Charlottesville, VA - need ideas

1,401 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by NITESIDE
JerryHughesYourDaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Other than Monticello, UVa, and the Michie Tavern, what are some other must sees? I also need a fun place to watch games and drink beer on Thursday night. Anyone in the know on this?
Van Buren Boy
AG
Gotta get a Gus Burger
osterhaseD
James Monroe's house (Ash Lawn-Highland) is very close to Monticello. Also, James Madison's house (Montpelier) isn't too far away either. They just finished restoring Madison's and it is pretty amazing to see how they did it. The DuPont family bought the place and added on. I was there a few days after they tore down the last add-on wing of the house.

There are a lot of vineyards in the area if you are into that.
VikingNik
AG
The whole downtown is a pedestrian mall. Lots of places. One of the nicest towns in the country IMO.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
I hit up Montpelier today, very nice place. Going to try and find this Gus buger tonight.
NorfolkAg
AG
C-ville itself is a very unique place. The campus is very special and the students feel they are as well.

If you can get away from the town, the area is full of some pretty good vineyards and some great apple orchards. We usually take a Fall trip to see the trees change on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is 30 minutes away.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
I was not a fan of the UVa students to say the least.
JerryHughesYourDaddy
Some sites from around the area...

Montpelier

Monticello

Ash Lawn-Highland

Downtown Charlottesville

Smokedraw01
My wife has family in Fluvanna County, so we've been a couple of times. I really enjoyed visiting Madison's home and got to see it two years in a row with all the work being done. When I go back, it will be great to see it finally finished.
osterhaseD
Great photos. All three Presidential homes are a great way to spend the day.

I have an unhealthy man-crush on Jefferson. Obviously I enjoyed Monticello. A part of me liked Montpelier more though. I think it was the puzzle of the restoration (i.e. door placement via photos of mirrors). The mouse nest from Madison's days was ridiculous.

I didn't want to say anything about the UVa students. Glad someone did. I go that way a couple of times a year for various meetings and usually leave feeling better about myself.
NITESIDE
Was there last Oct...but, alas, was sick the whole time. But my "Buds" told me that the area on campus that they have closed off the streets and put shops and resturants was waay cool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.