Colorado Christmas Ski Trip

6,143 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FC12
OasisMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JustPanda said:

The Keystone 4 pack is a great deal for those planning on sliding only keystone. The Summit county pass isn't bad either.

When you break down the cost, they pay for themselves after the second day at the full walk up window price.
ya was thinking of getting the keystone pass for the wife+me; kids lift tickets would be free depending if we stay in the right place
aggiejet
AG
Just emailed you with our dates & some details. Thanks.
JustPanda
AG
Got it - just sent
Aggie Hunter
AG
Hyatt at beaver creek is a ski in ski out with great schools and lots of beginner slopes.
gigemhilo
AG
We went to Keystone on our first family trip and it was a mistake - WAY too steep for beginners. We went to Breckenridge the next year and it was much more beginner friendly. Id say my boys didnt really learn to ski until we went to Breckenridge.

ALSO, I would recommend RENTING ski clothes. it will help keep your costs down - especially for the kids (since they will likely never wear the clothes again).

Good luck!
JustPanda
AG
Keystone is the least steep of the 4 70 corridor mountains.

The order goes:

Vail
Breck
BC
Keystone

If you stay any direction off Argentine it's very shallow and if you take skiers left off Peru it's all flat park and beginner low grade greens.

BrokeAssAggie
JustPanda,

I'm looking at a spring break trip with my family and in laws. Would love to chat with you about good places to stay with small kids, ages ranging from 1 to 10.
Aggie Athlete Involved
AG
Agree on Breck chair 9 for 1st time and beginners. Graduate to the few blues and you'll have a blast.
JustPanda
AG
What's your email?
BrokeAssAggie
The other family we are traveling with has decided on Winter Park , so that looks like where we will be going. Any recommendations and/or tips for that area?
Win At Life
AG
Are the Covid restrictions any less at Granby, being it's in Grand county and not summit county?
JustPanda
AG
Colorado Covid Dial - you can look up every county in the state.
Quito
AG
Panda,

I'm intermediate skier and wife is beginner...can do greens and blues confidently, but slowly. Looking to take our 9 year old and twin 7 year olds.

Thinking 2 days lessons for kids abd then hopefully be able to ski with them.

We have been to Breck and liked it. I love Beaver Creek. We have friends that say Granby Tanch is perfect for first timers.

Where would you go considering our kids and Covid restrictions. Looking to go week of Feb 22....thinking during the week to avoid weekend crowds.

Thanks for any help!
JustPanda
AG
Quito
AG
Thanks Panda! Not worried about Covid, just don't want crowds and prefer somewhere with open restaurants.

Thinking less crowds and more greens would be best for kids.

JustPanda
AG
Quito
AG
How does that work, don't you have to be there?

My main questions are:

1) Best place for first timers
2) Are weekends awful for crowds (not worried about Covid, worried about lines and tons of skiers
JustPanda
AG
JustPanda
AG
LylaGarrity
AG
Hey Panda,
I saw your post in the travel forums and wanted to reach out. I'm debating Aspen Buttermilk vs Vail. I'm just looking to become a slightly better skier and have some good food. I'd like to stay somewhere that's not a hassle. If you have time let me know if you have any opinions on buttermilk vs vail. Thanks!
Quito
AG
Thanks for all the help here...especially Panda!

We went ahead and booked Granby Ranch 2/15-19...looks to be perfect for first time you g skiers.

I'll report back after the trip.
Schall 02
AG
LylaGarrity said:

Hey Panda,
I saw your post in the travel forums and wanted to reach out. I'm debating Aspen Buttermilk vs Vail. I'm just looking to become a slightly better skier and have some good food. I'd like to stay somewhere that's not a hassle. If you have time let me know if you have any opinions on buttermilk vs vail. Thanks!

Buttermilk is hard to beat for beginners, but there aren't many fancy food options. But parking is free and right at the base. Not much in the way of ski in - ski out accommodations either.
JustPanda
AG
LylaGarrity
AG
Thank you for the info!
LylaGarrity
AG
Thanks! I think due to the covid red status Aspen seems more limited.
FC12
JustPanda - any leads on Telluride properties? I've skied Breck a few times and want to do something a bit different this year.
*But if you have some inside scoop on a 2bdrm condo in Breck...then let's chat!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.