Marfa, Texas

2,670 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by NITESIDE
Rebel96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been? Tell me about it. Thinking of going for a three day weekend in Dec. Not sure why, just want to do a road trip. Things to see/ do/ Eat/ Stay...all the regular info. Thanks.
chick79
AG
Stay at this place!

www.cibolocreekranch.com
SW AG80
AG
Stay at El Paisano Hotel in Marfa or stay in Ft. Davis at The Limpia Hotel (which would be my choice).
The food at Jett's in El Paisano Hotel is GREAT. Go see the Marfa Lights. If you are there on Tues. or Thurs, go to McDonald's Observatory's star gazing party. There are several good places to eat in Ft. Davis. The restaurant attached to the Limpia Hotel is really, really good. There is a good Mexican food place on the left as you head out to the fort from downtown Ft. Davis. And in Alpine try Reata. I have never eaten there but it is supposed to by very good.
rbcs_2
AG
I lived in Marfa for a while and loved it. In fact, I would jump at the chance to move back. But for tourism, it can basically be broken down into two things. Marfa lights. Art scene. The town is pretty small, so don't expect a whole lot. You don't need to limit yourself to just Marfa with Ft. Davis and Alpine relatively close. I wish more people would make the trek out to West Texas.

CDub06
AG
I've spent a few stints in Alpine for work and LOVED it. I'm usually a big city guy, but I love the feel and the way that's it's self contained. The people are interesting and surprisingly diverse.

I went to Marfa a couple of nights and didn't really dig it as much. There wasn't as much to do there it seemed. I heard all about the art scene, but did not see much. The restaurants are nice and higher end than what you'll see in Alpine. I ate at Maiya's a while back and was not impressed.

The Marfa lights are cool (it's one of those things you HAVE TO do when you're in the area).

I've wanted to attend a Star party up the road at Fort Davis, but have not had the opportunity.

Now, all my Alpine advise:

I would recommend checking out the Holland Hotel restaurant. Good German food and micro brewery. However, it looks like they may be undergoing renovations right now. It's also a neat place to stay...when open... Though I am a little miffed about their CRAPPY service the last time I was in town. And their inability to return emails or calls...

I spent a lot of time at La Trattoria and LOVE it. By day it's a cafe with a good menu selection. At night, they throw down table cloths and spice up the atmosphere a little. They have daily specials and a lot of the menu is italian food. It's all good. They have a good coffee selection and their house tea is Apricot (fairly common in Alpine). It's a great place to sit during the day and meet people, lots of artsy types. And they have Free WIFI!

La Casita was the best West Texas Mexican Food I had out there. Service is good. I recommend the Green Chile Burrito.

Bread and Breakfast is a popular breakfast spot. Typical breakfast fare and baked goods. I like it.

Magoo's Place is the other popular place for breakfast place. It's small, but is famous for their "Magoorito" (Bacon, Sausage, Potato, Egg, Cheese taquito)

Everyone raves about the Reata steakhouse. Probably the nicest place in Alpine to dine, good service, but nothing special about the food. I'd skip it.

Alicia's has the best burgers in town, don't expect good service though. The place is packed for lunch and I don't think they're open for dinner.

Alpine City Limits and Texas Fusion are decent, but passable BBQ joints.

Frederick's has decent Mexican food, also passable.

The worst place I've eaten in Alpine was the Buffalo Rose Saloon. Poor service and food.

At night, you have to go to Railroad Blues. It's a cool bar with plenty of live music and a good crowd every night. Tuesday night is trivia night, the host is hilarious!

Crystal Bar is just down the street, small dive bar. I've never been.

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 10/14/2009 11:11a).]
p_bubel
Fort Davis/McDonald Observatory is cool and the road from Presidio to Lajitas is beautiful.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 10/14/2009 11:46a).]
Rebel96
AG
Good stuff! Still trying to decide. Looks like Alpine might be worth more of a look. The Marfa Lights and the McDonald Observatory are definitely on the list. Was originally planning only a three day weekend, but might extend it to a four day to make the drive from Houston worth it. Might go in early December or wait till early spring. What's the weather like both times? Thanks.
chick79
AG
We went right after New Years a few years ago... . there's a tall mountain south of Marfa (8,000 feet or so) that had snow on top of it... it snowed for part of one day while we were there..... the weather would definitely be better in the spring........
MidnightYell2003
AG
have any of ya'll actually seen the lights?
Pro Sandy
AG
yes!

http://travel.webshots.com/album/568552780YkGdnJ

I am sure that some of the lights we saw were cars on the highway, but I am also certain that some were not as the lights have been reported since before cars existed.
CDub06
AG
We saw the lights when we were there. Bizarre. People discussed what it could possibly be and then went their own way.

A funny thing about the bathroom there. There is a soap dispenser, but...no sink. Don't make the mistake I did.

I hope you enjoy the area. Like I said, I like it. Super friendly people and a very unique part of the state.

Pro Sandy will probably tell you to head south to the park for the real attraction. I've not made it that far...
Pro Sandy
AG
I've spent probably a month or more total in Big Bend and still haven't seen all I want to see.

The bathroom at the Marfa Lights View Station is certainly something to see. A model in water conservation.

How often do you think they have to refill the soap?
F6F
Isn't that where Randy Quaid got arrested two weeks ago?
p_bubel
In Marfa, yes. In the bathroom, I don't know.
Pro Sandy
AG
"bathroom" is generous. It is more of just a concrete room with funny chairs with holes in them.
CDub06
AG
Sandy, those aren't chairs...
p_bubel
"Why is my back all wet?"

Wow, I can't believe that quote popped up in my head.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 10/16/2009 10:27a).]
SW AG80
AG
I have been to see the Marfa Lights about 10x. I have seen them 7 out of my 10 trips.
NITESIDE
Isn't one of the Hotels the one where the cast and crew of Giant stayed??? They have rooms like the "James Dean Room" and such. Totally redone about 5 years ago? Looks neat on their website.
Do know the weather is great just about all times of the year....check out Balmara Sate park near there...last natural undamed Spring in Texas...nice water, nice cabins also.
Been a while since I've been there, that's why I'm not for sure on these things.
AgFan1999
AG
NITESIDE,

That's the El Paisano.
chico
AG
niteside - water is freeeeeezing in that Balmorhea? state park.

That area is very cool. Drive from Marfa down to Ruidoso thru the Pinto Canyon (make sure you've got a spare tire) very pretty area. Great beer joint in Ruidoso.
CDub06
AG
El Paisano looks nice, there have been a good number of people staying there when I've been in Marfa.

All the locals are proud of the movies that have been filmed in that area (old and new). Bread and Breakfast has autographs and posters from There Will Be Blood posted around their establishment.
NITESIDE
It's one of those places I've wanted to get back to for years, but just haven't made it recently.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.