Where's everyone skiing this year?

7,371 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by VikingNik
texas_ute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brighton, Utah. Season pass!
Texas Ag Mom
Telluride in early Feb
RachAg2007
AG
Steamboat- season pass.
rebelag62
AG
Did park city and Brighton last weekend. Brighton night skiing is awesome btw. Steamboat for New Years, purgatory in the spring.
mpl35
mpl35
AG
I've beem skiing Snowy Range the past 3 weekends. I'll do that all season with the exception of a week at Steamboat in a March.
HECUBUS
AG
Sun Valley Spring Break
lil99chris
AG
XPATAG
AG
WildKogel - Austria

SwissAgg
AG
XPATAG said:

WildKogel - Austria

Are you living in Germany or Austria then?
Dumpster Fire
Ski Santa Fe tomorrow.
Kyle04
AG
Park City the first week of January

Will be watching the Ags bowl game there too
CowtownEng
dodger02 said:

Breck between Xmas & New Year. It'll be the first attempt at skiing for this flatlander.

How is Breck (conditions, crowd, etc.)?
I'm part of a large group that is headed up there yhis afternoon.
lazuras_dc
AG
Interested in breck report too. Namely peak9. Headed there in a week. Looks like possible snow over the weekend ?
agsalaska
AG
Angel Fire was a white out on Wednesday afternoon. Fun but blind. 10 inches of snow later and yesterday was awesome. A bunch of runs on the front opened for the first time. It was a perfect day with perfect snow.

Took my 7 year old boy and 10 year old girl skiing for the first time. They did the school Wednesday and went with us yesterday. Them and two cousins the same age. I am always amazed at how fearless the little ones are. They were little rocket ships going down the mountain yesterday. I had to work to keep up with them.

No skiing today. Too cold and we have three cars to dig out of the snow.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
The Lost
lazuras_dc said:

Interested in breck report too. Namely peak9. Headed there in a week. Looks like possible snow over the weekend ?
Was great on 12/23 before I came to texas for the holidays. Was a great powder day. Solid base. Doesn't look like its gonna get warm enough for a bunch of melting/freezing for to create ice. Should be really good conditions. Going there/keystone 30/31 which should also have great conditions with the sunday night/monday snow. As a Coloradan with the epic local pass its amazing how much better december has been than most of last year.

For those going to vail mountians, it's worth downloading the epic mix app. It shows lift line times so you can plan where you want to end up.
dodger02
AG
Sorry. Just saw this. It's my first time skiing and we've had a blast. Town is crowded AF. It's colder than a witch's tiddy but the snow seems great.

We will be back but this place is hella expensive.

ETA: Today's lines on Peak 9 were short all day. Our longest wait was 10 min. Yesterday was tough (long lines) but we had fun. Been on P9 all trip long since we are all novices and took lessons here.
NoHo Hank
AG
Anyone been skiing in the Big3 resorts in Banff National Park? Wife and I are headed there for 6 days end of February and would be interested to hear comments. Can't believe how cheap it is!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Skied A Basin in November. It was great. Stayed in Beaver Creek and drove to A Basin to avoid the high prices and snobbery of Vail/BC.

A Basin is a nice choice, and the kids lessons were as good as anywhere for about 1/3 the cost.

The snow is good all over Colorado and New Mexico this year. Angel Fire is having their best snow year is a long time, another really cheap option and a good mountain.

Motot
AG
We (wife and I) went to NM to ski. She hadn't been since high school and I wanted to teach her, so Taos was not the best option. Settled on Angel Fire for the first two days. It served the purpose as a cheaper, easier place to teach someone, but I wouldn't seek it out. Decent snow (we were there the morning after the storm went through on 12-28 ish).

Worst part of Angel Fire was there were alot of people totally out of control, speed way above skill level on greens while trying to teach some one to ski. Much more than anywhere else I've been. Had a few people crash near us due to speed while I was teaching and I let them have it. Really frustrating to have someone totally out of control, skiing with skis 3' apart, hunched over, clearly not able to pull up of maneuver if needed. Saw ski patrol not once on the mountain, once at the base telling someone who I could, from 10' away smell alcohol on, that they weren't going to take their pass for skiing to fast at the base, but they needed to slow down.

Anyways, rant on angel fire over. We went to Sipapu the last day and loved it. No long lines, better snow, cheap tickets, parked and walked 100 yards to the lift. Great place, not too hard, but good terrain. Good for learning.

Stayed in Chimayo the last night, ate at Rancho de Chimayo, it was great.
adamhdonnell
AG
Red River guys trip in February. I love my wife and kids, and I love that my wife doesn't give me hell for taking this trip every year. 1 day in Angel Fire, 1 at Taos, and wrap up the trip in Red River. The days are spent on the slopes, and the evenings around a fire sipping bourbon and smoking cigars and hearing the old guys tell old war stories. It's a fantastic time.
XPATAG
AG
Nope, went there a couple years ago and enjoyed it. Great spot for family skiing with good prices. Kids loved the world's longest toboggan run. Currently living in the Middle East.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm trying to plan a weekend in telluride in the next 6 weeks or so. Don't know when I'm going, who I'm going with or where we are staying. But to help narrow things down, should a handful (probably no more than 4) guys stay in the mountain or in town?

Whoever I go with will be a ski first group. First chair till the end and then nothing too crazy after the lifts shut down. But will definitely have some meals and beers out.
Pahdz
Anyone have any recs for skiing in the Seattle area? My wife has a couple work trips planned out there and I may tag along and go hit the slopes
MAS444
AG
Both would be fine...but I prefer in town, especially if going out for food/beers. Probably easier to find "ski in/out" lodging in MV, but plenty of options in town too...or at least really close to lifts/gondola.
NoahAg
ChipFTAC01 said:

I'm trying to plan a weekend in telluride in the next 6 weeks or so. Don't know when I'm going, who I'm going with or where we are staying. But to help narrow things down, should a handful (probably no more than 4) guys stay in the mountain or in town?

Whoever I go with will be a ski first group. First chair till the end and then nothing too crazy after the lifts shut down. But will definitely have some meals and beers out.

Can I come?
Just got back from my first trip to Telluride. It'll be hard to go anywhere else now. I'd say stay in town. Virtually anywhere in town is walkable to the gondola. Plus more restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Mountain Village is really nice but I think Telluride is a better "experience."
The Lost
Breck announced today it is staying open through memorial day pending forest service approval since they've had good snow.

http://blog.breckenridge.com/2019/01/18/breck-2018-19-season-extended/
VikingNik
AG
White Pass, WA. Really a pretty decent little mountain (~1400 acres) for the locals in mid Washington. I love the back half of it (Paradise Basin) off of the Couloir lift.

Really want to try Mt Bachelor one of these days. Maybe next winter when I can enroll my youngest in ski school.
MAS444
AG
We're driving to Telluride for the first time in the winter (early March anyway). If anyone here knows, how is 145 if it snows a lot?
FrontPorchAg
maroon10 said:

Will Tahoe be skiable end of March?
yes. It will be mostly corn snow but I have 4 ft in my front yard at the moment.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
Rose, June, Mammoth, Squaw and Bear Valley the next two months

Courmayeur in March

Then it's usually Whistler and Revelstoke in the April
Post removed:
by user
FrontPorchAg
I haven't been yet but I've skied Grand Monet and Vallee Blanche before so I'm guessing the Italian side won't be terribly different.

I was in Austria in October and that has me wishing I was skiing there now. Innsbruck is amazing
FlyFish95
Just finished my last day at Breck. Snowed every day we were here and the conditions were good. The mountain is great, but the crowd is a bit...different. Tons of single 20-30 somethings and it shows. People ski like idiots here with little regard for beginners or children. People completely ignoring the yellow shirts. Saw people drinking beer on the lifts. Had two people people almost run into me from behind and yell at me like it was my fault. Saw a guy get into a screaming match with a kid running the lift.

I've been skiing for a long time and have never experienced so much ridiculousness on the mountain in one trip.
Texas Ag Mom
MAS444 said:

We're driving to Telluride for the first time in the winter (early March anyway). If anyone here knows, how is 145 if it snows a lot?
Where are you driving from? We have done the drive many times from Dallas.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.