Loooong RV or 5th wheel trip

2,691 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NoahAg
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

I'll be the dissenting opinion on this. My inlaws had a 5th wheel and now a class c rv. We've used both regularly. More than they do by a wide margin. We have a 1 year old and a 5 year old. The class c is much easier to travel in with kids than the 5th wheel. Not even close.

It's a lot easier to contain kids at gas stop when no one has to leave the RV. We only stop for gas, but when we do everyone gets a snack and drink and uses our bathroom. The wife handles that with the girls while I pump diesel. The car seats fit easily in the dinette with the table removed and gives them their own space with each having a box of toys. The ride at the dinette is no different than the front.

Don't need a separate ice chest or cooler for the truck, just grab what you need from the fridge. You can use all the appliances while on the go without stopping (awesome fir coffee) by kicking on the generator. Dvds and TV through the main entertainment system. Kids get to crazy , they can get up and walk around for a bit to stretch their legs.

Only down fall is the same for any RV. You either have to tow a vehicle, unhook to drive, rent a vehicle, or only go places that are easily walkable. We tend to go places that are small enough to be walkable and plan our trip to drive places on days we have to change rv spots at the camp ground.

Thanks for the input! I will say that one negative to the 5th wheel or Travel trailer while traveling in the heat is that the motor coach will be cool as soon as you get to your destination. It's taken about 4 hours to get our 5th wheel cool after traveling from New Mexico to Monohans TX.
cohibasymas
AG
Dissenting opinions welcome! Everyone has to find what works for them. No doubt the generator and self-contained aspect of the motor home is nice.
NoahAg
TravelAg2004 said:

How's the "on the road" situation with kids? The wife and I have been discussing doing this for a while now and we go back and forth between an RV with a tow-behind or a 5th wheel and truck.

My preference is the 5th wheel and truck, but she thinks the RV would be better as it's less confining for the kids and easier to travel with them. Things like not being stuck in the car for 10-12 hours and going to the bathroom and eating.
I thought you were asking about "alone time" w/ the wife while in the close confines of a camper. How thick are those dividing walls??
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.