Washington DC trip suggestions with teenage daughter

1,341 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RenoAg
RenoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Looking mainly for good restaurant suggestions. I don't need fru-fru kinds of places. But I like to avoid chain restaurants if possible. Anything uniquely local with a good atmosphere and quality semi-normal food that you might expect a teenager to like is what I am after.

I have a pretty good idea we are going to be hitting up the usual museums and memorials during the day and various forms of arts in the evening at the Kennedy Center and Ford's theater. If you have anything specific to add to that that you think is can't miss - please do.

Staying at the JW roughly a couple blocks from the White House if that helps for suggestions.

Appreciate any ideas.
kwammer
highly suggest doing the DC Bike and Roll Monuments at Nite bike tour(weather permitting).
Great way to see the monuments w/out being stuffed on a bus.
An Ag in CO
AG
Inn at Little Washington (this one's on the froufrou side, I guess)

Blue Duck Tavern (American, skip and regret!)

Fiola (italian)

The Dabney (southern cooking)

Rose's Luxury (no reservations and long line, but great people watching)

Tail Up Goat

Minibar (Jose Andres)

The Chicken Ranch
AG
Consider staying at the Phoenix Park Hotel. It is just across from Union Station and just a few blocks from the Capitol. You won't need a car if you stay here, you can ride the Metro everywhere.
TXAG 05
AG
Bens Chili Bowl
twk
AG
When I went in September of '03, I had a really special visit to Arlington Cemetery. Once school is back in session and vacation season dies down, the cemetery opened at 8:00 but the tour bus that takes you around didn't run until 8:30. That meant that most people's first stop (for people who were there when the gates opened) was the Kennedy graves. I, however, walked straight to the Tomb of the Unknowns and got to watch the changing of the guard as the sole witness. Don't know if the schedule is still the same, but I would strongly consider doing that if you plan to go to Arlington.
Ag CPA
AG
The JW is a good base for sightseeing. One suggestion for dinner is the Old Ebbitt Grill; great atmosphere and across the street from the Treasury & White House, all an easy walk from the JW.
Federale01
AG
I lived in DC for a while, but have been gone for a few years so I may be rusty. I would suggest District of Pi for Pizza. Its on F Street near Ford's theater. I miss it and hit it up every time I go back. Also, Old Ebbit Grill is about as quintessential DC as you can get, but still reasonably priced. It is next to the Treasury building and the White House on 15th. You may need a reservation, especially if you are going around Christmas time, but its not fru fru and serves traditional American fare. Founding Farmers has an awesome brunch and isn't too far from your hotel (in Foggy Bottom).

Those are ones closer to your hotel and with a teenager in mind that I could think of. If you want to branch out and try some new stuff, DC has awesome Thai and Ethiopian food as well.

I am not sure if you are going in December, but its worth the time to see the national tree and congressional tree (which is always nicer) if you are.
Federale01
AG
Beat me to it.
hurleyag
AG
Not sure if it is "can't miss" but my favorite place in the city was the Library of Congress. Underrated stop that a lot of people skip.
JSKolache
AG
Try some of the Hill staffer hot spots for cheap & decent grub. There's a restaurant row on Pennsylvania Ave SE - starting at the Capitol then back along Penn to 8th St, which has its own strip of restaurants. Easy to get to - Metro stations on both ends. Also try H St NE for another local restaurant scene - has train access but easier by car/cab. Anything you'll find downtown will be pricey. Some are very good, but all are pricey. Old Town Alexandria is another good spot with lots of options & stuff to see. Enjoy!
zach2b
AG
2 Amys pizza is great
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I really like Legal Seafood.
RenoAg
Thanks everybody. You've given us some good options. We fly out on Saturday evening, at least as long as the weather doesn't cause cancellations. That would be really unfortunate if that happens since we have tickets to see the National Symphony performing Handel's Messiah at the Kennedy Center on Sunday afternoon. Hope we don't miss that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.