Interlaken recommendations??

1,792 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by ZoneClubber
Goldie Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ill be going there in a few days, does anybody have recommendations on what to do, see, etc.

Ill be in the area for about 7 to 10 days, and would like to do some hiking at some point

Thanks
Pro Sandy
AG
a suggestion on hiking from the forums on Backpacker.com

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=963107219;t=9991124009;&#top
phoenix491
AG
Take the Jungfraubahnen (train) to the top of the Jungfraujoch ... some of the most incredible scenery you'll ever witness. Incredible views of Eiger, Monch (sp?) and Jungfrau peaks, waterfalls, valleys, glaciers -- it's got a little bit of everything.

www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/DesktopDefault.aspx

[This message has been edited by phoenix491 (edited 7/6/2009 3:55p).]
rononeill
we'll be in murren next week - ive heard its one of the most beautiful places in the world. stay tuned for the report!
hds
AG
--Jungfraujoch . . . Top of Europe; we were there in mid-June and still had a lot of snow

--We did the Golden Pass Train route

--really enjoyed Lucerne . . . less than 2 hour train ride from Interlaken.
Aggie 84
AG
I would suggest staying in Murren or Lauterbrunnen. We were there for only 4 days in June and loved the area (our favorite place on our European trip). We stayed at the Chalet Fontana in Murren and the Hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen and I would highly recommend both of these.

If you have any questions just send me a PM.

schmendeler
AG
on saturday, go to the fortress furigen near lucerne. pretty cool world war II era secret hillside/cave defense base built to protect against german invasion. not many folks know about it. when we went in august we were part of a total of maybe 10 people at the time.
el_scorcho
AG
I stayed at Balmer's Herberge back in 04 and it was pretty sweet. They throw some pretty wild parties there.
jamesf
AG
Definitely sleep in the Alps. Interlaken is near the Alps, but not in it, so you need to stay either in Lauterbrunnen, Murren, or Gimmelwald. We were there a few weeks ago and we stayed in Gimmelwald. It is just down from Murren. There aren't many accommodations in the town, but the scenery is amazing. You can read more about it here. We stayed at Pension Gimmelwald. It was creaky and the ceilings were short, but the views were amazing. We were there for two nights and one day. We took the cable car to the top of the Schilthorn, where there is a restaurant and a gift shop. The James Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service was filmed there. We then took the cable car down to the next stop (called Birg) and hiked back down to Gimmelwald from there. The snow was too high to hike down from the top, and we still were in knee-deep snow in some places from Birg. It was beautiful and probably the biggest highlight of my trip.
ZoneClubber
AG
take a white water raft trip. it's extreme and fun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.