Honeymoon in Italy - 10 Days

2,685 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ogre09
aggiebonzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like some input from this board on their favorite places to travel in Italy. This will both be our first times in Italy and we were both pretty adventurous but would also like some relaxation on the trip.

My fiance really only wants to visit 3-4 different parts so we don't feel rushed. What would you're top 3 or 4 must see destinations be?
Random Ag
AG
I think 3 or 4 might still feel rushed:
I would do Rome + Amalfi Coast for a honeymoon, you could stay in two locations along the coast (ie Capri and Positano)
If you really wanted to add in a 3rd location I would select either Florence, Venice or a hill town (Orvieto, Sienna, etc) depending on if you want to do activity-wise
aggiebonzo
AG
Rome, Amalfi Coast, and Venice were our favorites just by google search. The logistics seems like it would be a headache though.
aggiedata
AG
Stay in a villa in the country side of Tuscany and take day trips to the hill top towns. Beautiful & relaxing. Go on a side trip to Florence for a bigger town experience.

Each hilltop town is unique and I really enjoyed exploring them. (Sienna, Montepulciano, Pienza, and more)
BSD
AG
aggiedata said:

Stay in a villa in the country side of Tuscany and take day trips to the hill top towns. Beautiful & relaxing. Go on a side trip to Florence for a bigger town experience.

Each hilltop town is unique and I really enjoyed exploring them. (Sienna, Montepulciano, Pienza, and more)

We did this. We actually rented a farmhouse. It was awesome. A hot air balloon ride over Tuscany is worth the money, too.
aggiedata
AG
IMO you can't enjoy 3 or 4 parts of Italy in 10 days. Pick two if you must. One could take every vacation to Italy and it would be many years experience it all.

Traveling is stressful enough. Enjoy your Honeymoon!
Post removed:
by user
malenurse
AG
RandomAg got it right with the first response.
Lily09
AG
My husband and I did Venice and Rome for our Honeymoon. 3 days in each city. We went through Railbookers. They helped us with finding fantastic hotels for a discount rate and got us on a train to go from Venice to Rome. We booked our flights ourselves and they pretty much took care of the rest.

Our Venice hotel was phenomenal. We were right on St Mark's Square. Our Rome hotel was equally as great. Paid for three nights for the price of one night thanks to RB.

Railbookers has different options that you can pick from.

We wanted a relaxing-ish Honeymoon and that didn't happen. We were busy every day and almost all day. So much to see. We had a trip of a lifetime though. Saw so much.

Amalfi Coast will be our next trip. It was our second option that didn't quite work out.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Cinque Terre, EOT

12thAngryMan
AG
We just got back from a two week vacation and, in retrospect, we tried to do too much. We saw basically all of the most popular areas except for Cinque Terre (so I can't speak to that), and here is my personal take:

• Lake Como: Only go here if you are looking for relaxation and overpriced shopping. The surroundings are certainly beautiful, but it was a little too slow paced for me. Wish we had done some hiking here instead of boating around to the various towns that had very little to see.
  • Milan: Skippable for a 10-day trip IMO, but definitely a contrast to the rest of Italy. If you fly in to Milan though, it could be worth spending 1-2 days there.
  • Venice: Unique and romantic city with a fascinating history. St. Mark's, Doge's Palace, Canals, nighttime strolls, etc...Highly recommend 2-3 days here.
  • Florence: If you are into art and sculpture, an absolute must see. My wife and I are not art history buffs, but we still thoroughly enjoyed Florence for its history. It also serves as a decent launching point for day trips into Tuscany which I highly recommend. I'd recommend 3+ days here (2 for Florence itself, and 1+ for day trips).
  • Siena: We went here very briefly as part of a Tuscany day trip, but I wish we had spent longer because it seemed unique and interesting. That being said, your time is probably better spent elsewhere for a 10-day trip.
  • Rome: If you haven't already been, Rome can't be missed. It has something for everyone--art, history, religion/culture, food, etc. Very easy to fill up 3 days here and could do more. If you do go, I highly recommend the Testaccio Supper Stroll (I found out about it on this board actually).
  • Amalfi Coast: If you go here, you have to commit at least 3 days to it IMO. It is a major PITA to get there and can be a major PITA to move along it. However, it is beautiful and the Path of the Gods hike was one of my favorite things we did all trip.

Happy to answer specific/detailed questions if you have any. I think it largely depends on what types of activities you and your SO enjoy, and how "honeymooney" you want the trip to be.
Here4Beer
AG
Florence (food, history, Tuscany). My personal favorite.
Sorrento (Almafi coast and you can hit Pompeii on the way there)
Rome (one of the greatest cities in the world for the last 2000 plus years. No further explanation needed)
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Really liked Rome the couple times we have been there, plenty to do with lots of variety.

Florence was very nice, not an art fan but Mrs. Shoe is and she was very taken with it.

Venice, just can't describe the history and scene, must visit.

Amalfi Coast (Positano) was spectacular for scenery and food. Climbed up Vesuvius, fantastic, wanted to spend more time in Pompei.

Not huge wine fans so didn't do Tuscany.

Venice to Rome to Amalfi in 10 days is a lot to get a lot in but doable. I would do Rome and Amalfi and put Venice/Florence on a return trip later if you really want to relax and see everything.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Our honeymoon was 20 days in 2012. 10 days in Greek Islands and 10 in Italy.

We did the Amalfi Coast, Rome, and Venice and didn't feel rushed while we were there but we wanted to go back and spend more time in each city in hindsight.
aggiebonzo
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions!

After some preliminary planning this is my idea:

1st stop: Amalfi Coast - 5/6 Days

2nd Stop: Rome - 3/4 Days

3rd Stop: Venice 2 Days

Could someone help me with the logistics of staying in Capri? Plan was to spend a couple days in Capri then finish Amalfi Coast in Sorrento.

My plan right now is to fly into Naples, rent a car and drive to the Amalfi Coast. Next i'm guessing I would need to take a ferry to Capri. Would we be able to ferry over the car to Capri and is the ferry something i need to book ahead of our trip or just pay when we arrive?

From there we would drive back to Naples and take the high speed train from Naples to Rome and then after our stay in Rome take the high speed train to Venice. Fly from Venice back to the states.

If anyone has any better recommendations please let me know as I am trying to book the travel next month!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We stayed in Positano. Honestly, I wouldn't stay in Capris. We took a boat ride over there around the island and went swimming through the Green Grotto. We also took the ferry and walked around the shopping area, just didn't do it for us. Nice, but would have preferred to spend a lot more time in Pompeii instead as a trade off.

I don't remember seeing a ferry that took cars over but I really wasn't looking for it either.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
We stayed in Positano as well and took the small boat to Capri for one day with about 20 people on it. That was enough time for Capri.

All those Amalfi Coast towns are so close together just take the ferry from one to the others and don't waste time switching hotels.
Zosima
My wife and I spent most of our 10 days in Rome and with 2 day trips.

I have posted this before but if you are both Catholic and getting married in a Catholic church, you can have an opportunity to meet the pope.

Google sposi novelli. Something unique that most people don't know about. A photographer will take pictures while he is talking to you and giving his blessing. By far the highlight of our honeymoon.
752bro4
AG
I would not recommend driving in Amalfi. Get a driver to your hotel, or see if there is a private water taxi. YouTube it, you'll see why.

We stayed in Praino (midway between Positano and Amalfi) at Hotel Onda Verde. Fantastic hotel, reasonably priced, and a great food.

We took water taxis between all the towns, and a day trip to Carpi. 8 hours is enough time there. Highly suggest taking the open top bus to Ravello and about 1 - 1.5 days each in Positano and Amalfi.
752bro4
AG
Also fly in or out of Rome - likely to be more flight availability, and possibly direct to DFW/IAH (assuming that's where you're coming from)
Post removed:
by user
claym711
AG
Driving the Amalfi coast is an amazing experience.
Ogre09
AG
I love Sienna

Venice is romantic and unique

I enjoyed all the historical ruins and the Vatican in Rome, but it was too crowded and busy to me. Not my favorite.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.