Best US Beach...white sands, best water, and ease of travel?

2,300 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TresPuertas
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to take the family (wife, 5 year old, twin 3 year olds) to a beach vacation. We are thinking Orange Beach, but wanted to get advice here first. Any recommendations when considering we are flying from KC, so most likely a stop in Atlanta, DFW, or IAH, and we have 3 younger kids. Looking for:

- Pretty Beach
- Condo with a pool
- Kid activities is a plus, but not as important as the nice beach and a pool
- Ease of travel...ideally we won't need multiple stops and then a long drive to get somewhere.

Any advice?
Dumpster Fire
30A (Seaside, SeaGrove, Rosemary beach, WaterColor, etc...)

EOT
PlanoAg98
AG
Destin (FL) is nice but you could book a Caribbean vacation for cheaper.
Quito
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

I've thought about Caribbean, but not sure I want to mess with kiddos passports and hassle of customs/multiple stops.
Quito
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

EOT

Looks great/outstanding.

Where do you fly into? Any info on shuttle service/executive car/Uber? We have small fold up booster seats we can use for kiddos.
Kool
AG
Quito said:

Dumpster Fire said:

EOT

Looks great/outstanding.

Where do you fly into? Any info on shuttle service/executive car/Uber? We have small fold up booster seats we can use for kiddos.
It's about a 5.5 hour drive from Atlanta, but you can also get flights to Pensacola or Panama City Beach. Panama City Beach is very close, but those flights tend to be expensive. Pensacola can be a bit of a drive. Have you looked into Sanibel Island or Siesta Key on the west side of Florida? Tres nice as well. Do not go to Destin - too crowded.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GrayMatter
AG
+1 on Siesta Key

It's a short drive from Orlando and there's plenty to see and do in that area.

Some of the softest sand I've walked on and the views are really nice too.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
You could also try Grayton Beach, close to watercolor, seaside, but a lot more affordable.

We stayed there last year and just drove to seaside for dinner and shopping.
RustyBV
AG
We stayed here on 30A and loved it, it's on the bike-path so you can bike to Rosemary and Watercolor.

http://www.30aescapes.com/property/seacrest-beach-mermaid-cove
jeffdjohnson
KC has direct flights to MIA. Could fly direct then drive to Key Biscayne (10 miles) or Key Largo (45 miles).
Dumpster Fire
We flew into Panama City one year. Other times we've driven.
kwammer
For 30A/Destin, you can also fly into Ft Walton Beach(VPS). We have flown AA direct to VPS from DFW.
Wolfman03
AG
I'm a little biased, but I completely agree with 30a/Destin/PCB.

ECP: UA, SWA, DL

VPS: AA, DL, UA

ECP is a little closer to 30a, but only 15-20 minutes (unless it is peak time in the summer).

Uber is allowed in Okaloosa and Walton Counties, but not yet in Bay (PCB). Bay County is ALMOST there on allowing Uber. Destin/Miramar has some Ubers to choose from - Walton (especially on 30a) could be slim until Bay also approved Uber.

Other transportation:

Sunshine Shuttle. Reasonable price for the area and very reliable/consistent. You will need to schedule a pickup a few hours in advance.

Taxis: If you like Vegas, then you'll love rolling the dice with a taxi in the area. Not just cleanliness/service, but also availability and reliability.
Quito
AG
Thanks for all the great replies! We decided on Orange Beach and most likely flying into PNS and arranging transportation....still up for advice!

We found a great property and are looking forward to it.

http://phoenixwest2rentals.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiArbrFBRDL4Oiz97GP2nISJAAmJMFa31F6dN3BEHvMFbnVVp5GaVIzjNkMzWF3XzzMJuqRrhoCPE3w_wcB
The Lost
I've flown delta from kc to Fort Walton beach then made the short drive to destin a bunch of times as my family has a condo there. Super easy through atl and if booked right reasonably priced.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Quito said:

PlanoAg98 said:

I've thought about Caribbean, but not sure I want to mess with kiddos passports and hassle of customs/multiple stops.

No passport necessary for Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Everything that has been said about the Florida Panhandle is spot on.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
If you have parking at wherever you're staying in 30A, I've gotten the cheapest and most convenient result with a rental car. On top of easy transport to/from the airport, you can make Publix runs which will put a massive dent in your food and booze spending.

I usually book pretty far in advance for those trips and use miles for the United IAH-ECP flight. I think last time, I got a midsize rental car for $150 total and had an off street parking spot next to my unit.
ToddyHill
AG
http://www.beachflats.com/

This place is two minutes from the beach. Fly to Tampa, Sarasota, or St. Pete (Allegiant)
TresPuertas
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

EOT

This thread was ended with this response.

Here's a picture I took for reference.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.