Oktoberfest rollcall

7,429 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by dcAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kiss my behind Randy. In another thread a few months ago you said that you had never actually been to the Oktoberfest. You are a hater...and you dont sound like much fun. Oktoberfest like going to a castle? Whatever.

That being said why dont you post some pictures from the Cannstatter Wasen? I think you talked me into going for a day during my next visit to Oktoberfest. Sounds a little different and fun.

[This message has been edited by dcAg (edited 9/21/2009 8:16p).]
bradycreel03
Hey folks --

I'll be back in Munich for one night next week (28 Sept.). Anyone with an extra seat/tent ticket for that afternoon or evening?

Email me at bradycreel@tamu.edu.

Prost!
JetSet05
AG
Had my first liter at the Haufbra tent at 9 am.. Beer its whats for breakfast..
bradycreel03
JetSet, are you there today? Let's meet up. I get to Munich around 2 p.m.
JetSet05
AG
Brady.. whish I would have seen this earlier... I leave munich tomorrow (9/30) at 3:30... I can meet up anytime before 2 tomm.
javanero
AG
alright fellow ags...

i'm in munich tomorrow 10/2 at 1pm and leave at 2pm 10/3...

i need to drink lots of beer in that amount of time. email me if you want to hang out...

javierhorta at gmail dot com
neomoon
AG
Just got back from the HB tent, were headed to the BMW museum tomorrow morning but will be there in the afternoon & evening. Email sent with contact info!!

Can't even BELIEVE I'm still typing correctly
dcAg
All 2009 Wiesn participants please post pictures of your experience. I know I would love to see some of the TexAgers in action!
Randy03
AG
Was at the Zum Wasenwirt tent at the Wasen yesterday night. Drank a lot of beer and danced on the benches .. but bummer the camera fell into the Masskrug, yes I had my 2nd camera destroyed in 2 months ... Im pretty sure I can attempt to send it into Sony and they repair it :p

Who knows.

As soon as I have a card reader, Ill post some pics of the Wasen.
dcAg
Randy,
Can you describe the characteristics of each of the Wassen tents and tell us your favorite?

I know the Oktoberfest tents all have a different personality.
Randy03
AG
I have only been to two tents in the last two years .. meaning one each year.

I was in the Schwaben Braue tent last year, it was typical German "Fest" stuff Id say .. more hmmm the typical German good feelings music "Stimmungsmusik" and then I think they had Blues Brothers and Elvis stuff going on .. Germans are big on particular songs and you always hear them at these things (Wine Fests, Town Fests, Bierfest? Er I mean the Wiesn/Wasen)

The Zum Wasenwirt tent was MUCH younger than the others, it was the SWR3 (thats a major regional radio channel) tent this year and has the reputation for being younger. I would stand by that, it was more people dancing on tables, more hot young girls in Dirndls and much more techno/dance type music mixed in of course with the usually drinking/Karnival songs (though here they are Fasching songs, there is no Karnival in the south).

Anyhow, yeah .. I didnt move around tents because its really hard to do, you either need reservations or have to be someone important, or I guess on a mission to see all the tents. However, since I live here, I figure that I will be around long enough to see all the tents eventually.

I think the Sonja Renz tent is more for groups of women going as a girls night out type of Wasen thing, but yeah at the Zum Wasenwirt the table next to us was also a group of college aged girls (alone) dancing on the table/benches in their dirndls .. so yeah thats about all I can say about that.

There were a few new tents this year, two more beer tents and a wine tent, as Stuttgart and the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg are wine areas. I know that for a fact because right behind my house are vineyards, I have steps that go up into them behind the house heh.

Okay like I said, as soon as the stores open again Ill post some pictures, hopefully that info helped.

However, there is no tent at the Wasen like Kaefer's tent/house in Muenchen.. which is almost exclusively for VIP/famous people
Randy03
AG
Oh and I believe I had a lot better time at the tent this year, even though I was with my in-laws .. but that was also because last year I was with my department from work and they are a bunch of German engineers, which mean that they were the kids in HS that never got laid and never have any fun .. they were very little fun .. when partying with your inlaws is better than hanging out with your coworkers .. you know something is wrong.

So, so far Id suggest to start with the Zum Wasenwirt tent .. just check if they are legal
dcAg
Thanks. I have never heard a breakdown of tents at the Wassen.
Randy03
AG
http://www.cannstatter-volksfest.de/

Here is a link to the Wasen page, on the German page you can go to the very right and under where it says "Unsere Festwirte" that is a listing of the tents. Also the Almhüttendorf is pretty cute, it is all rustic and is supposed to be more "Alps" in style .. yeah .. like Öberbayern and Tirol .. my favorite places! But at least here it is less cheesy because it doesnt pretend to be the real thing.

If you go to the English version of the site, the information is limited, but then on the left navigation bar, it says Festival Tents, you can click on the pictures, but the information is still usually in German, again .. Stuttgart is less for foreigners than München, so you cant expect the info in English or Japanese .. but they will still happy take your money .. as long as they have € signs on them of course

[This message has been edited by Randy03 (edited 10/5/2009 2:17a).]
dcAg
I have spent a lot of time in Tirol but not in years.

I dont understand why you keep saying that Munich and Oktoberfest are SOOOOOOOOOOOO touristy. The Wiesn attracts an international crowd no doubt but people are there with the same mindset to have fun.

I have been to Oktoberfest maybe 30-40 nights over the past 7 years. I can honestly say I have not met any other Americans. Maybe it is because we dont seek out Americans or English but we dont meet any. We meet tons of Germans and Eastern Europeans but not a lot of English and no Americans.

We have a phenomenal time!
rmag8205
AG
Randy,

We are working on booking our (first time) trip to Oktoberfest for next year. In your opinion, is it more beneficial to pay more money for a hotel that is walking distance to the festivies, or to stay further out and take the train in. What are the prices roughly for train tickets?
Randy03
AG
Ask dcAg about Muenchen, he has been a ton more than me.
dcAg
Randy,
I think we are definitely going to the Volksfest for one day next year. Will probably hit it the first Monday the Volksfest opens.
Randy03
AG
The Wiesn and Wasen are both Volksfeste, the 1st and 2nd largest ones in the world .. as the Germans always say.

The only difference is marketing, the one in München markets itself a lot more and coined the term "Oktoberfest" which it uses in a lot of its marketing, particularly with foreigners.

Anyhow good luck, a Monday would be a lot better than going on the opening Friday for either one of them.
dcAg
Actually the Oktoberfest doesnt have a marketing budget. They dont "market" themselves. They pride themselves on this.

As I have said before I have met a number of European "tourists" and have met a TON of German "tourists" at Oktoberfest but no Americans.
JetSet05
AG
I have no idea how you never met any americans at Oktoberfest. Not one day passed that I did not meet anyone from the states. Plus, the Hofbrau tent is known to be full of Americans.
JetSet05
AG
I have no idea how you never met any americans at Oktoberfest. Not one day passed that I did not meet anyone from the states. Plus, the Hofbrau tent is known to be full of Americans.
Randy03
AG
dcAg and his 10-18 friends are the "loud drunk americans" thats maybe how he didnt see any of them .. the rest of us are avoiding them :p
dcAg
Randy, you crack me up! For a guy who has never been to Oktoberfest you sure do know a lot about it or rather you try to perpetuate any negative stereotypes about tourists at the Oktoberfest.

We dont hang out at the Hofbraufestzelt. We are usually at the Kaefer or the Hacker Pschorr or get reservations at the Hippodrom, Winzerer Fähnd'l or Ochsenbraterei.
rmag8205
AG
Do you happen to know when they start accepting reservations for beer tents for Oktoberfest 2010?
dcAg
Typically reservations bein in March but each tent is different. You usually have to have someone pickup the tickets in person. If you dont have someone in Germany to pick them up you might try to get reservations through your hotel.

Again, each tent is different so you might want to contact the tents to see what their requirements may be. Try the links below for tent contact info. (You really arent contacting the tents but the organization that has the rights to each tent).

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/navitem/Tents/
http://www.theoktoberfest.com/HTML/index.html#tents
rmag8205
AG
Thanks for the information! Our group is out of Houston, so we'll definitely have to try to go through the hotel I suppose once we get that booked.
dcAg
How many in your group? Any idea where you want to stay? How long are you going to be in Munich? We are going to be there Sept 23 - Oct 2.
rmag8205
AG
Looks like we'll just miss you. We have 10 people going from Sept 16 to Sept 22. We booked rooms at the Arthotel in Munich last night.
dcAg
Nice hotel, great location.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.