Any Ags in Budapest?

1,586 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PJYoung
et98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came here a week ago on vacation and my wife has been in the hospital with gall stones and severe pancreatitis since the moment we arrived. We still have at least anothere week to go and I'm going a little stir crazy. Are there any Ags here in Budapest who want to go grab a beer?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I told this story here after it happen, but several years ago my wife and I trained in from Bratislava and eventually got off at the Oktagon stop. I was trying to get my bearings to find our hotel and walked the Oktagon several times when a fellow with a southern draw asked if I needed help. Long story short, he was an Aggie living in Budapest and he pushed us in the right direction as well as giving us some restaurant recommendations.

I know this doesn't help, but there are Ags in Budapest. Hopefully one will contact you and hopefully your wife gets better.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Your situation has me very curious - how long of a trip did you have planned? Do you have any type of medical insurance that is covering her and your extraordinary expenses (hotels, flight changes, etc.)?
et98
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

Your situation has me very curious - how long of a trip did you have planned? Do you have any type of medical insurance that is covering her and your extraordinary expenses (hotels, flight changes, etc.)?

We spent nearly a week in Vienna before arriving in Budapest on the 23rd (it's now the night of the 29th). We were supposed to fly back back yesterday morning but she won't be able fly until the 5th at least based on what we're being told.

We didn't get travel insurance b/c we've never used it and I'm a dumbass. Luckily my wife's insurance will supposedly cover 90% of the hospital stay minus our deductible b/c it's emergency and life-threatening and out of country. Finding that out yesterday was a huge weight off my shoulders. There are still question marks on what else they may cover.

Everything costs about 1/3 to 1/2 of what it costs in the US luckily. Hotel is $62/night & the best free breakfast every day I've ever seen.

My insurance case mgr suggested today that certain credit card companies & banks sometimes offer free housing allowances for situations like this, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Also, the US embassy has been a God-send. The level of customer service is like nothing you canimagine in that hospital. The customer service and facilities are likely better in our prisons than they are in that hospital, but the embassy calls every single day requesting an update on her condition, which lights a fire under their asses. I'll write a detailed post on this subject later.

Depending on my wife's condition when we fly, we might have to go 1st class. My parents and my wife's parents have offered to cover that cost. United Airlines may waive the change fee, but I don't have that confirmed yet either.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Hope all goes well going forward.
Here4Beer
AG
I hope it all works out. Maybe contact the Association and see if they have an Aggie Club there.
Candiru
AG
If you search "Budapest" on the 'Find an Aggie' page at aggienetwork dot com after logging in, I find four Ags listed.
bjork
I assume you paid for accommodations/flights with a credit card. I know Chase and Amex offer some great options for travel insurance on items purchased with their cards. At least worth a call and ask.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Bumping this thread to get an update. Hope all is well...
et98
AG
Gets out of the hospital tomorrow!!!! Not cleared to fly until Monday, but I'll take it. 15 days in a Hungarian hospital...18 days total in Budapest... and 23 days since leaving the US.

And this was just supposed to be a 10 day vacation!
MAROON
AG
man sorry to read this. glad your wife is doing better.

Its a shame for you both because Budapest is a great town to visit.
et98
AG
Finally got home around midnight last night. Wife is getting checked out by US docs as we speak.

When I have some time im going to post a detailed report of what we went through and what it's like being in a Hungarian hospital, what to expect, and what to do if it happens to you. It really is a very different experience than in the US and it might be some good info for others.

I'll also put together a good report on Budapest. Even though I was busy visiting my wife quite a bit, i did have a chance to cover just about every square inch of that city at least once! After all, I was there 18 days!
NICU Dad
AG
Glad you're home, 'ol lady...and I can confirm for the others reading this thread that you are indeed a dumbass!
FriendlyAg
Didn't read this thread, but go to Bors!
PJYoung
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.