Budapest, Hungary???

1,689 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by dcAg
TXCityAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am trying to plan a trip for about eight days in March. I would really like to visit Eastern Europe this time, and I'm leaning towards Budapest. I would like to spend the whole time there with a few day trips into the country side. Anyone been? Suggestions on good, inexpensive accommodation?
defroach
I was there I guess almost two years ago now. I spend only 2 nights there, in winter, and feel that I saw most of what I wanted to see (I booked a trip for my co-worker last month as a side trip on a business trip, and he only spent two nights there and said he had enough time). I like the city itself, but its not a place I would spend all that long in.

I found my coworker a hotel for 80 bucks a night near the main bridge and parliment, just found it on hotels.com.
mr nasty
we made a weeklong stop there during our european backpacking trip. awesome city.

we just used lonely planet, and found an apartment w/kitchen, etc.

good times.

hit up the turkish baths.
monkeyboy2
I went about 8 years ago. We stayed here: http://www.marcopolohostel.com/. My friends stayed in one of the double rooms on the top floor and I stayed in one of the quad rooms. Budapest used to be cheap - in the big city, a 1/2 liter beer was about a dollar. Not sure if it's still that cheap or not.

We also went out to Eger for a couple of days, which is in the wine country. Took the train. We stayed in whatever hotel Rick Steves recommended. Eger was cheap and great (the same 1/2 liter beer was only 65 cents here!). You can walk to a place called "the valley of beautiful women" where wine is brought in by locals and do all sorts of tasting.

Two days is easily enough time there.

Here's a synopsis of Eger from Rick Steves: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/east/eger.htm
nick_t
Great City, but I saw through the eyes of a 19 year old grunt on R&R from Bosnia.
Randy03
AG
Prices in Hungary are up, they still arent western Europe high, but compared to 10 years ago, its the same like the Czech Republic, the standard of living has risen a lot.

If you speak Hungarian, are interested in Hungarian food or are with relatives/friends who can take you around, Budapest is nice. Lake Balaton area is also very nice and where most of the eastern bloc took their vacations back when travel to the west was restricted. In Budapest during the summer there is the 6 day open air festival Sziget on the island in the middle of the Danube of the same name. You are allowed to camp on the island during that week and its pretty good, there are a lot of cool bands there, its usually in July or August.

[This message has been edited by Randy03 (edited 10/22/2009 3:47p).]
hds
AG
Great city . . . I went in winter and got a great deal at the Kempinski (top notch 5 star hotel). Easy city to walk around . . . be sure to take warm clothes.
Old School Rucking
87AustinAg
AG
My parents immigrated from Magyarorszag (Hungary) and have spent much time visiting family. Im agree with Randy03's suggestions.
5 or 6 days should be sufficient. Turkish Baths, Balaton in Summer Time (Have a family home in Fured) are recommended
Hanrahan
AG
Went with the wife a few years back, also stayed at the kempenski, but didn't make a reservation in advance and got a sweet deal, awesome hotel. It's worth going, but you can do it in a couple days. Isn't super cheap, but way cheaper than western europe,
HollywoodBQ
AG
Here's the link to the pictures from my 2003 trip to Budapest and Vienna.

Some stuff that didn't make it into my commentary.
It's hilarious all the street hawkers at night trying to get you into their strip club or whatever. Don't do it.

Hungarians are more apt to speak German than they are English.

The women in Hungary are ridiculously HOTT! I mean it.

We decided that the Hungarian countryside is a lot like either North Texas, or Indiana.

Even if you spend $8 for dinner in a nice restaurant, remember that the average Hungarian wage is about $4,000 so $8 is expensive.
phoenix491
AG
I went with my family a couple of years ago, and we stayed in a boat hotel on the Danube ... not bad at all, and very reasonable (especially when we offered to pay in cash -- got a nice discount).

Here's the place: www.budapesthotelstart.com/budapest-hotels/fortuna-boat-hotel/hotel-summary.en.html

It's near Parliament, with a view of Margaret Island. I think we paid around 50 Euros a night for a double (in early Nov.), but I could be off by a few.

As others have said, make sure to hit one of the baths -- it was the coolest thing we did. (We went to the Szechenyi Baths, www.szechenyibath.com, which were less touristy than the more famous Gellert Baths on the river.

Also, hit the huge Central Market Hall, and check out the view from Castle Hill. Also good are St. Stephen's Basilica, the Chain Bridge and the House of Terror (which is rather sobering, but fascinating).
Cheeks
the bronzed shoes is a sombering sight along the danube.

we stayed in a hotel across from the cathedral and fisherman's market on the buda side of the river. beautiful city, great people, hot women, cheap beer.
dcAg
Awesome city. Crazy stuff goes on there or at least used to go on there
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.