travel money belts/pouches?

3,830 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by AggieGirl35
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This may seem like a silly question, but is a travel money belt/pouch necessary or is it merely a tourist gimmick? Specifically for a woman? I'm traveling abroad for the first time in March (London specifically) and can't decide if using one would be worth it. Thanks in advance for any advise and opinions.
archangelus2
AG
I used one when I went to Europe for 5 weeks. I was skeptical at first but most people recommended it so I went ahead and used one.

I think it is pretty much a must now, having something fall out of your pocket when you are going so many different and unfamiliar places in a short amount of time is a nightmare. The money belt eliminates the chances of that happening.

Just make sure to wash it whenever you do laundry...they get kind of rank.

------------------------------------
I don't know what I'm talking about.
Randy03
AG
Do you normally use a purse?

If so, why would travelling abroad be any different?

My wife and I travel quite a bit and she takes her purse everywhere (its not a giant one like a lot of women).

I dont see the need for something like that, or even worse, those people who carry their passport in that clear sack around their necks .. its horrible.

If you are prone to lose things, I would recommend it .. if you were going to Turkey, SE Asia, Bulgaria, Romania or something like that, I would also recommend it due to issues with hordes of pickpockets .. but in London? Again unless you are super paranoid that you are forgetful and will lose your purse in all of the commotion, then why would you need one of these things?
bthotugigem05
AG
London's probably not as bad in terms of carrying a purse, just stay vigilant.
defroach
ive never had a problem with just having my wallet in my pocket.....but that is just me. i havent ever stooped to the money belt level.
Apache
AG
If you're a woman, just wear your purse across your body. My mom got a purse with a thin steel wire in the strap so it couldn't be cut.

If you're a guy just use a money clip & keep it in your front pocket. If someone can steal that from you, you're an idiot & deserve to be robbed.

I think the biggest danger for theft is places like trains at night, hostels, and during drunken parties like San Fermin & Octoberfest.
bushytailed
AG
Thanks for the insight. Whew. I was hoping to not have to resort to a money belt.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
when abroad i use one like this:

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/hidden-travel-loop-wallet-p-855.html?osCsid=c22869f038480de6595f4f2ec1acab33

we generally stay in hostels or apartments so i carry my passport with me at all times. this makes it easy to keep all the important stuff close to you and comfortably.
proudaggie02
AG
Just get one of these.... it's not a purse; it's a satchel. Indiana Jones has one.

NITESIDE
Pants and money in front pocket with your hand in your front pocket. Purse???when your in a place with Gypsys a purse is as good as gone. One of their great tricks to get you to let go of it...toss a baby at you. When you insintively go to catch it, another one takes your purse.
Randy03
AG
lol Ive never heard of such a thing ..

Yeah the Roma are thieving .. but throwing babies .. thats absurd.

They will send a horde of children to mob you while several of the children are trying to steal whatever they can get their hands on in a backpack, pocket or even off your fingers .. but I have never heard of tossing a baby ..

Anyhow .. the Roma arent prevalent in England, so dont worry about it. Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia .. thats another thing.
TXCityAggie
AG
I have one but never really use it. Just put your wallet in your front pocket and use common sense. Women and purses are a different story. Women I have traveled with usually used the pouch that hangs around their neck.
Randy03
AG
Who actually has their wallet in their back pocket anyhow? Rednecks?

City folks dont do it thats for certain .. no wallet marks or Copenhagen marks on our pockets
dcAg
Randy,
You need to get back to the planet Earth. EVERYONE carries their wallet in their back pocket. However should someone have a money clip...thats front pocket material and recommended for traveling in new cities.
wessimo
AG
actually while traveling I got in the habit of carrying my wallet in my front pocket and now I always keep it there. more secure and more comfortable when sitting.
McNasty
AG
quote:
If so, why would travelling abroad be any different?

How much trouble do you have to go through for losing a passport?
archangelus2
AG
Not sure if most of you are aware of this or not but for clarification you wear the money belt under your clothes...

------------------------------------
I don't know what I'm talking about.
schmendeler
AG
i use a money clip in my front pocket. my european friends looked at me like i was crazy when i pulled out a money belt. plus the thing is like a sweat lodge on your navel.
Apache
AG
The travel board now officially hates these things:
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
BaylorHistory
Northface Backpack looks better...
NITESIDE
Front pocket wallets can be had a Dillards. Been using them for several years...carry just as much stuff as a back pocket one. Another advantage...they don't fall out in a toilet...seen that one happen also.

Baby throwing is real. We are talking about Gypsys after all and the baby might not even be theirs. There are solid reasons these folks are so hated in Europe.
Know several people this has happened to in Rome.
Randy03
AG
Wow thats awesomely bad .. Ill trust you that there is baby throwing .. I still dont really believe it .. I think its something you would have to see with your own eyes. Still yeah okay its potentially plausible.
schmendeler
AG
the twigs of rosemary are bad enough.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I have a front-pocket wallet as well. It's kind moneyclip on one side, slot for cards on the other.
PTXaggie08
AG
I have always used a wallet for my back pocket, but when I started carrying a pistol, it was uncomfortable because I wear the handgun on my back hip. So now I use a front pocket wallet, and I will never go back...
El Chupacabra
quote:
Randy03
posted 3:13p, 01/21/10

Who actually has their wallet in their back pocket anyhow? Rednecks?

Men that don't like other men carry wallets in their back pockets.
Randy03
AG
Hrm thats interesting there, well my dad never had a "big" back pocket wallet and Ive never had any other besides a small front pocket one. My dad said that in the early 60s on the south side of Chicago he had a front pocket wallet and his service 45 when he took courses at IIT, whites werent really welcome. For University of Chicago Ive heard it has got worse.

Either way .. I figure its a thing like how you wear a watch .. if I wear a watch, then its with the face towards the palm of my hand .. most people dont do that either Its kinda retarded that people wear a watch on the outside and then have to turn it 180 degrees .. instead of just rotating their wrist and see the clock the way you are accustomed to reading it. My way does tend to lead to scratches a bit more, but you just need to get a better glass then.

Then again .. who really wears a watch anymore either?

[This message has been edited by Randy03 (edited 3/13/2010 3:41a).]
dreyOO
if i'm going somewhere that there's even a question of shady business, then i just do my best to dress down, look like a poor schmo myself. it works just fine. people ask you for money, ask them right back and tell them you're looking for a job
AggieGirl35
AG
Just carry an across-the-body purse or a smaller purse that you can hold close to you (shorter strap, etc). Always have one that zips, because subway pickpocketers will stick their hands in your bags without you even knowing.

I've always carried a normal looking purse and never had problems. I always go the route of trying to look like I belong, and people leave me alone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.