Disneyland or Disneyworld

1,926 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cas8019
cas8019
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
going to book one or the other this week for 11/16 thru 11/21. I know i know we should have booked earlier.

Kids are 9 & 5.

Been to Disneyworld 2 years ago.

opinions on which to book? pros/cons?

i say Land, wife says World. Costs seem similar.

TIA
Matsui
AG
Cali is much smaller in size. 3 parks basically at same entrance. Maybe try Cali this time around. Stay at the brand new Residence Inn across the street. Very nice spot.
helloag99
I personally am a much bigger fan of Land. We have been to World close to 10 times. Have been to Land twice and going back in early December mainly because I have a conference out there and the wife and kids are going to join me for the weekend.

My main reasoning is the crowds at Land seem way less than World. I have been to World more than once around thanksgiving and it is SUPER crowded. Plus I really like California adventure.

We used to enjoy going to World during the depths of the recession around 2008 and a few years after but the crowds are unbearable since the economy has improved. There is a ton of stuff to do at World and if you were going for a week that may be a consideration, but for a weekend trip I would choose Land.

My kids are 10, 8, and 5 and in general they like Land better as well. Also, my two oldest are girls and they are grown out of the princess thing. If your kids like princesses they will likely prefer World. My 5yo son loves the cars stuff at Land.
Smokin Chisel
AG
We like both for different reasons. If you want to spend more days at parks and do character meals and character meet/greet autographs, etc I would recommend world. If you have fewer days to spend and are not interested in the items listed above I would say Land. I can second that recommendation for the residence inn across the street from Disneyland in Anaheim. I think it is called the residence inn convention center anaheim.
fishoutawater
We've done both multiple times. The important thing to remember is that the kids will love either choice, so you might be a little selfish and pick whatever the grownups in the family might like. California Adventure has a nice adult vibe. However, Epcot will have the food and wine festival while you are there. California Adventure was emphasizing the Marvel franchises when we were there this summer if your kids are into that. Bottom line for us is that we enjoy the immersive experience and variety of Disney World. Disneyland is hemmed in by the real world of Katella Avenue and Harbor Blvd in Anaheim.
lil99chris
AG
I prefer WDW. I like arriving in Orlando and not having to worry about car rental/getting to the resort due to the Disney's Magical Express.

I also like the amount of dining options available at WDW than Disneyland. Since you are booking "late", you should be able to obtain the reservations for the restaurants you prefer closer to the date.

If you head to WDW, be sure to get tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We have gone a few times and really enjoy the evening.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party/

Quote:

However, Epcot will have the food and wine festival while you are there.

Epcot Food and Wine Festival ends on 11/13.

helloag99
By chance, does your wife specialize in WDW travel planning?
lil99chris
AG
nimrodag99 said:

By chance, does your wife specialize in WDW travel planning?

Haha......no. My wife is a veterinarian.
TXTransplant
We are headed to DL for three days in a few weeks. This will be our first visit, but we've been to WDW 4 times.

I booked through a friend of mine who specializes in Disney vacations. She offered me the option to take a motor coach to/from the airport and the DL-area hotels, it's just not "free" like the WDW Magical Express. It's $50 for adults and free for kids (not sure if that's one-way or round trip). We are just going to Uber it, though.
kwammer
World by a mile. It's just so much more an immersive experience..
longeryak
fishoutawater said:

We've done both multiple times. The important thing to remember is that the kids will love either choice, so you might be a little selfish and pick whatever the grownups in the family might like. California Adventure has a nice adult vibe. However, Epcot will have the food and wine festival while you are there. California Adventure was emphasizing the Marvel franchises when we were there this summer if your kids are into that. Bottom line for us is that we enjoy the immersive experience and variety of Disney World. Disneyland is hemmed in by the real world of Katella Avenue and Harbor Blvd in Anaheim.
Have they changed F&W always ending Veterans' Weekend?

OP any chance your dates are flexible? 12/2-12/16 are some of the lightest crowds of the year. WDW will be packed starting on the 18th so I'd lean towards DL. If headed to WDW you need to book now and be ready to book your fast passes when the 60 day window opens this week.
Always_Right
AG
Went to Disneyland before the UCLA game, very underwhelming.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
fishoutawater
lil99chris said:

I prefer WDW. I like arriving in Orlando and not having to worry about car rental/getting to the resort due to the Disney's Magical Express.

I also like the amount of dining options available at WDW than Disneyland. Since you are booking "late", you should be able to obtain the reservations for the restaurants you prefer closer to the date.

If you head to WDW, be sure to get tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We have gone a few times and really enjoy the evening.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party/

Quote:

However, Epcot will have the food and wine festival while you are there.

Epcot Food and Wine Festival ends on 11/13.

My bad. We are hitting the tail end of the festival the previous weekend. In that case another vote for the Very Merry Christmas Party. Take advantage of any special events going on while you are there.
bufrilla
AG
Just returned from Disneyland, enjoyed. But still favor WDW, which we have had season passes for last 10-12 years (live in Texas)and go 3-4 times a year. The weekend of the 11th will be big crowds at both places. Should be slow for Tuesday thru Saturday (14-18 Nov) and big time for Thanksgiving week.

Best times for WDW is mid - late March (avoid Easter when early), Late April thru May, last 3 weeks of September, and three weeks after Thanksgiving. January use to be great, but South America empties into Orlando in Jan/Feb.

Been to Disneyland probably once every decades starting in the 60's. I am not a fan of California, especially Southern part. Now Monterey I liked, was there attending the NPG School and then the Commander's Course
(also only place the wife likes).

The wife said that she'd go to Disneyland, since the YOUNG ONES HAVE NOT BEEN. Cars land and Frozen she really enjoyed, plus Fantasmic was better than at WDW.

So from a "rat chaser" you can't go wrong. Give the kids a look at the other park.
longeryak
bufrilla said:

Best times for WDW is mid - late March (avoid Easter when early), Late April thru May, last 3 weeks of September, and three weeks after Thanksgiving. January use to be great, but South America empties into Orlando in Jan/Feb.
NO. Last week of Feb and first week of March? Yes. Spring Breaks are different all over the country. Mid-March to a week after Easter is peak season with Easter week second only to Xmas thru New Years for the busiest week of the year. The rest I agree with. With the economic issues in SA Jan isn't as bad presently. SA schools have two 6 week breaks instead of a 2.5 month summer break and 2 weeks at xmas. Their winter break is the last ~10 days of Dec. until the end of Jan.
bufrilla
AG
Been to WDW in Mid March for years, Flower Festival and has never been crowded.
Last trip in Feb was crowded, and yes I was shocked, but it was Marathon time, which brings in thousands. It is run every year, latter part Feb. Early Easter can knock out last week of March. Easter week is crazy
BClark
AG
If you are booking this late I would do Land. They don't do advanced fast passes there like World so you'll be on equal footing with everyone else.
cas8019
AG
thanks all for the advice. We booked DL for 11/16-11/21. planning for a couple of "off" days now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.