Traveling in Europe after graduation

2,721 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Barcelona Aggie
P.C. Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ttt
defroach
What else do you need to know?
P.C. Principal
^ true, a good amount of info has been posted already. haha.

BUT I just got an offer from a Norwegian friend to stay in her cabin over in Norway. Scandinavia originally wasn't in our plans, but it's hard to turn down our own place for a while (and save some money).

Anyone ever been to Norway? It would only be a few days worth of a trip. We'll probably get a RyanAir flight up there instead of training up through Denmark and Sweden. Some on this thread said Oslo wasn't worth seeing. Just trying to get some input as to whether it's worth it to go up there. Hopefully we can squeeze Stockholm in while we're at it.
Aggie71013
AG
I went to Norway and Scandinavia 2 years ago. I liked it a lot. There were tons of beautiful women. Pretty good food, but everything is expensive.

In regards to Oslo. I did it in about 7 hours. We arrived on a train from some small towns around the fjords and then later that day left on an overnight train to Stockholm. I really didn't feel like I missed out on anything or needed more time in the city, but maybe I was just ill-informed of things to do and see in Oslo.

Beautiful country though. The fjords are a sight to be seen and I also spent a few days in Bergen which was really nice. I actually enjoyed my time there more than Oslo.
defroach
Scandinavia - your wallet will hurt. Food and beer will absolutely kill it.

But it is beautiful (women and scenery).
TruancyAg
I'm just curious. How is the world can you afford this trip at 22? All I had was debt and my college house stuff after graduation. I couldn't sell all of that for $500 bucks!
Shiner Bock
you find a way to afford it. one of the few times in life where no matter what youll be able to travel for an extended period of time.

defroach
What is $2000 bucks to you know? You figure out a way and pay it back. It really is nothing once you have a real job and can pay it back.
TruancyAg
Two grand? It'll cost Atleast half that to fly. I'd say the trip will costadore like 5 grand. Not criticizing just wondering how he can do it. I was tapped out debt wise at that age. Glad he can do it. I was just inquiring how? Just curious
defroach
Eh two grand was a bit low.

$800 to fly
$15 a night in a hostel
$20 a day in food
$15 a day in random stuff
Then the rest depends on how much you drink

$50-75 a day

So maybe $3500 let's say. I do think the food budget there is a bit high if you eat street food and sandwiches, but 50-75 seems reasonable overall.
defroach
And how...some people will borrow from parents if they are lucky and pay them back. My parents paid for my trip as a graduation thing, but I was lucky I guess....
Hoyt Ag
AG
You won't fly to any of his primary destinations for 800 with the Olymipcs this summr, unless you find an amazing deal.
defroach
True... Just basing that number off of how much I paid for a trip to Russia three weeks ago....came out to 750. But, when you have no specific city to fly in to, you can usually find a better deal to a random city.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I agree, pick a less popular locale as starting poit to save a buck. I like Kosice or Budapest. Both have landed me great fares.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Also have to factor in 20 to 50 per train ticket.
P.C. Principal
I've had a job this whole year. And I've been saving up from previous jobs too.
Duff09
Skip Munich, the Bavarians are huge *******s and hate when American students/young tourists come to "their city." Berlin is a good choice for young people. I would just be out going and talk to people and you will always find fun stuff to do in the evenings.
defroach
I've never had an issue as an Amerivan student the many times I went. They have an issue with the overly American tourists who use no common sense (just as all of Europe does).
careerchange05
AG
If you use their credit card, British Airways offers 2 for 1. I split the cost of 1 ticket with a buddy. Saved me a good amount.

And the "how" on how I afforded it: I worked for a year, saved every penny, quit my job in May, traveled for 8 weeks, and then started grad school. Loved it.

[This message has been edited by careerchange05 (edited 2/14/2012 1:27p).]
The Anchor
AG
What is the cheapest part of the year to fly to western Europe?
Hoyt Ag
AG
I would not use a CC unless its terms and fees were international friendly, some are not. I like having a Charles Scwabb checking account for use over there. Free ATM Withdrawls from any carrier and no maintenance fees. A lot of the large banks offer free ATM withdrawls with some overseas carriers, but they are not as abundant as one might think. They list a lot of banks on their sites, but finding branches or machines might, and can be the more east you travel, be problematic.

[This message has been edited by Hoyt Ag (edited 2/18/2012 10:20a).]
defroach
^^^ exactly what I use along with my BA CC for other things
Greenlander
AG
Lots of great advice on here. In addition I would ask your Norwegian (girl) friend her preferential beach resort in southern Europe at that time of year. You'll be better off meeting the Norwegians for three days in Ios than Oslo.

You are a very fortunate man. You will probably never have an opportunity to do a trip like this, for this long, again.
dcAg
I have been to Amsterdam several times and loved it. Great museums and one of the most beautiful and unique cities in Europe.
Barcelona Aggie
Madrid instead of Barcelona??? HAHA your loss
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.