Asheville, NC

2,376 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VikingNik
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife has a conference there next month and I'm tagging along. She wants me to see Biltmore, she's been, is it a must see? What else do we need to know or do, besides hikes in mountains? Restauarants, bars, etc?
SW AG80
AG
It is absolutely worth seeing. Very interesting.
mattvswild
AG
It's a neat little city. Lots of great beer being brewed around there - I'd hit up Wedge Brewery, French Broad Brewery, and Highland Brewery. Also plenty of good places to eat - We like Early Girl Eatery when we're there. You can walk off all the food and beer at any number of state parks, and / or on your Biltmore excursion. In short: Go.

[This message has been edited by Mattvswild (edited 2/14/2014 10:30p).]
Potcake
AG
Keep'em coming
Thanks
SW AG80
AG
Hope you are staying at The Grove Park Inn.
Potcake
AG
Yes, that's where conference is. Then we're moving into town a few nights, likely Indigo

piag94
AG
Blowing rock has some pretty cool shoppes. Spent a lot of time there doing sales training
Potcake
AG
^
MIL lives in Kings Mountain, NC and our last visit there, we drove up to Blowing Rock and then Boone. Boone was awesome and App State must have some rich alums, that was a cool campus.
TXamc06
AG
Great beer scene. Wicked weed and nantahala are great little breweries to hit up as well. Drive up to Mount Mitchell if weather is cooperative.
SW AG80
AG
If you are a golfer, play at Grove Park. It is a Donald Ross course. Try to stay in the old part. Very historical.
Potcake
AG
ttt
Heading there on Saturday. Been looking at restaurants and bars. Just wanted anymore input y'all might have. Thanks
MAROON
AG
Really enjoyed our dinner on the back porch of the grove Park Inn. But that was in the summer - might stil be too cold.

Tupelo Honey Cafe in town is very good for lunch.

Yes to the Biltmore - pretty much a must see.
Endo Ag
AG
Moved here six months ago. Should be nice weather this weekend. Biltmore is cool. Groove park is cool. Epic mountain biking. Go for a drive / picnic on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Spa at the groove park is better than the rest. Can't go wrong with beer or food here. Dinner at the Bohemian is cool. Seriously, stop in the McDonald's outside the Biltmore house.
el aggie
AG
If you look around on Craigslist, you can find cheap tickets to the Biltmore. When people become annual members, they get two guest passes that they aren't supposed to sell but often do.

There's a downtown mall inside and outside of an office building that was neat with a lot of local-made crafts.
Potcake
AG
Alright, this place is cool. The weather is hit or miss right now but the food and drink is great and the people are really friendly. Haven't had a bad meal, except for the McDonalds fries, Endo, looking at you.
Modestos * * * *
Lobster Trap * * * * *
Curátes. * * *
King James Public House * * *
Edison at Grove Park Inn * * *
12 Bones Smokehouse (Travel Channel was filming there when we ate) - ate twice * * *
Havana (great owners) * *
Nine Mile * * *
Mayfel's (great po-boys) * * * *
Chorizo (Latin) * * *

Have had a ton of good local brews.
Having wine/drinks at Battery Park Book Exchange & Wine Bar, MG Road and 5 Walnut, Sante.
Went to Biltmore today and heading to Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow to look for waterfalls. Drove around UNC-Asheville campus yesterday, really pretty. Parts remind us of home in Austin.

[This message has been edited by Potcake (edited 3/21/2014 9:09p).]

[This message has been edited by Potcake (edited 3/21/2014 9:13p).]
Endo Ag
AG
I'm glad you are having a good time. I've been here six months and you've done more than me.

Go to Brevard for waterfalls.

...and I said go check out McDonald's by Biltmore, not actually eat there.
The Collective
AG
bump - visiting this town in a few months. Any other suggestions?
VikingNik
AG
Is Grandfather mountain still a tourist attraction? Was when I was a kid living in NC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.