United's New Boarding Procedure

5,166 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
bjh19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Companion pass is the only "status" you can earn with out making one revenue flight that I know of. I still wonder how they have it fairly easily accessible for people to earn.
rebelag62
AG
That's exactly what I'm saying lol. Fly instead of driving when it was only a 6 hour drive. A couple of random round trips. Totally worth it tho
Jock 07
AG
I think you can qualify for status via cc spend if you still have the legacy continental club card. Doesn't work with the United club card though.
OldArmy07
AG
schmendeler
AG
YouBet said:

62strat said:

rebelag62 said:

That's how it should be done.
seems I remember myth busters did an analysis of boarding types and first come first serve (southwest) ended up being the most efficient.
I seem to recall some other boarding methodology that is seen as the most efficient but it wasn't practical to implement. I can't remember the specifics. And I think southwest was next best alternative after that one.
I believe the fastest was to have the window seat people board first, and have the rows staggered so like every other row starting from the back loads. fill the remaining rows in, then same procedure for middle seat, then aisle seat.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Jock 07 said:

I think you can qualify for status via cc spend if you still have the legacy continental club card. Doesn't work with the United club card though.
This. We have the old presidential plus card that United absolutely hates. It throws off enough for status every year.
txags92
AG
We have a United card, but I hate to fly united these days. It does give me a special thrill when I make United give me points for flights I buy on SWA using the United card.
62strat
AG
schmendeler said:

YouBet said:

62strat said:

rebelag62 said:

That's how it should be done.
seems I remember myth busters did an analysis of boarding types and first come first serve (southwest) ended up being the most efficient.
I seem to recall some other boarding methodology that is seen as the most efficient but it wasn't practical to implement. I can't remember the specifics. And I think southwest was next best alternative after that one.
I believe the fastest was to have the window seat people board first, and have the rows staggered so like every other row starting from the back loads. fill the remaining rows in, then same procedure for middle seat, then aisle seat.
No, that was slower than first come first serve

https://mythresults.com/airplane-boarding
Joan Wilder
AG
Southwest's process works because they don't charge for bags, eliminating the thunder dome crush to board to claim the limited overhead space. You also line up in order and in boarding groups so there's no standing in line for 30min, holding your spot (and your chance at overhead space) before you board.

The "choose your own seats" step is only one of many that make it work more quickly for SWA.
62strat
AG
Clarke95 said:

Southwest's process works because they don't charge for bags, eliminating the thunder dome crush to board to claim the limited overhead space.
If the free checked bag was key to the success of the boarding procedure, then myth busters would have had different results. Loads of people on SW are taking weekend trips, and generally a weekend trip means a carry on, not a checked bag. Free checked bag or not, I'm carrying on for a 2 day trip, as are many others.

MB did a legit faux boarding using all of the styles with a real plane and real people and real flight attendants. First come first served was the most efficient and they didn't incorporate free vs. paid checked bags. It has nothing to do with free bags.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They should charge for carryon and let checked bags ride free. The business traveler who is more efficient than Joe Vacation will pay the fee and expense it, while Joe Vacation checks his bag and loudly talks with his cell about how he headed to the Windy City this weekend and he sure is glad he had his neck pillow and eye mask for the 2 hour flight.

I was concierge key with AA for 3 years and EP for 3 now. I board early to get my bag on and won't fly SW because I can't pick my seat. If I am in first I will wait until the last minute because AA will make room for your bag in first.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Heck, if they awarded points for checking luggage, the frequent business travelers would be checking three pieces.
Matsui
AG
Totally agree. Start charging for any bag that doesn't fit under the seat. That would speed it up.
62strat
AG
Kee said:

won't fly SW because I can't pick my seat.
Yeh you can, so long as no one else picked it first.. Just like any other airline.
62strat
AG
Why hasn't someone designed a plane where the OH bin is gone, and seats are raised up a bit with a cavity underneath them so everyone has their own little sliding door to drop a bag into it?
superunknown
AG
I've seen a surprising amount of grocery bags and boxes that are more duct tape than cardboard pass for "luggage" on Southwest so I'm not sure checking bags makes a difference there.
JSKolache
AG
Almost as bad as skinny short people in the exit rows.

/fatty
Joan Wilder
AG
I travel for business every week and can't risk my bag getting lost, or waste the time in baggage claim waiting for a checked bag.
The Lost
Matsui said:

Totally agree. Start charging for any bag that doesn't fit under the seat. That would speed it up.
Yeah, its one of the better parts of flying frontier actually. They never run out of ohb space since they charge. Now the rest of their process is inefficient so for them it cancels out, but it'd save time for the majors. Its the best part of flying frontier, I can be the last person on the plane and not care. It's usually my goal, but people manage to dick around even more and im usually last 5.
The Lost
62strat said:

Why hasn't someone designed a plane where the OH bin is gone, and seats are raised up a bit with a cavity underneath them so everyone has their own little sliding door to drop a bag into it?
people bending down to put them in/pull out would take forever and take up more space bending over. this would be slow as hell, or take up too much space. People also suck at stairs. I assume getting up to go to the bathroom would become a liability too. Airlines don't need drunk joe missing a step and crashing into the next row knocking some teeth out.
62strat
AG
The Lost said:

62strat said:

people bending down to put them in/pull out would take forever and take up more space bending over. this would be slow as hell, or take up too much space. People also suck at stairs. I assume getting up to go to the bathroom would become a liability too. Airlines don't need drunk joe missing a step and crashing into the next row knocking some teeth out.
Stairs? Not sure you're following me.

Just imagine a plane as it is now, but a little sliding trap door under the seat in front of you that reveals a little compartment the size of their carry on restriction.

Bending over to put that in would be no slower than these kind of people, advantage is everyone would have their own dedicated space.

75AG
AG
That would put really fat people's butts in the faces of the rest of us!
The Lost
62strat said:

The Lost said:

62strat said:

Just imagine a plane as it is now, but a little sliding trap door under the seat in front of you that reveals a little compartment the size of their carry on restriction.

Bending over to put that in would be no slower than these kind of people, advantage is everyone would have their own dedicated space.

Which would still be impractical for the airline considering they would lose cargo space under the place... which is used for many things other than just passenger luggage.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/air-freight1.htm
62strat
AG
The Lost said:

62strat said:

The Lost said:

62strat said:

Which would still be impractical for the airline considering they would lose cargo space under the place... which is used for many things other than just passenger luggage.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/air-freight1.htm
Well I mentioned in my first post 'raise the seats, lose the overhead bin.' but you took that as leave the floor where it is, raise the seats and have stairs to the seats..

What I mean is have the entire cross section of current floor/seating raised up 12" or whatever, to have a 12" cavity below seats.. so the belly of plane isn't effected. The space you are stealing from is the space above your head in the seats/aisle. (hence the necessity to remove OH bins)
HollywoodBQ
AG
As a concept, your idea isn't bad. But in reality, an airplane is a cylindrical pressure vessel. So, if you raise the seats 12" or so, you have to give up something as you move people's heads closer to the top of the circle cross-section. Maybe only really short people could sit by the window since raising the seats 12" would affect headroom in a window seat the most.

YouBet
AG
If we could just get flying cars going we could all avoid one another and fly in comfort of our own vehicle.
62strat
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

As a concept, your idea isn't bad. But in reality, an airplane is a cylindrical pressure vessel. So, if you raise the seats 12" or so, you have to give up something as you move people's heads closer to the top of the circle cross-section. Maybe only really short people could sit by the window since raising the seats 12" would affect headroom in a window seat the most.

I would think the removal of OH bin would be enough headroom for window and middle seats, but who knows.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.