Universal Studios in Orlando....

1,377 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggmaroon
busdriver88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This winter the family is going to Florida. Last year we did Disney and a Disney Cruise, and had a great time. This year the kids want to do Universal Studios before the cruise.

Need advice on hotels, etc for Universal Studios Orlando. Will have a 17 year old boy and an eleven year old girl.

Thanks.
Mustang1
AG
Stayed at Hard Rock last Dec. Appox 300/night but the express pass made it worth it. Pass is also good for Checkin & checkout day so you could just stay one night & visit park over 2 days.
TXTransplant
We stayed at the Royal Pacific a couple of years ago. I thought it was a very good choice for the price - I think I booked a special that was 30% off rack rates.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I can't speak to the on-property locations but can say the next time we go we'll stay at one of them.

I think 11 and 17 are perfect ages for Universal. My wife and I are in our 40's, no kids, and have a great time. Universal is every bit as good as Disney from a standpoint that they leave no stone unturned.

Universal IMO has more great rides than Disney, which makes it better for kids that are older than 9 or 10.
tamc91
AG
Agree with Adam. If you like exciting rides you'll have a great time. Stay on property and you get in an hour early so you can do the more popular rides. Definitely get the park to park pass, so you can take the Hogwarts Express between them. The HP rides are amazing, but many of the other rides and coasters are good. We stayed at the Cabana Bay which was fairly reasonable, decent food options, and has some nice size suites which is good with 2 teenagers. Food is expensive in the parks, but not Disney expensive. Portofino Bay is nice, a little more expensive but you do get the Express Pass with many of their packages.

You really need 2+ days in parks to do it right. We were able to add an extra day (more than hotel nights) for $25 a person. If it is important to ride the rides together you definitely want to stay at a property that gets you the complementary Express Pass option. If not, you can go in the single rider lines and get on rides almost as fast. My son and I did this since the girls didn't want to ride the big rides and you don't really talk during them. Most of the time we still got to ride together or very close.
90 bull
AG
we stayed on site, and i strongly recommend it. really a fun park. all the Harry Potter stuff is remarkably well done.
tamc91
AG
If you're a Costco member, I just noticed they have a 4 night, 3 day package with the Loews Sapphire on property. I've heard good things about their deals. Probably worth the membership just for those savings.
dcAg
I went a few years ago and stayed at the Westin which is within walking distance. It worked out great.

Met Guillermo from the Kimmel show at the bar there....lol
Cancelled
AG
I really dislike Disney, so we went to Islands of Adventure one day. I thought it was pretty cool.
BQ_00
AG
Went a few weeks ago. They really did an excellent job with the HP areas. My kids didn't want to leave that part of the parks (it is divided between both of them). But, as others have said, plenty of other fun things to do. We also enjoy going to Pat Obriens on the City Walk after the day is over.
aggmaroon
AG
We stayed at the Cabana Bay a couple of years ago. It was a really fun hotel. My daughter enjoyed it. We like Universal. It's a lot of fun, but it is a different experience than Disney. More thrill rides. The Harry Potter area is great. Definitely take a couple of days.

We will always be Disney first, but Universal is great. We would definitely go again for Halloween Horror nights. They do that like no other.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.