Manhattan hotel recommendations

1,558 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
BmtAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to take the family to NY in late June. Overwhelmed with the hotel options. Would like to be in midtown but not in Times Square. One I came across is The Palace which is located across from St Patrick cathedral. There are 4 of us in our family.
thisguy05
AG
I've had good luck on Priceline in midtown. I recommend if you don't have specific brand loyalty.
Cardiag
AG
2nd the Priceline move. If you have no brand loyalty the Priceline and Hotwire are good options. All hotel rooms in NYC are pretty meh anyway. Also if you look in Murray Hill and Grand Central Area you can get usually save some money over the Midtown/Times Square rates.
kwammer
take a look at Sheraton New York Times Square.. It's at 53rd, so far enough away from Times Square that you can avoid the area but still centrally located and close to the park.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Stayed at Park Central in Ocober. It's on 7th Ave across from Carnegie Hall. Only a block and a half to the park and a quick walk down to Times Square. Rooms seemed to be a good size for NYC rooms. Also a nice bar in the lobby with lots of room to sit and relax.
Always_Right
AG
We always stay at The Essex House, it's pricey but you can't beat the location.
BmtAg96
AG
What hotel did you get with your Priceline bid? How much did you bid?
Smokin Chisel
AG
Just made a reservation for March at a brand new Embassy Suites in midtown that just opened in January. Will be able to give a review in a few weeks.
mccjames
AG
I will second Essex house, good rates, good rooms, excellent location.
ATM9000
AG
BmtAg96 said:

Looking to take the family to NY in late June. Overwhelmed with the hotel options. Would like to be in midtown but not in Times Square. One I came across is The Palace which is located across from St Patrick cathedral. There are 4 of us in our family.

You're good on Midtown after between a day to a day and a half. Stay near Grand Central. The 4,5,6 and 7 run through GCT subway stop and that gets you basically everywhere you'll want to go in the city in walking distance. Plus it is a rly good location to all of the places you'll want to see in Midtown and I'm pretty sure it is cheaper than around Times Square and the Park.
Grindhouse
AG
Also try Hotwire. I have used it many times in NYC and have always been very happy with the hotel. Just pick 4 stars or better in the area you want and you will be good.
bam02
AG
SbisaVictim95 said:

Stayed at Park Central in Ocober. It's on 7th Ave across from Carnegie Hall. Only a block and a half to the park and a quick walk down to Times Square. Rooms seemed to be a good size for NYC rooms. Also a nice bar in the lobby with lots of room to sit and relax.

This is my recommendation, too.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Westin Grand Central is my go to
aTm2004
AG
I've stayed at The Belvedere a couple of times and thought it was a good hotel. It's a couple blocks west of Times Square and 1 block to Hells Kitchen and a train stop.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Marvin_Zindler
AG
We liked the Doubetree Hilton Metropolitan. 51st and Lexington.
ChipFTAC01
AG
aTm2004 said:

I've stayed at The Belvedere a couple of times and thought it was a good hotel. It's a couple blocks west of Times Square and 1 block to Hells Kitchen and a train stop.

That's funny, when I read the thread title, my initial thought was, "Don't stay at the Belvedere!"

When I was about 23, a young, fresh faced pup, trying to make my way in the business world, by boss decided at the relative last minute that I needed to go to a trade show/convention in NYC. It's a relatively big show and the first weekend in December, so hotel rooms are pricey plus I was booking only a week or two out. After booking a room for something like $500/night, I was talking to a friend in our NYC office and mentioned where I was staying.

"Oh, ChipFTAC01, you don't want to stay there. It's a ****hole."

"How can it be a ****hole? It's $500/night?!"

I'll mention that I grew up in a La Quinta family.

So, I land in La Guardia, cab into the city, pass through the bright lights of Time Square and pull up to the Belvedere. I'm greeted at the curb by a doorman in crisp livery. The flags are flying from the facade. Everything in the lobby is marble and brass. Obviously my coworker is an idiot, This is by far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in.

Then I get o the room. In addition to it being the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in, even by Manhattan standards, it was just dirty and gross. Seriously, probably 90% of the La Quintas and Holiday Inns that I've stayed in were nicer than the Belvedere.

We normally stay at one of the W's or Westins. Haven't been to NEw York since the Mariott/Starwood acquisition.
aTm2004
AG
We've stayed there twice and thought it was decent. It's not a W or Westin by any means, so if that's what you're expecting or wanting, then don't go here. Once, our room was a standard sized room that you'd find at any hotel, but we did think our last one was a bit small. But my wife and I are the types that are out the door by 8 am and maybe come back to the hotel that afternoon to get ready to go to dinner that night, so we can't justify spending a lot on a hotel we won't be spending much time awake in (made that mistake our first trip to Chicago). If you're the type that would be spending a lot of time in the hotel, then maybe somewhere else would be better. But if you're just looking for a place to sleep and shower, then it should fit the bill.

ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
BmtAg96
AG
Anyone familiar with the NY Palace?
JT88
AG
Hotel Beacon and Empire are our favorite for access to the Met, Central Park, and the One Train.

If you or your kid are visiting Columbia, then book through their travel portal for oftentimes significant savings.

Travel Portal link Columbia University
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
SA68AG
AG
Hotel Elysee
cheeky
AG
BmtAg96 said:

Anyone familiar with the NY Palace?
Stayed there many times. Nicer than the other hotels I've seen mentioned, especially in the Tower rooms. Sheraton is a great value and is right on the subway line. Essex is house is okay given it's location on South Central Park. I stayed there last February and had a rear-facing room with scoffolding everywhere. Not sure if that work is completed or not if that matters to you.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
In October, we got a seriously under-market rate at the Trump SoHo. I think because the Trump name on the property. Excellent facility, great location, and 27th floor roomed sweeping view of the Hudson River.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.