. Very moving and cool even for the non-religious.

Hike with your gear beforehand!

Buen Camino!
Kool
AG
Narrowing in on this for this September. I am lucky to have a very good friend (and my personal physician) who is Basque, he was born in Spain before moving to Puerto Rico then U.S. He is obviously fluent in Spanish (and Basque dialect). I cannot take too many days off, so we are probably only going to do 112 km on the English Way, from Ferrol to Santiago. We will do a few days in Madrid and maybe Toledo as well. My friend let me know about an app from the Galician government called Xunta Camino Santiago Travel. There is another app called Way of St. James (Buen Camino) with updates on routes, restaurants, hostels, etc. Apparently it tracks you by GPS and lets you know about local options for these as you hike. Hopefully the COVID situation will remain calm there, I know the region is absolutely hurting economically and would like to get this source of tourist dollars opened up again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Maybe I'm nuts but my main concern weather wise is rain. Anyone know which months are best to avoid rain?

I haven't done the Camino, but did the San Fermines in Pamplona years ago which is in early July. A cold front came in & lowered temps to the 50's and dropped rain on us but only for a day.
You'll need some lightweight raingear for sure.

Northern Spain is amazing...
2wealfth Man
AG
get this for rain; works perfect. We used on rainy days on the Camino

http://www.thepacka.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.