Colorado Anniversary trip

1,871 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tbone94
AgGal2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgGal2010
AG
The husband and I are looking to go to Colorado maybe February/March of next year for our 5 year anniversary trip. We would like to ski for a day or two but also sight see. Thinking about going for 4/5 Days and looking at flying into Denver because it is so much cheaper. Any recommendations on where to stay or what to do is appreciated. The only place we've been in the mountain is Jackson Hole which we absolutely loved! We considered going back there but wanted to see if we could find something with a similar feel. Thanks!
drumboy
AG
Denver is definitely the cheapest place to fly to but you'll drive 2+ hours to get to the mountains.

There's the snow train that goes from downtown Denver to Winter Park (only in the winter) and I've thought it would be cool to take. You can get from the airport to downtown via another train so you could stay one night in Denver and not have to rent a car at all.
aeroag14
AG
Hmm, if you are planning on flying into Denver, I would probably recommend driving up to Summit County somewhere. Stay in Breckenridge or Frisco or Silverthorne. Frisco and Silverthorne are only roughly an hour and 15 minutes from Denver (as long as you don't hit too much traffic).

From there you will be able to Ski Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, and even Vail and Beaver Creek if you are up for a bit of a drive.

Site seeing wise, you can easily make it down into Denver, spend a day in downtwon Breckenridge, do a spa day over in Vail, drive up to Loveland Pass and see the continental divide, etc.

All of that said, I am more of a fan of Southern Colorado if you are looking for more sight seeing stuff to do. Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, etc are just stunning and I think may have more to offer in terms of sight seeing. You probably have to fly into Durango, which I am sure would be a decent bit pricier, but if that is less of a concern, then it is something that may be worth considering. Just my opinion though.
AgGal2010
AG
We are definitely flexible about where to fly into... just know from research Denver is pretty cheap. We are hoping to not have to rent a car and drive just because we don't want to have to deal with rough road conditions depending on weather. It would be awesome if we could use some kind of transportation like a shuttle to get from airport to where we're staying then be able to walk or uber/public transport to sight see
drumboy
AG
AgGal2010 said:

We are definitely flexible about where to fly into... just know from research Denver is pretty cheap. We are hoping to not have to rent a car and drive just because we don't want to have to deal with rough road conditions depending on weather. It would be awesome if we could use some kind of transportation like a shuttle to get from airport to where we're staying then be able to walk or uber/public transport to sight see
There are definitely shuttles that go to the airport. I took Go Alpine from Steamboat to DIA last January and it was right under $100 one way. Halfway in I realized I had the rental car keys that my buddies would need the next day to drive back to Denver and the driver took them back and met up with them.

That's $400 in shuttle so I'd look into that Snow Train to Winter Park....

Also if going to Southern CO it might be better to fly to ABQ.
ColoradoMooseHerd
drumboy said:

AgGal2010 said:

There are definitely shuttles that go to the airport. I took Go Alpine from Steamboat to DIA last January and it was right under $100 one way. Halfway in I realized I had the rental car keys that my buddies would need the next day to drive back to Denver and the driver took them back and met up with them.

If you are going to think about taking the ski train remember that it has set schedules that sell out on popular weekend, so plan ahead and make sure the schedule fits with your travel plans. Also You will have to get your group to Denver to take the train, Airport is quite a ways away, so most of your savings is going to be lost getting to Denver and back to airport.

If you want to spend time in Denver without a car and the train fits your schedule look at it.

But the Ski Train is usually used by locals downtown, not out of towners unless you just really like the train. I would look at the airport shuttles with what you are saying you want to do.
drumboy
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

drumboy said:

AgGal2010 said:

If you are going to think about taking the ski train remember that it has set schedules that sell out on popular weekend, so plan ahead and make sure the schedule fits with your travel plans. Also You will have to get your group to Denver to take the train, Airport is quite a ways away, so most of your savings is going to be lost getting to Denver and back to airport.

If you want to spend time in Denver without a car and the train fits your schedule look at it.

But the Ski Train is usually used by locals downtown, not out of towners unless you just really like the train. I would look at the airport shuttles with what you are saying you want to do.
The airport rail from DIA to Denver Union Station is $9 each way and that's the same station that the Ski Train departs from.

The Ski Train is $108 RT on my test trip of 2/24-2/26 so for less than $130 per person you'd have RT trains from the airport to Denver to Winter Park to Denver and back to the airport. You can enjoy some of Colorado's finest and also Colorado's great beer and not have to worry about driving.
NoahAg
Do you like small town shops and stuff? Breckenridge is nice, fun, walkable. Nice restaurants, cool shops, or course skiing.
ColoradoMooseHerd
drumboy said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

drumboy said:

AgGal2010 said:

The airport rail from DIA to Denver Union Station is $9 each way and that's the same station that the Ski Train departs from.

The Ski Train is $108 RT on my test trip of 2/24-2/26 so for less than $130 per person you'd have RT trains from the airport to Denver to Winter Park to Denver and back to the airport. You can enjoy some of Colorado's finest and also Colorado's great beer and not have to worry about driving.
I doubt that you are going to find a flight that lands early enough in the morning so that you can catch the train from the airport and still get on the train to WinterPark. That is going to require another night stay in Denver on the trip probably on both ends.

Remember only time the train goes up to the mountains is 7:00 am and the only return train is 4:30 pm. So if you are going to WinterPark and those times fit your schedule, then you might like it. But WinterPark is not the place I would go when visiting, but that is my preference

Most people want to go directly to the dstination and a mountain shuttle will take you right afte you land to the resort to start the mountain ski vacation. You will not have to spend the night in Denver and then catch the train going up if you take the shuttle. Also when heading home and you can get the shuttle to take you early or take you later.

That is usually why only locals near downtown take the train because of the times offered, unless that has changed.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Not trying to be down on the skitrain, but there is a reason that it has gone out of business several times recently and now amtrak is giving it a go. Just trying to be realistic for people planning coming from out of state
62strat
AG
Op, not sure how set you are on dates, but I have a condo available in Breck in mid Jan. I just reduced the price significantly.
tbone94
AG
Please contact me ASAP about your condo. Tim at aggielandgreen dot com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.