Ski Trip - Help

4,547 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rynning
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure how they're planning on making this happen but it's great news.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-mountain-boss-resort-plans-to-open-all-lifts-terrain/
agdaddy04
AG
You mean because of staff shortages? Why else wouldn't they be able to open?
The Lost
agdaddy04 said:

You mean because of staff shortages? Why else wouldn't they be able to open?

Staffing/operating cost. From the last article I read they have zero clue about capacity restrictions. Sounds like they are planning limited food, but full lift capacity. All it takes is the flip of the governors pen to make that 50% or less. I doubt it's cost effective at all at vail to open all the back bowls/run the lifts for limited crowds.
agdaddy04
AG
We've already bought our Ikon passes for the year but they'll let us defer to next year. Think the mountains will be worth it this year?
JustPanda
AG
I get an Epic pass through work. If not, I probs would be holding off until things become more clear. I got a Monarch pass for $299 which is great deal IMO. Also gives me 3 days at Loveland Sunlight A Basin etc. I can't fathom Monarch Sunlight etc being crowded.

I'm also collecting split boards to see in the fall if they announce terrain closures or quotas. The demand will be insane.
JustPanda
AG
Plus, no J-1's. Not saying they're heavy lifties, but it's more than a handful. Considering green coats were opping lifts early last season before the J-1 arrived, I don't see how they operate at full terrain safely.

I passed on ski patrol this year because I know it's going to be stretched and bloody with the extra backcountry.

I've already scraped enough dead people off ponderosa limbs, tree wells, and rock faces for 2019/20/21 seasons.
ccard257
AG
Not enough Taos love on this thread. Great mountain, great ski school, and easier on the wallet than vail/BC. If you stay in town it's a great town as well, the drive up in the morning isn't bad, and all the parking is close enough that I usually don't wait for the shuttle that is circling the lot. Also has a smaller, friendlier feel that I just don't get in most of CO anymore. That said, I think Taos the only place in NM worth skiing but if I had to pick a #2, red river is better than angel fire.

**** summit county, but If I had to take my family there I'd go Copper. I like Monarch as well but have no experience with the family side of things there.

Although Silverton is pretty fantastic...only place I've ever skied that included afternoon beers.
rebag00
AG
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/08/27/vail-resorts-ski-season-coronavirus-reservations/244367/

New info on Vail resorts. Looks like it could be a crap shoot, though the skiing at all three resorts is tremendous.

I echo ccard's sentiments above - I like Taos. I have liked their ski school for kiddos, as well. It is good skiing, too.
JustPanda
AG
The Mountain doesn't look like it'll be full most days, but Breck is going to be hit hard and the holidays will likely have no walk up passes for sale.

If you're skiing on day passes it's going to be a crap shoot
fka ftc
Going to add in my 3 cents.

Cent one, wife has never been which means she is also learning along with the kids. Has she before expressed a strong desire to ski? If she is content with something rich white people do, then she may want to know rich white people also like to just rent a snowmobile or take a snowcat tour, enjoy the snow, drink peppermint schnapps by the fire, etc.

Cent two, skiing is hell expensive for 6 hours a day for torturing your body at high altitude. Refer to the previous cent about wife learning, add in kids, and you are paying a ton of money to be miserable.

Cent 3, those kids are young and while its a great age for them to learn, if you are not otherwise committed to an annual ski trip then I would wait until they are a little order so they make some memories.

Seems to be a lot of posts on this thread from people that like / love to ski and that's great. I have been a few times, my wife and 10yo have not. Just offering a different perspective that you can take the family to the snow and skip the complexities of skiing. Whichever you chose, have patience and you will undoubtedly have a great time.

Bonus Tip: Whatever you do please do not involve yourself in teaching your wife how to ski. Pretty sure its how most Dateline episodes where the wife kills the husband start.
oldag941
AG
Says only season tix holders until Dec 8th. So Thanksgiving isn't possible. Lottery is what I'm hearing for other resorts. Going to be tough to plan distant travel in advance.
agdaddy04
AG
Where'd you see this? Wonder if Ikon resorts are doing this as well.
Slim Isle
Snow Mass
JustPanda
AG
What about snow mass?
JustPanda
AG
Alterra is likely doing lottery not a reservation system. I had lunch with the summer ops head for Copper this afternoon and this was the talk of the town.

Pass Holders getting to reserve 7 days is going to kill the OOS va action crowds chances of getting in the hill. It'll be interesting no doubt
HollywoodBQ
AG
fka ftc said:

Bonus Tip: Whatever you do please do not involve yourself in teaching your wife (or any other person you want to remain friends with) how to ski. Pretty sure its how most Dateline episodes where the wife kills the husband start.
FIFY
HollywoodBQ
AG
fka ftc said:

Cent two, skiing is hell expensive for 6 hours a day for torturing your body at high altitude. Refer to the previous cent about wife learning, add in kids, and you are paying a ton of money to be miserable.
Skiing is something you need to try many times over a several year period.
It might take 1 full day of lessons to where you can make it down the mountain without feeling like you're going to kill yourself.

After a cumulative 4-7 days skiing, you can really start having fun. Obviously, differences in athletic aptitude and physical condition, proper cold weather gear and well fitting ski equipment will make a huge difference in your results.

If you try snowboarding, there is a longer pain cycle (about 3 days of being miserable) but, there is a faster time to enjoyment (in my opinion).
maroon10
AG
I boarded for the first time at 18 with my now husband. I hated it because I was on my buns the whole time and naturally athletic...I was frustrated I didn't just "pick it up." I swore I'd never go back and try. 14 years later, I can now keep up with him on the mountain.

Like previous poster said...you gotta continue trying as you won't pick it up on the first trip.
gigemhilo
AG
OP-

If you want to go somewhere nice thats good for beginners, I would just stick with Breckenridge. It has a lot of good beginner slopes. The village is a great hang out place, and its right down the road from Frisco/Dillon as well. Flying into Denver is pretty cheap and you can rent a car or shuttle from there. The added bonus is that you are already kinda familiar with it.

Also, a little tip since you are unsure if everyone will like it. You can rent ski clothes from a company called Mountain Threads. You select everything you need online. It keeps you from having to buy clothes you may never use again. They have a pickup location in Golden right on the interstate, or you have the option of having it delivered to your condo.

Good luck!

JustPanda
AG
When're you looking to go? That's gonna determine where to avoid....
rynning
AG
Wherever you go, especially if everyone is basically a beginner, budget for at least a day of lessons, possibly even "family" lessons. You will have a much better time. Skiing, and especially snowboarding, is not a self-taught sport for most people.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.