Driving from Vegas to Sedona

13 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SquirrellyDan
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're taking a little vacation, doing a few days in Vegas then renting a car and spending a few days in Sedona.

Any advice on what to stop and see (other than the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam) on the trip to Sedona? Also, I've never been to Sedona and would appreciate any tips on food, things to check out, etc.
AgMechEngr
Howdy,

I just did a very similar trip in early September, but the opposite direction. We landed in Phoenix, AZ and drove the first day to Sedona and stayed the night. We didn't spend much time in Sedona.

After Sedona, we made our way to Page, AZ where we stayed for 1 day and 1 night. We went kayaking in Lake Powell which was a great time.

After Page, we went to Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah and stayed there for 1 day and 1 night. We did some hiking in the park which lasted about half the day.

The next day, we got up early and headed to Zion National Park. We hiked Angels Landing the first day, but the end of the hike with the chains was blocked off due to COVID. Some people decided to continue with the rest of the hike anyway.

The next day we did the Watchman Trail early in the morning and then did a small portion of The Narrows hike. We weren't well prepared for the Narrows hike as the water quickly got above waist level, so we turned around as we had to drive a few hours to Vegas later in the day and didn't want to do so wet.

Worth noting for Zion: I believe we had to book busses to get to the trails on both days in advance for $1 each.

After the Narrows hike, we drove to Vegas and spent the night there before flying back to Houston the next day.

Hope this helps. Overall, it was a great trip that my group really enjoyed. Not much downtime to relax, but relaxing isn't really our thing.
SquirrellyDan
AG
AgMechEngr said:

Howdy,

I just did a very similar trip in early September, but the opposite direction. We landed in Phoenix, AZ and drove the first day to Sedona and stayed the night. We didn't spend much time in Sedona.

After Sedona, we made our way to Page, AZ where we stayed for 1 day and 1 night. We went kayaking in Lake Powell which was a great time.

After Page, we went to Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah and stayed there for 1 day and 1 night. We did some hiking in the park which lasted about half the day.

The next day, we got up early and headed to Zion National Park. We hiked Angels Landing the first day, but the end of the hike with the chains was blocked off due to COVID. Some people decided to continue with the rest of the hike anyway.

The next day we did the Watchman Trail early in the morning and then did a small portion of The Narrows hike. We weren't well prepared for the Narrows hike as the water quickly got above waist level, so we turned around as we had to drive a few hours to Vegas later in the day and didn't want to do so wet.

Worth noting for Zion: I believe we had to book busses to get to the trails on both days in advance for $1 each.

After the Narrows hike, we drove to Vegas and spent the night there before flying back to Houston the next day.

Hope this helps. Overall, it was a great trip that my group really enjoyed. Not much downtime to relax, but relaxing isn't really our thing.

Thanks for the input! That all sounds awesome. I love to hike, but I won't be able to talk the wife into a significant detour outside of the Grand Canyon. We will do a short hike there and I plan on doing some morning hikes around Sedona, but she's more of the get to where we are going so she can go to the spa and have a drink type.

Thanks again for the input.
txag2008
AG
FYI, check the Hoover dam site, but I thought a lot of the viewing spots were shut down right now.
AggieOO
When in Sedona, make the 45 min drive to Jerome.

I also love flagstaff, but its very different than Sedona.
archangelus2
AG
We just did a trip from tuscon to phoenix to sedona to grand canyon to lake powell.

I highly recommend renting a boat to explore lake powell for a day, we had never done anything like it and it was amazing. I also spent about 30 minutes at sunset crater national monument and was very intrigued. Forrested mountain area littered with ash and lava flows from a volcano explosion 1200 years ago... Really cool place i want to spend more time at.

Flagstaff was a really cool town. Sedona was beautiful but an absolute madhouse when we went. Long traffic jams, hour long waits at every single restaurant and no parking at the popular trailheads. Kind of ruined it for us.
gigemhilo
AG
I would definitely see Page, AZ and Zion if possible.
SquirrellyDan
AG
archangelus2 said:

We just did a trip from tuscon to phoenix to sedona to grand canyon to lake powell.

I highly recommend renting a boat to explore lake powell for a day, we had never done anything like it and it was amazing. I also spent about 30 minutes at sunset crater national monument and was very intrigued. Forrested mountain area littered with ash and lava flows from a volcano explosion 1200 years ago... Really cool place i want to spend more time at.

Flagstaff was a really cool town. Sedona was beautiful but an absolute madhouse when we went. Long traffic jams, hour long waits at every single restaurant and no parking at the popular trailheads. Kind of ruined it for us.
Thanks for the input. I'm kind of happy to hear Sedona had a lot of people there....not because I like a lot of people but I also don't like stuff boarded up and closed because of COVID. We'll be there mon-thursday, so hopefully it won't be as bad during the week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.