Angels Landing hiking trail in Zion

4,830 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by AggieOO
Barnaby Jones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone done this? 1000 foot drops on either side at certain points. Just looking at these pics make me nervous, although what's the point of going to these parks without seeing the views offered by some of these breathtaking hikes?

MidnightYell2003
AG
be very careful about it. A woman died in August this year on that trail
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/08/fall-angels-landing-zion-national-park-claims-life-california-woman

But I've done it and I highly recommend it since it's a good hike and has great views at the top. Lots of fun photo ops.
SA68AG
AG
I've done it and it is not for everyone. If you don't know how you'll react to a 1000 foot drop off while hanging on to chains with no trail but just foot holds then this isn't the place to find out. Try Hidden Canyon first. If it bothers you at all then don't do Angels Landing. If it doesn't bother you, then give it a shot. As an aside the view from Observation Point on the other side of the Canyon is better and I think overall it's a better hike than Angels Landing. I've been to Zion multiple times so please ask if you have any other trails in mind.
Furlock Bones
AG
that is beautiful. i would love to do it.

[This message has been edited by Sloan Kettering (edited 11/16/2009 3:24p).]
Theo
That is beautiful but it does not look like there is any margin for error if you lose your footing.

I was planning a visit to that park this coming summer and that was definitely something I was going to look into. But I don't want to die on vacation.

Pierce County Ag
AG
I've never done the trail, but the notion of a handline needed for a hike got my attention. As a climber: for safety, I might clip on the handline if possible (in case you slip). You'll need some webbing and a locking carabiner (or 2 non-lockers). I can explain if you'd like, it's simple insurance...
ccard257
AG
You need two biners/slings to clip a handline. Otherwise you come off when you pass an anchor.
Pierce County Ag
AG
That's absolutely true. For more than one stretch of handline: if you need to pass an anchor, you'll need 2 lockers or 4 non-lockers (2 on each, gates opposite and opposed). Webbing is cheap. One tied loop (tied properly)for each anchor will suffice. The whole thing should cost $25...

[This message has been edited by Pierce County Ag (edited 11/17/2009 6:05p).]
JimboFlyFisher
AG
Wife and I did it, but she stopped when it got to where the chain is installed to assist. I didn't feel unsafe at all, just took my time and make sure each step is secure. You don't want to be looking around at the gorgeous scenery until you get to the top or a good stopping location.

If it is a windy day I might take a pass.

Depending on time of year, the narrows is pretty cool as well. It gets really crowded there at peak times.

Have a great time!
c0rn_d0g
AG
Coolest thing I've ever done.

Much is made about the drops and what not. I don't like or hate sheer cliffs. I imagine I'd take an "oh well" approach if i fell off one...

But it isn't as bad as people made it out to be. Hiked it in June of 08. It's a short hike, for the most part.

After you go up the wiggles, the first section of chain starts. I thought to myself "This is not bad at all. People are idiots." Then we came to a wide, flat area.

This is not the top. It took me a while to realize that. It took me abother 10 minutes to think about if i wanted to go up the spiny ridge to the real top. Ended up doing it.

It's sandstone, so naturally it's a little sandy in places. Chains are well secured and 95% of the people hiking up or down are courteous. It is more or less one lane traffic. There are spots to take breaks in a couple of areas.

We needed no climbing gear. I did it with a pack on. It was not too big of a deal.

I recall a couple of areas having to scuttle down.

It's an intenese experiance and worth the hike. I honestly don't recall what the view was like from the very top...but the hike I'll never forget. Well worth every step.

You'll have so much adrenaline going up and down that it might even seem easy.

If you want a bit of a precursor, hike the hidden canyon trail near weeping wall. It has a few chain sections and it a neat hike. There is an arch in the canyon if you walk far enough.
Aggie Sailor 2011
Even though the pictures look scary, I would suggest that you go ahead and do it. I hiked it with my father when I was around 13. He wasn't exactly in the best shape either, but we both did alright. There's always a little room between you and a drop and those areas aren't too common from what I remember. The steep parts have chains to hold onto. Bring plenty of water and some snacks for energy and maybe a lunch. It's a great hike!
shoc08
AG
Did this last summer along with the Narrows hike. Both were awesome. I don't remember anything being to terribly scary. There are definitely some pictures that I saw online beforehand that had me a little leery. The view at the top is great. I'll have to dig up some of my pictures but here's one I found online taken from the top looking back down the valley.

And here's a pic of the narrows. It's an out and back hike through the Virgin River (unless you have ropes to repel/climb) but it was hard for us to turn around and go back; the views just kept getting better. I actually took virtually this same picture, and there was a picture identical to this framed on the wall in the inn we stayed at just outside Zion.
AggieOO
its not bad at all. and its not a technical trail as far as footing goes. hundreds of people hike it every day. the chance of something going wrong is pretty small.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.