Durango Colorado recs

1,636 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bachelor99
The Grinder (99)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to Durango soon on a 9 day rv trip. We have a lot of our trip planned, but I have a couple days open, any suggestions?

It's wife, 10 yo daughter, 8 yo son and myself. All I'm pretty good shape.

CanyonAg77
AG
Train. Unless you're a total train nut, ride the bus one way, the train the other.

We enjoyed Harvest Grill and Greens at James Ranch.
mpl35
AG
Train up. Bus back. Best way because novelty of the train early when In town and ends in best scenery.

Mesa verde?

Ouray and hot springs for a day trip.

Keep tour of the high country.

curry97
AG
Train ride: The Knight Sky is an awesome car to ride in but a little pricey. As suggested earlier, take the train up and bus back. Also, check out the museum (it is free)

Purgatory Resort Summer Activities: watch the rain forecast cause they will shut things down if it rains

Whitewater rafting: we used Colorado Outback Adventures and they did a great job

When we were there a couple of weeks ago, there was still plenty of snow in certain areas on the highway to Silverton where you pull off and let the kids play in it. I actually lost my Aggie ring there throwing snowballs, but found it thanks to a metal detector rental in town.

Baker's Bridge: north of town, apparently where they filmed the jump scene from " Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Wear tennis shoes, pull off to the right when getting to the bridge and walk down to the river.
Austintm
mpl35 said:

Train up. Bus back. Best way because novelty of the train early when In town and ends in best scenery.

Mesa verde?

You're suggesting he take the Million Dollar Highway drive in an RV?

Mesa Verde is a nice day trip. Also, they have some summer activities and a mountain coaster and alpine slide at Purgatory.
mpl35
AG
Austintm said:

mpl35 said:

Mesa verde?

You're suggesting he take the Million Dollar Highway drive in an RV?

Mesa Verde is a nice day trip. Also, they have some summer activities and a mountain coaster and alpine slide at Purgatory.
Dang right. Lots of fun that way. Or rent a car for the day. I'd do the same for Mesa Verde to be honest.
bones75
AG
Ouray!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Thanks for the tips guys.

We booked the train ride (with combo zip line course) and also have a white water trip on a different day.

I was planning on driving to Ouray (in our expedition without camper). I've heard of that highway.

The bridge sound near and so does purgatory.

Appreciate it!
malenurse
AG
All of the suggestions so far a very good. I would add a trip to Wolf Creek Pass. Even in summer there should be several feet of snow at the overlook. The kids will love playing in the snow.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
CanyonAg77
AG
Long way to Wolf Creek Pass (way on up the great divide*) but you could plan to go through it as you travel.

*Wolf Creek Pass C.W. McCall
Hincemm
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

We booked the train ride (with combo zip line course) and also have a white water trip on a different day.

"Soaring" for zip line? If so, it is awesome...
malenurse
AG
Less than 2 hours. Nice day trip.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
CanyonAg77
AG
malenurse said:

Less than 2 hours. Nice day trip.
Three hours, 40 minutes round trip, assuming traffic is good through Pagosa. Which it won't be.

Pass.
JB
AG
We just got back from 8 days up that way. We camped at Haviland Lake when passing through Durango. We then towed our big 5th wheel over the passes and spend 4 days in Ouray. Swimming at the town hot springs pool would be fun for the kids, though it is kinda expensive. They have a big slide and water obstacle course stuff that kids the same age as yours looked to be having a blast on. The drive into Ouray is also pretty amazing

Telluride is a big longer to get to, but it is awesome as well. I wish we would have been able to stay there a little longer. You could get lucky and get a spot at the town campground there, but its first come first serve and wouldn't be worth the risk of not getting a spot. You would want to spend at least a night there, preferably 2, but staying anywhere other then the campground is going to be expensive....like everything else there. Nonetheless VERY cool town with alot of outdoor stuff to do.

Steamworks Brewing in Durango is very popular, but pretty decent pizza and beer. It's bigger then it looks, so don't let the line outside turn you off.
Bachelor99
AG
cant go to durango and not go to telluride...plenty to do in town and ride the free gondola to mountain village!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.