Ski Trip - Help

4,547 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rynning
tommyjohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My kids have never seen snow and want to go to the mountains. I have not skied since HS and went 4 or 5 times when I was a kid. I am 41 now.

The wife has never been and just thinks it is something rich white people do.

Kids are 5 and 8.

Where should I look? I have experience with Breckenridge and Copper Mountain but that is 25 yrs ago.
bam02
AG
I recommend ski in/ski out if possible or at least going where the mountain has a town or plenty of lodging.

Red River NM is great for this. It's drives me from TX and is a great town and mountain for families.

There are tons of places like this in CO including Breckinridge. Awesome town and mountain and decently close to Denver.

We skied Purgatory CO this past season and it was great. Most people stay in Durango and drive ~40 minutes to the mountain but we stayed in lodging at the resort and it was great. Not as fun as being in a town but still had a couple of dining options and things to do.
histag10
AG
Angelfire is a good beginner mountain if you want to go to NM. I would not suggest Taos for beginners.
JMac03
AG
I have only been skiing once, I was probably 17-18. We went to Winter Park. I thought it was great!
JustPanda
AG
Ski Cooper (Leadville) or Monarch (Salida) or Sunlight (Glenwood) - low cost, good instructors, and not in crazy busy ski areas so the prices stay fairly decent in winter.

Im a big advocate of doing lessons on smaller hills that don't command a premium because it makes little sense to spend crazy money learning on the hill.
JustPanda
AG
Id avoid the large corporate mountains: Aspen, Steamboat, Copper, ABay and Vail. (Breck, BC, Keystone, etc)
NoahAg
1) Wait till it's a little colder.
2) Your wife is right.
3) Assuming you're in Texas, Red River is a good place to start.
JustPanda
AG
They don't check birthdays.... 4 and under are usually free. So just thinking he may still be four...second lap.
Kjodie
JustPanda said:

Ski Cooper (Leadville) or Monarch (Salida) or Sunlight (Glenwood) - low cost, good instructors, and not in crazy busy ski areas so the prices stay fairly decent in winter.

Im a big advocate of doing lessons on smaller hills that don't command a premium because it makes little sense to spend crazy money learning on the hill.

I agree. These smaller hills are cheaper, fewer people in the ski school and you have smaller lift lines with fewer people on the mountain = better experience
I.Y.A.C.Y.A.S. '91
Fairview
AG
Lots of good smaller hill but I wouldn't do Sunlight. It's a dump. Ski Cooper is actually pretty cool. Almost has a hot tub time machine 90's ski area kind of feel. Plus the tiny bar there charges pretty much $3 for any type of drink.

Just to play devils advocate you can't beat the Beaver Creek Ski School for quality. Yeah it's expensive but my kids learned there and were part of their youth development program and it was great.

It also depends if you are looking for the ski town resort feel for when you aren't skiing. A lot of the smaller places don't have that.

OasisMan
AG
OP,
thats pretty much my story last year, except my kids were 10+11

we ended up going vail

pick something with lots of greens w/ good school schools
keystone kids <12 get free stuff like lift tickets, they also have an ice palace
Austintm
Telluride is great, and is a lot less crowded than the places West of Denver. It doesn't get the weekend or day traffic those places do because it is remote, so the lift lines are shorter (though who knows how all of that is going to work this year). It's also incredibly beautiful. The ski school there is very good.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
This thread has givin you some good family friendly and budget friendly options, but you didn't mention budget. If you want to go low budget, I'll add Sipapu, NM to the list. They are really affordable, extremely family friendly, and a very gentle mountain for beginners. Most Texans have never heard of it. I can ski there with my family for about 60% of what a day at Angel Fire costs (which is 1/2 of Breckenridge or Vail)

But if you are a high dollar vacationer looking for the easiest way to do this and willing to pay... I'd go to Beaver Creek. Pretty much all the lodging is Ski in/Ski out. You can arrange for your kids to go to ski school and you'd literally drop them off in the morning, go ski and have your fun, and pick them up in the afternoon. But your looking at $350 per kid per day of skiing (lesson, equipment, lunch included), plus your lodging.

tommyjohn
Thanks for the recs.

I am looking for something with a little more than just a mountain to ski. Something to keep us busy if everyone but me hates the skiing.

I haven't though much about budget but Beaver Creek sounds like more than I want to spend.

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
They say they built Beaver Creek for the billionaires when Vail got over-run with millionaires

Bit of an exaggeration, but they will absolutely take care of you there. I go every other year with family for Thanksgiving, its my kids favorite vacation.

JustPanda
AG
Avon isn't nearly as expensive as BC - BC is the hill above the town of Avon. Just FYI.
NoahAg
Austintm said:

Telluride is great, and is a lot less crowded than the places West of Denver. It doesn't get the weekend or day traffic those places do because it is remote, so the lift lines are shorter (though who knows how all of that is going to work this year). It's also incredibly beautiful. The ski school there is very good.
This for sure. We were there 2 years ago over Christmas and New Year's. Still it wasn't nearly as crowded as a regular weekend in Summit County.

JustPanda
AG
SumCo mountains have the longest wait lines in the state. It's not even close.

Silverton and Wolf Creek check a lot of the boxes you've asked about... also mostly off the tourist radar and both get some of the best snow in the state.
JustPanda
AG
I don't disagree with all of those sentiments. I just hate to give people the Vail ski school rec (my other half works as a blue coat) just because it's like asking what's the best item on a menu and the waiter telling you the most expensive item. If you have the resources, they're top notch. That's why they give a guarantee when most places won't touch one.

However, if you're trying to stay cost effective Cooper is just a gem. It's flat for around here (perfect for beginners) it's never crowded it's gorgeous, and you nailed it on the prices. Leadville is a cool town too. If you don't want to stay that elevated you have Minturn 25 minutes on the other side of Tenn Pass.

My two learned at vail and Monarch. Monarch had a strong program back then. Mostly well vetted locals working for a pass. Monarch and Coop have similar pricing too. Salida and BV are great in the winter if you aren't a snow hog since you're in a spectacularly beautiful valley vs on the hill.

Great points Fairview.
Fairview
AG
Just for clarity for those not familiar Ski Cooper and Copper Mountain are two totally different places that are commonly thought of as the same place. My wife didn't know they were different the first few years we lived here.
HollywoodBQ
AG
If you want to do things on a budget, rent a condo in Summit County - Frisco, Dillon, etc.

For a good all around family experience, go to Keystone or Breckenridge. Especially if your crew really doesn't know how to ski.

I recommend renting your equipment at the mountain until you know what you're doing. Next year you can save money by renting in town. If you need to exchange something, skis too long, boots don't fit, etc. on the mountain is where you want to do that.

If you want to see metric craptons of snow and also do some skiing, I highly recommend Alyeska in Girdwood, Alaska. It will probably cost more to fly to Alaska than drive to Colorado but... it will be an amazing experience that will be different than your posh Texas friends will have.
JustPanda
AG
I don't think I'd call anything Vail or Alterra related as "budget". I'm not tying to be a nit pick, I just don't want people to have the perception that those lift prices and accommodations are "motel 6" - monarch wolf creek silverton powderhorn cooper sunlight Granbury ranch purgatory Hesperus etc (lift tickets under 100) focused around small ski towns (ie los alamos w pajarito In NM) are more what I'd consider great hills within a blue collar price range.
Phat32
AG
Think he's referring to the fact that the lodging in Frisco or Dillon will be way less expensive than staying in Vail itself. Then you have the option of multiple hills as well.

OP, you need to consider what type of vacation and your budget. Some of the places being recommended here are very nice but very $$$ (Vail, BC, etc) and others are $ but may not fit what your family is expecting.

Vail and BC have a snooty reputation due to the money there, but Vail is probably the best overall mountain experience on the planet. The ski school at BC is just awesome.
HollywoodBQ
AG
yukmonkey said:

Think he's referring to the fact that the lodging in Frisco or Dillon will be way less expensive than staying in Vail itself. Then you have the option of multiple hills as well.

OP, you need to consider what type of vacation and your budget. Some of the places being recommended here are very nice but very $$$ (Vail, BC, etc) and others are $ but may not fit what your family is expecting.

Vail and BC have a snooty reputation due to the money there, but Vail is probably the best overall mountain experience on the planet. The ski school at BC is just awesome.
Exactly. All of the above.

If you want cheap there are lots of options but they may not be that good. Not joking, I learned how to ride a snowboard at Ski Butler, Kentucky when I was in the Army at Fort Knox in 1994. They did a rental + lift for $25 with military ID.

Of course, you get what you pay for But, the first three days that you're trying to find an edge on a snowboard, it doesn't matter if you're at 11,000 feet in Colorado, at Heavenly with Lake Tahoe in the background, or on a 300 foot hill in Kentucky. The pain and suffering will be the same. What does matter is that you're with friends/family and having a good time and - not going broke doing it.

For more affordable accommodation, that's where I was talking about renting a condo in Summit County.

I'll say it like the "Drink Girl" told me in a Budapest, Hungary strip club when she hit me with the bill for a $90 glass of champagne - "If you buy girl drink, you know what it cost".

By that I mean, skiing isn't a poor person's sport. You're going to be dropping some coin just to get in the game.

Save the real nice/expensive places for AFTER you know what you're doing. You don't need to pay for ski-in/ski-out if you don't even know how to ski yet.

For a learner and/or a party with mixed experience levels, I'd stick with Keystone/Breck. Full disclosure, i learned how to ski at Keystone in 1986 and I still love that 3 mile long Schoolmarm run. Took me forever to master the flat sections on a snowboard. I also had a terrible experience on a work outing to Winter Park on the Ski Train so I'm going back to Winter Park on the first of Never.

With skiing/snowboarding, there are so many places you can go, I've been to Alaska, Vermont, West Virginia, Kentucky, Nevada, California, but you've got to start somewhere. Heck, I still remember how afraid I was of falling off the chair lift on the bunny slope at Keystone. Good Luck!
Fairview
AG
Falling down getting on / off is a right of passage for all new skiers and snow boarders.

One time my wife and I were at Beaver Creek skiing and an instructor was splitting up her class of little ones on the lift which is common. We were on the lift with a girl that was probably about 7.

For whatever reason my wife was worried about her getting off (which was crazy because the best skiers with no fear seem to be the under 10 and over 70 crowd) and she was watching her get off.

One problem. She forgot to get off and her feet were coming off the ground again so she decided to jump. I'm long off and just hear a crashing noise behind me as she has a yard sale. They had to stop the lift and help her pickup all her stuff. She was mortified.

I laughed my ass off for about an hour straight.
JustPanda
AG
OMG that's great - i have to pick my two up the back of coats to get them on the lifts. They love jumping off the lifts. It's a hoot.

Hoards of mini-shredders are terrifying to most anyone over 50 inches tall.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Little kids are hilarious to watch ski because they don't have any poles and they just bounce right back up.
They don't yard sale all over the place like us olds.
JustPanda
AG
Bre's had kids fall asleep and not fall over. Their helmet became almost a joystick leading them down the mountain. It was hilarious.

I usually don't use poles. I'll usually keep a adjusts je set broken down in my pack but normally ski free hand.
WorkerBee
With kids that young I would highly recommend Granby Ranch. Small resort that is great for small kids. We skied Breckenridge, Winter Park, Santa Fe, Park City with our kids and they still say Granby Ranch was their favorite place up until they became teenagers.The wife and l look back and ask what the hell where we thinking dragging 3 young kids to Breck and WP. We didn't know any better. We still try to go once or twice a year because it is more laid back - summer is actually our favorite time to go.

Granby Ranch is small enough that you can sit in the bar and watch your kids ski / do the ski school. Plenty of lodging options and the cost will run you half of what the bigger resorts cost. Crowds have always been reasonable when compared to the others. WP is 30 minutes away and there is lots to do in the area. Fraser has tubing hills. Snow Mountain Ranch (YMCA) has lots of stuff for young kids also. Take the wife to Devil Thumbs Ranch.

We have met quite a few Aggies there also. And in spite of a previous poster on another thread ragging on Texans and asking them to stay away, we have never had a problem with the locals.
mpl35
AG
If money is an issue make sure you check ski school prices. We often ski at Snowy Range in WY because it is cheap. Spring Break is Steamboat......but lessons at steamboat are 2-3x what we pay at Snowy Range.
aglaohfour
AG
You've gotten tons of great advice here. I'll just add our personal experience with Beaver Creek and the Ski School there was outstanding. We had previously only skied in UT (Park City and Brighton) and thought those were good as well, but Beaver Creek outshone them by a mile. I could not believe how quickly my six year old progressed over the course of three full days of their small group lessons.

Also the amenities in Beaver Creek village are wonderful if you have non-skiers (or people who don't want to ski ALL day) in your group. It was worth every dime that we spent. I highly recommend it.
Ragoo
AG
1A) Red River: everything is right there in one spot. Can essentially walk everywhere from the hill to hotel, etc. just very convenient.

1B) Pagosa Springs - Wolf Creek: Pagosa is a nice enough town for the family but is a drive everyday to Wolf Creek. Wolf Creek always has great snow and is a fun hill.
atag
AG
Red river if you are wanting to go on a decent budget. Decent food, GREAT brewery, fun easy runs. It is where I learned to ski 28 years ago and have been back several times since. If budget is no option then aspen is amazing. If you want fine dining and the best ski school then aspen is the best we have been to in the US. My daughter still talks about aspen ski school and literally was in tears when we turned in her boots. We are doing aspen again this year because our 4 year old will be skiing for her first time and we just have found their ski school to be tops! Also, if you and your wife are beginning skiers then buttermilk is a really fun and easy little mountain. Also the alpine coaster is a blast and I'm kind of a sucker for the enclosed gondolas....i like the break from the cold lol.

If you do red River they have a really fun little dinner experience where you go up on the snow cat thing to their restaurant and its like a 5 course dinner if i remember correctly. Lots of fun!
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
Mr President Elect
AG
Why are there some recs for Silverton on here? It is an all black, hike/heli mountain, unless there is another one(?)

It won't be cheap almost no matter what, but will definitely be fun. Don't skimp on lessons and try to just wing it. If you ski in Colorado, don't freak out about needing to buy everything in Texas as there will be plenty of places to buy stuff once you arrive.
mpl35
AG
willjohnathan said:

Why are there some recs for Silverton on here? It is an all black, hike/heli mountain, unless there is another one(?)

shh... just let the op show up with his elementary age kids to heli ski.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.