Singapore/Shanghai//Tokyo

1,562 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Esteban du Plantier
Bob_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in these cities for various amounts of time for business over the next three weeks. Any recs? I'll have the most free time in Singapore and Tokyo. Never been to Asia, so any particular things I should keep in mind or bring?
Kool
AG
For China, bring patience and toilet paper. I'm sitting in the Beijing airport right now waiting to see if I'm going to Shanghai or just getting Shanghai'ed. Near riot because people have been waiting for two days to fly out to a smaller city and Air China won't give them any info. Police called down to calm them. God bless the USA
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kool
AG
If it isn't too cloudy, take a river cruise at night while in Shanghai. The city lights are amazing at night here. Off to cruise the Yangtze for a few days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HollywoodBQ
AG
So, I've been a regular in all of these cities.

Singapore at least 5x
If you can stay at the Marina Bay Sands, I highly recommend it. You're never going to find anything as incredible as the view from the pool.

I'd also hit up the Super Trees and maybe even the Singapore Flyer.

Also, I had a great time partying with a French colleague at the New Asia bar at the Swissotel on the 70th floor.

Here's a view of the pool at MBS.

Shanghai 2x
I recommend the Pearl TV Tower and going up to the top. Well worth it.
Also, walking along the Bund is cool.
And there is a ride of some sort that you can take to cross under the river that was reasonably cheap and tons of fun.
At the mall across from the Pearl TV Tower is where I bought my awesome G-Shock watch that I'm still wearing 4 years later.
When I went there, I stayed near Fudan University. There are plenty of good places to eat around there.

Also, if you get the chance, I strongly recommend taking the 300 km/h Maglev train. It's super cheap and super awesome.

Tokyo about 7x
Just take any of the trains in Tokyo and you'll be impressed. They've got about four different levels of train ranging from Monorail to local commuter all the way up to the Shinkansen - Bullet Train.

I've spent most of my time in Shinjuku and Akasaka. I've been told that there's some great electronics mart in Akihabra.

Last trip I went to the Tokyo Dome to purchase a Japanese baseball cap. That was well worth the trip.

My guys also took me to eat at the Hooters in Shinjuku which was interesting to say the least.

I strongly recommend trying the following:
Suntory Premium Malts - Beer
Yamazaki 12 Year - Whisky

Japan has so much to see/do it's "too numerous to list". The main tourist/American get drunk area is called Roppongi. If you go there, just be on the lookout for the Nigerian scammers.

Here's a shot of the Nozomi car.
kwammer
chili crab in Singapore down at the East Coast Seafood area.
Kool
AG
Ditto Hollywood's comments about the Pearl Tower plus do a river ferry to see the lights of Shanghai at night. They are better than Vegas. Bring the coolest clothes you can find and a great hat because the heat here puts Houston to shame and A/C only works so well. It hit 104 in Shanghai on Thursday. Ugh!
AlphaBean
AG
This **** was so fun.

http://www.maricar.com

mccjames
AG
Just got back from Tokyo with family.

Super tourist but a blast was robot restaurant.
We like the edo-tokyo museum and the war museum at yasakuni shrine is also very good.
Loved birdland yakitori but you have to get reservations.
If you want to see crazy electronics go to Akihibara.
You also have to go to shinjuku station crossing around six in the evening. It is quite an experience!
Ramen street in tokyo station was also really good.
Go to the opening of a department store, everyone welcomes you as you enter with all of the mangment bowing as you pass. I highly recommend Mitsukoshi, the food market in the bottom 2 floors is incredible!
Go to the fish market, we did a tour but you could do it on your own easy. It will be gone in the next year.
Last would be the bar at Park Hyatt Tokyo, opens at 6:00 but has amazing views.

Esteban du Plantier
AG
If you don't get sushi breakfast in Tsukiji fish market, specifically Sushi Dai, you might as well not even visit Tokyo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.