Condos in Grand Caymans

3,428 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reveille23
bump03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for recommendations for nice condos in the Grand Caymans for 2 adults and 2 kids (7,8).

Stayed last year at the Regal Beach Condos next to the Marriot on 7MB, but looking for other options.

Open to any and all suggestions.

We liked being next to the Marriot b/c we could use their restaurants, bars, and rental info. Being next to one of the bigger hotels is a bonus, but not a must.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Morritts on the East side.
JJWAGGIE
AG
I clicked on this to reccomend Regal Beach Club so not much help... we always get a first floor unit and love the location in general.
Texas Ag Mom
We stayed at the Aqua Bay Club a few years ago. Ocean front. Loved it. We ere there for a week over Memorial Day. Many days we had the pool area to ourselves & there may have been 4 other couples/families on our beach at the most.
kcisright
We've stayed at The Beachcomber and The Renaissance. Both condos were very nice.
Snipes
AG
I stayed at London House condos up on north end of seven mile beach close to west Bay Area.

Much prefer that to being close to Georgetown when million cruise shippers pillage the town.
aduey06
Any other tips recommendations for cayman islands. We are headed there for spring break.
Snipes
AG
Get a car and eat outside of hotels as much as possible.

Lots of good food on the island and my favorite is cracked conch because restaurant is on the water and can dive and snorkel at the restaurant.

Look up the cruise ship schedule and plan activities around when multiple ships will be in port.

Cayman University divers are good outfit to go with for boat snorkel or dive trips.

Karaoke at Fidel Murphys on Saturday night is a hoot.

Georgetown is mostly a tourist trap.

aeroag14
AG
We have stayed at the Christopher Columbus a few times and like it. It is a little further north up 7 mile beach, but cheaper and the beach is less quite.

Plantana is nice as well, just more expensive.
aduey06
Thanks. We don't do any divng but have booked a snorkeling trip.

I have already looked at the cruise schedule and trying to plan our excursions when only 1 ship is in port and not 4.

I am debating on whether or not to get a car. I don't know if I am keen on driving on the left side and wife says she just wants to relax on the beach the whole time.

We are staying on the northern side of seven mile beach and looked up the cracked conch restaurant. Any other recommendations on places to eat.
aeroag14
AG
There is a lot of stuff along 7 mile beach, but most of it is closer to Georgetown than the north side of 7 mile beach.

Coconut Joes
Eats
Casanovas (good Italian in Georgetown)
Deckers (a little pricier)
Lone Star
Chicken Chicken (for lunch)
Calico Jacks for a fun beach bar
etc etc

Honestly, driving on the left side isn't that bad. We usually rent a car and then only use it for driving too/from the airport and driving to dinner. If you are staying on the north side of 7 mile and planning on leaving your condo for lunch and dinner, your only options would be a taxi or just rental car.
Texas Ag Mom
In the last couple days we have decided to go to Cayman again. We also stay on North SMB & we rented a car last time we were there & we will again. Avoid GT during ship arrival/departure. We went to Sting Ray City w/ Captin Marvins on a late afternoon trip. I think it might have been a ship day but they were already headed back to the boat. There were about 20 people on our boat & we were the only boat at SRC. Very cool to be the only people there. The car can get you to/from the airport, explore other parts of the island including Rum Point. RP is kinda touristy but a good outing w/ beautiful water & avoid cruisers which are usually headed back to the ship about 4 pm. Also another restaurant that we liked is further north...I think the name is Alfrescos. Tiny little place w/a patio on the water so you can eat outside.
LHIOB
AG
Bump

Going for a wedding in June

Any other recs?
bmc13
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Morritts on the East side.

love morritts
aeroag14
AG
In a few weeks we will be back in Cayman and we are staying at Casa Caribe. So I can give an update on that when we return. So far it looks as though the big upgrade over Christopher Columbus (where we have stayed a few times in the past) will be the location as it is right in the middle of things on SMB.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone stayed at the Westin on 7mb? Looking at maybe a quick trip next month.
Texas Ag Mom
ChipFTAC01 said:

Anyone stayed at the Westin on 7mb? Looking at maybe a quick trip next month.
Westin has recently been renovated & rates have skyrocketed. We were just there & stayed at Discovery Point. All of their units have been renovated if you book directly thru them. We booked thru Cayman Villas & our unit was not great. Previously we stayed at Aqua Bay. Both on north SMB. Ocean front & complex is not crowded. Multiple good restaurants up in that area on the west side.
bucky91
AG
Going caymen tomorrow and staying Westin. Best breakfast places close by? Best seafood?
reveille23
huge bump, but did a search before starting a new thread.

bmc13, what all is there to do on the East side? We are staying at Morritts in June and trying to get things planned out. Wanted to stay away from the cruise ship craziness so this looked like a great place, can't wait!
DannyDuberstein
AG
We stayed here last year. It is further up 7MB from the resorts in a mostly private house area. The Rangers owner (Bob Simpson) has a place a couple of houses down.

http://www.mygrandcaymanvacation.com/the-villas

As far as a car goes, if near the resort area, I'd probably forego the car and just use the island bus/van system. But if you go up toward the north end to where we were (more private), you'd definitely want a car. I was good with driving on the left side, but found that the constant roundabouts were what complicated things for someone unfamiliar with the are (almost no traffic lights on the island outside of the area by where the cruise ships port). The nice thing you learn about red lights is they give you a moment to get your bearings. Not so when it's roundabout after roundabout after roundabout.

Thankfully, my wife is a pretty good navigator and was good at shouting out "2 o clock", "9 o clock", etc. to help me figure out which exit from the roundabout to take. But that first drive from the airport to the condo was a bit harrowing and included a few wrong turns.
reveille23
Good info!

I will have to liquor up the wife before heading out to the resort, so she doesn't freak out going around those roundabouts on the wrong side of the road.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.