Chicago

2,594 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by iloveAP
AstrosAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend and I will be in Chicago a weekend in November and were wondering what part of the city is best to get a hotel. Also, any tips as to what sites to see, things to do, etc. would be greatly appreciated. TIA
wichoAggie06
I do not know about hotels but you definetly need to go to downtown as by November they should have the ice rink in the middle of millenium park.
Also, if you are into museums and all that you might want to check the Museum of Natural History. There are some days that you can get in for free, but im not sure about weekends.
Navy Pier is also a must go place, but since it is next to the lake it wont be as crowded as in summer.

I will also probably be in chicago for thanksgiving if i dont go to the t.u. game.
NITESIDE

[This message has been edited by NITESIDE (edited 10/1/2009 2:31p).]
NITESIDE
If you've got money, one of the nice ones down by the lake. What's the one Oprah always puts people up in???sorry, can't remember the name, but went in the lobby once...Nice.
dreyOO
the omni i think

normally, i don't care where i stay so long as it can access the train easily...but if it's cold and windy, forget that and stay inside the loop near the lake. minimize the walking
flipper
I'm going tomorrow. It's supposed to be cold, windy and raining.

Awesome.
NITESIDE
The wind down on State And Rush is cold even in the summer.
Pahdz
the marriott on the mag mile is solid
iloveAP
AG
Definitely go to the Hancock building (I'd recommend this over Willis Tower). The past two times I've been there's been a serious line in Sears/Willis Tower and there's no audio tour up top. The view is cool and all but you can see so much more from Hancock. Willis now has the little glass bottom areas you can step out on so if you're in to that you'd need to go there. Hancock has a little cafe where you can enjoy food, drinks, or dessert while enjoying the view! At Hancock, go to the top and listen to the audio tour as you walk around and see the sites from above.

If you do a river architecture tour do it during the day light (versus at night when your pictures won't turn out and you can't see everything as well) or do a bus tour through the city. You can hop on and off different buses with the same tour company.

There's so much to do and see. The train system is user friendly and a lot of things are within walking distance...depending on where you're staying of course. I stayed at a little boutique hotel on Wabush & State.
dreyOO
if you do the hancock bldg, then hit the signature room bar. you have to buy a drink for about $11, but it's totally worth it. plus if you're with a girl, tell her to go to the restroom...the best view in chicago is only in the women's bathroom. it's (based on the pics I have) really pretty awesome from there
East Dallas Ag
AG
Priceline the North Michigan Ave area, 4 or 3.5 stars. I got the Conrad for $100 night back in May on a busy convention weekend. Very nice hotel, typically $300+ if you book through them. I would start at ~60-75 depending on what weekend it is. Also check out http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/ for tips on prices and what hotels you may get.
flipper
We went to Willis Tower. We got there before it opened (not on purpose. It opens an hour later starting in October. We walked around for about 30 minutes and then went back.)

The line wasn't too bad. The whole thing was way smoother than going to the top of the Empire State building.

The ledge was pretty cool too!
Mayra.Loera.Music
I agree.. the Omni on Michigan Ave is a good choice! Plus, it's in the heart of the city.
TXAGFAN
AG
Lots of good "deals" to be had on sites like hotwire. Those will let you choose stars and general area, much better than paying the hotel's rate.
wapa
I was spoiled and got to stay at the Four Seasons on MM when I went this summer. Obviously this is an expensive choice but the location was great if there are any other hotels near it.
dreyOO
i don't think i could put even one foot on that ledge. holy crap....how the F does that spiderman guy climb these buildings...he's nuts
flipper
I am not afraid of heights and was all gung-ho about going out on the ledge. Until we got up there. I leaned over to look down and then I decided that the whole thing was going to crash down on me even though I just saw 30 other people go out on it.

It actually was much better when I just walked out. Leaning over like that was a bad idea. It was very cool.
iloveAP
AG
After watching the youtube of Oprah's season kick-off I want to go back to Chicago ASAP! I don't watch Oprah's show (because I don't watch tv in general) so I missed it. But I heard about it and watched it on youtube. WATCH IT! It's so cool. I love that Black Eyed Pea song ("I've got a feeling" and the entire production is just way neat.

I love Chicago!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.