Guatemala, Guatemala

1,668 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by BaylorHistory
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doing my fieldwork (anthropology) in a village outside Guatemala City...I might have a little while to see the sights in the city. Anything that is a must see?
Jackal99
AG
I would stay away from Guatemala City. There's really nothing there to see and it's not the safest city in the world. If you only have a short time, head to Antigua. It's not too far from Guate, but it's much different; it's somewhat touristy, but it's fairly safe, and among other things, you can hike up a volcano. If you have a little more time, take a getaway to Lake Atitlan and Panajachel. And if you have more than just a little time, get yourself up to El Peten and check out Tikal. That's a very long bus ride, though, or a short plane ride.
BaylorHistory
Thanks for the heads up...I probably won't have any travel time anyway, but on the off chance that I do I want to know where to go.
ce1994
AG
Second poster gave my EXACT itinerary. The thing to do in Guatemala City is land at the airport and get out ASAP. There is nothing you need to do or see in that place.
ce1994
AG
You will have enough time to go to Antigua.
BaylorHistory
I'm there June 1-June 29 just for a bit of more information. I'll try to take a lot of pictures but generally we are doing ethnographic research and they may not want us taking pictures.

[This message has been edited by BaylorHistory (edited 1/27/2010 9:31p).]
Jackal99
AG
What village will you be in? And ce is right; if you have time to get into Guate, you'll have time to go to Antigua. Antigua is only a short bus ride from Guate. If you have some free time on a Thursday or Sunday, head to Chichicastenango and check out the incredible market.

You make a good point about taking pictures. From having lived in Honduras and spending a lot of time in Guatemala, I know that may people (particularly those of Mayan heritage) are superstitious about having their picture taken. So be very careful when taking pictures of people, and always ask permission first.
BaylorHistory
Our research is with the Mayan people and mostly focus on their religion in the modern world, so yeah we won't do anything to upset their beliefs.
TXCityAggie
AG
Antigua!
jpb1999
AG
Semuc Champey

Thank me later.

Awesome place! But you need a weekend. I evening to travel there(can stay there or stay in nearby Coban and drive up early the next morning), a full day to hang out and explore, then drive back the next day. You need to book a room here: http://www.elretirolanquin.com/ There is a cave tour that is pretty bad ass also.. you have to swim by candle light and traverse up underground waterfalls. Just awesome awesome place!!
jpb1999
AG
If you just have a day to kill, I would def. go to Lake Atitlan and take a boat across to Panajachel over just going to Antigua.

Also, if you have more time, head down to the Rio Dulce. I stayed here: http://www.fincatatin.centroamerica.com/diseno_nuevo/main3E.htm I would say the easiest way is to go from Guat City to Rio Dulce, then take a boat down the Rio Dulce to the Finca. You could also go Puerto Barrios then boat over to Livingston(a cool Garifuna village) to meet up with someone from Finca Tatin to take you the rest of the way. Again, this would require a weekend or so. It is a lost place though... very remote and quiet.
BaylorHistory
Thanks for the help!

I was thinking about taking a day (if possible)and heading down to Salvador. I also know a guy that I worked with at Disney who is from Honduras and hope to get a chance to visit him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.